- Feb 1, 2012
- MSI Z97 Gaming 5
- RX 580
- Mobile Phone
MSI Z97-Gaming 5 LGA 1150 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
Intel Core i5-4690k Devil’s Canyon 3.5GHz Processor
HyperX Fury Red Series 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1866
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB SSD
EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750 Watt Full Modular PSU
Western Digital Blue 1TB 3.5”
Acer - H6 Series 23” IPS LED HD Monitor
- Corsair H100i AIO Cooler
- Corsair RGB Sabre Mouse
- Sandisk SSDPlus 240GB (Now my main OSX Drive)
First off, I've wanted to build a hackintosh for the last couple years and I have finally got around too it. When I build this PC I didn't have any intentions of installing OS X but after a week of it being built I decided to take the plunge. System runs smoothly with a few minor problems such as Audio and iMessage.
As for audio I used toleda's command file https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC after install and reboot audio works fine until rebooted a second time, audio still works but the volume is extremely low, with my studio monitors on full blast and volume in Yosemite turned all the way up I can barley hear the audio with my ear against the speaker. I'm still trying to figure out what's causing this.
Edit (Audio Fixed)
Due to dual booting Windows I guess Windows leaves something in the NVRAM that made my audio mess up. This was fixed by doing a cold boot. (Shutting down completely, then powering back up straight into OS X) Thanks to Toleda http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143750-no-sound-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html
Updating on iMessage and FaceTime. Confirmed working as of 08-31-15. After I bought a Sandisk SSD and cloned my OSX install to it iMessage began working. Weird, I know.
USB 3.0 ports confirmed working (Both onboard and case) using RehabMan's FakePCIID.kext and FakePCIID_XHCIMux.kext located here https://bitbucket.org/RehabMan/os-x-fake-pci-id/downloads
Simply put these two kexts into clover's kext folder.
1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Settings - Save & Exit - Restore Defaults.
3. OC Settings - CPU Features - Disable Intel VT-d
4. OC Settings - CPU Features - Disable CFG lock
5. Save and exit.
6. I added some extra screen shots of other settings that I've changed
For the install I went with the Yosemite/Clover guide http://www.tonymacx86.com/yosemite-desktop-guides/144426-how-install-os-x-yosemite-using-clover.html
I created the USB drive, extracted the Yosemite contents as per tony's guide above. Doing the following after installing clover.
20. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ and replace default config.plist with attached config.plist*
21. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ and create a folder called 10.10
22. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add FakeSMC.kext
23. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add your ethernet kext
24. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add NullCPUPowerManagement.kext
25. Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/drivers64UEFI/ remove VBoxHfs-64.efi and add HFSPlus.efi
26. (Optional) Navigate to /EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml
I followed that whole guide to a T for installing Yosemite with Clover. Everything went pretty smoothly. No boot flags needed with this board/processor configuration.
Note: I used the HD4600 config.plist file located in the Clover guide linked above.
Post-Installation: Clover Settings
For the post install I did everything from the Clover guide, partitioned the EFI and then installed Clover with the UEFI settings.
I had all the files I needed located on another USB drive such as Ethernet kext, fake smc, clover configurator, clover etc.
6. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ and edit config.plist
7. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/ and create a folder called 10.10
7. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add FakeSMC.kext
8. Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.10/ and add your ethernet kext
9. (Optional) Navigate to /Volumes/EFI/EFI/CLOVER/ACPI/patched/ and add DSDT.aml and SSDT.aml
For the config.plist I have nothing in the ACPI section of the configurator. SMBios is a iMac 14,2 definition. Created automatically by Clover but I edited the serial, MLB, ROM and SMUUID.
About This Mac
I will update this post at a later date with more info of settings I've used and Clover dual booting.