Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition + 4690K + EVGA GTX 960 + El Capitan + Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great suggestions.... only concern is using an ASUS motherboard vs. Gigabyte. I know how good ASUS mobos are amazing, but, gigabyte's seem like they were made to be hackintoshed. May take the chance and see if I can get that Asus mobo working smoothly.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

The Prodigy M case supports the mATX. The (regular) Prodigy case only supports ITX.

Thanks is for the clarification, Stork! I did not know there were multiple versions. That info really does change everything.

Great suggestions.... only concern is using an ASUS motherboard vs. Gigabyte. I know how good ASUS mobos are amazing, but, gigabyte's seem like they were made to be hackintoshed. May take the chance and see if I can get that Asus mobo working smoothly.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

From what in reading on the build thread, not much is needed to get everything running smoothly; even his iMessage is working correctly. It's becoming very common for most UEFI motherboards to be nearly fully supported using Clover and a few kexts considering many use the same audio and network chipsets. I would feel completely confident in using the Asus board in a Hackintosh-purposed build.

From what in reading on the build thread, not much is needed to get everything running smoothly; even his iMessage is working correctly. It's becoming very common for most UEFI motherboards to be nearly fully supported using Clover and a few kexts considering many use the same audio and network chipsets. I would feel completely confident in using the Asus board in a Hackintosh-purposed build.

Cool suggestions... I'm torn right now and I'm going to be searching the black friday and cyber monday sales pretty hard to see if I can save a bunch on my build. Maybe see whats on sale and then check to see both reviews and how well they work with mackintosh.

I'm wavered as much as from a zotac mini case to a prodigy m case to even a full atx. I want this to primarily serve as a plex server, htpc, and even do some video encoding (if I get around to it ;) ). Since I have a subwoofer on one side of my t.v. I've been considering a cube type case, that would make my room more symmetrical. I've found a few that should be able to accommodate both the native wifi/bluetooth card and a 950 or 960, but I haven't found one that allows you to keep the cabling as clean as you did and feed it through the bad side of your case.

If you decide to buy any of your components during the black Friday weekend, please post and let me/us know in case you find any great deals. I will make sure to do the same.

Also, one other thing. There is a post featured on the front page of tonymac that is a build that uses the i5-5675C broadwell cpu. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that this is a broadwell chip with skylake integrated 6000 series graphics embedded. Since skylake chips aren't well supported right now, it seems like a great idea,
especially, if you aren't going to purchase/run a separate GPU. However, I still need to do some research (let me know your thoughts, as well), but, I don't think the 6000 series graphics has 4K at 60 frames support that the 900 series GTX's do, correct?

Thanks and hope you all had a great weekend.

Here is what I've found so far...

"Skylake brings a lot of benefits to content creators - particularly in terms of improvements to Quick Sync and additional image processing options (including real-time 4Kp60 RAW import). However, it is a mixed bag for HTPC users. While the additional video post processing options (such as LACE for adaptive contrast enhancement) can improve quality of video playback, and the increase in graphics prowess can possibly translate to better madVR capabilities, two glaring aspects prove to be dampeners. The first one is the absence of full hardware acceleration for HEVC Main10 decode. Netflix has opted to go with HEVC Main10 for its 4K streams. When Netflix finally enables 4K streaming on PCs, Skylake, unfortunately is not going to be as power efficient a platform as it could have been. The second is the absence of a native HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 video output. Even though a LSPCon solution is suggested by Intel, it undoubtedly increases the system cost. Sinks supporting this standard have become quite affordable. For less than $600, one can get a 4K Hisense TV with HDMI 2.0 / HDCP 2.2 capability. Unfortunately, Skylake is not going to deliver the most cost-effective platform to utilize the full capabilities of such a display."

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9562/intels-skylake-gpu-analyzing-the-media-capabilities

Love this thread! Unfortunately my main video editing rig died 3 days ago, tried everything I could to fix it, however it turned out to be my motherboard :thumbdown:
I was rocking an old Asus P6T and Intel i7 920 fully hackintoshed on mountain lion.

So I bit the bullet and started looking for new parts. After looking for a little while I fell in love with how the Krait edition motherboard looked and decided to pick it up along with a 4790 and everything else I needed for a system!

I was glad to see after purchasing that someone has already successfully completed a build with almost the exact same parts as what I have!!

I finished the computer build last night and managed to post and get to BIOS no worries, will be starting the installation of El Cap very soon.

I hope you don't mind me posting any issues / queries I might run into for my build here... since it seems you have managed to get your system running so perfectly.

- Adrian

Cool suggestions... I'm torn right now and I'm going to be searching the black friday and cyber monday sales pretty hard to see if I can save a bunch on my build. Maybe see whats on sale and then check to see both reviews and how well they work with mackintosh.

I'm wavered as much as from a zotac mini case to a prodigy m case to even a full atx. I want this to primarily serve as a plex server, htpc, and even do some video encoding (if I get around to it ;) ). Since I have a subwoofer on one side of my t.v. I've been considering a cube type case, that would make my room more symmetrical. I've found a few that should be able to accommodate both the native wifi/bluetooth card and a 950 or 960, but I haven't found one that allows you to keep the cabling as clean as you did and feed it through the bad side of your case.

If you decide to buy any of your components during the black Friday weekend, please post and let me/us know in case you find any great deals. I will make sure to do the same.

Also, one other thing. There is a post featured on the front page of tonymac that is a build that uses the i5-5675C broadwell cpu. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it appears that this is a broadwell chip with skylake integrated 6000 series graphics embedded. Since skylake chips aren't well supported right now, it seems like a great idea,
especially, if you aren't going to purchase/run a separate GPU. However, I still need to do some research (let me know your thoughts, as well), but, I don't think the 6000 series graphics has 4K at 60 frames support that the 900 series GTX's do, correct?

Thanks and hope you all had a great weekend.

To be quite honest, it's still more cost efficient, readily available (broadwell is still out of stock many places), and most of all, compatible with OSX to go with a haswell gen cpu and a discrete graphics card. I also believe a GTX950 or 960 will allow for better 4K streaming as you mentioned in the post above with 4K content providers still in the process of rolling out actual content itself. The X99 series broadwell/skylake is something I may look into in the near future simply because they are offering more cores in the lower end CPU options and DDR4 memory standards. For a Plex/HTPC I think it would be extremely overkill to jump on the latest and greatest, specifically because of compatibility at the moment. I read through the X99 MSI build thread and there are quite a few extra steps to get things running correctly vs a Haswell build.

Additionally, I'll keep my eye out for BF deals but I'm probably only going to be buying a few Samsung EVO 850 SSDs and possibly a LG 43" 4K TV.. Keep me updated on what you choose; I'm very partial to Haswell builds still, considering the performance:dollar value and compatibility with OSX.

Love this thread! Unfortunately my main video editing rig died 3 days ago, tried everything I could to fix it, however it turned out to be my motherboard :thumbdown:
I was rocking an old Asus P6T and Intel i7 920 fully hackintoshed on mountain lion.

So I bit the bullet and started looking for new parts. After looking for a little while I fell in love with how the Krait edition motherboard looked and decided to pick it up along with a 4790 and everything else I needed for a system!

I was glad to see after purchasing that someone has already successfully completed a build with almost the exact same parts as what I have!!

I finished the computer build last night and managed to post and get to BIOS no worries, will be starting the installation of El Cap very soon.

I hope you don't mind me posting any issues / queries I might run into for my build here... since it seems you have managed to get your system running so perfectly.

- Adrian

Sorry to hear about your rig dying :( I believe you made a great choice in CPU and motherboard options. So far EVERYTHING is working perfectly in my build.. Just tonight I actually created a custom SSDT using this guide here:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/ssdt/177456-quick-guide-generate-ssdt-cpu-power-management.html

Which has lowered my CPU temps by about 3-6* C at idle and allows more power states during CPU processes.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help!

-Mitch

I got my El Capitan install completed with absolutely no issues, just ran up UniBeast, installed and completely post install with MultiBeast. Everything is working perfectly so far except for sleep (cant wake from sleep atm).

Only issue I am having now is trying to get dual boot set up (I am aiming for windows 7 on a partition of my boot SSD). It seems I have to force it to install in UEFI or something along those lines to allow it to boot using clover. Is this something you have done on your system?

Am extremely happy with how mac is running though, and boy is it fast.....!

Thought I would attach a pic of my system too, its pretty similar to yours except for the case. I have white LED lighting strips installed and also really want to get some individually sleeved white cables!

IMG_2531.jpg

I got my el capitan install completed with absolutely no issues, just ran up unibeast, installed and completely post install with multibeast. Everything is working perfectly so far except for sleep (cant wake from sleep atm).

Only issue I am having now is trying to get dual boot set up (I am aiming for windows 7 on a partition of my boot SSD). It seems I have to force it to install in UEFI or something along those lines to allow it to boot using clover. Is this something you have done on your system?

Am extremely happy with how mac is running though, and boy is it fast.....!

Thought I would attach a pic of my system too, its pretty similar to yours except for the case. I have white LED lighting strips installed and also really want to get some individually sleeved white cables!

View attachment 163893

Looks great!

The sleep issue is pretty odd.. what system definition are you using? The correct one for the Haswell builds is iMac 14,2.. could possibly be a motherboard setting causing the issue.

As far as dual boot, I was having the worst time getting my UEFI version of Windows 10 to format and install onto a partition of the same boot drive as my OSX install. I instead used a spare 7200rpm HDD I had laying around.. it is much slower than my mac side of things, but I only use it to play Fallout 4 right now.

Easiest way to not confuse your UEFI in the motherboard is to disconnect the OSX SSD/boot drive from power and install Windows UEFI onto a separate drive. I didn't have any luck at all running a second partition on my SSD. Windows would fail on the "copying files" portion of the install.

When creating a bootable Windows 10 USB thumb drive, you have an option for MBR or UEFI install. Always choose UEFI with UEFI motherboards. MUCH faster boot times and compatibility with Clover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back