Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon - Intel™ Core® i7-7700K-Corsair RGB 16GB RAM - AMD RX580

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the fast reply!

I have tried the ‘double Multibeast’ you mentioned (I was getting an installation failed notice for the ALC1220 on the ‘first boot’) BUT I didn’t do the double Multibeast immediately on the ‘second boot’ - only later. Is it essential to do the ‘double Multibeast’ immediately after the first boot? (In which case I’ll do a fresh install)

...Is it essential to do the ‘double Multibeast’ immediately after the first boot? (In which case I’ll do a fresh install)
Shouldn't need to do it immediately. But, you can try doing the double audio (only) again. If that doesn't work, then do the fresh install if that's not a PITA.

Thanks for the attention Stork. Fixed it now. Almost too ashamed to say how, but in case it helps someone else:

In BIOS I had HD Audio Controller --> Disabled.

Switched it to 'Enabled' and immediately all audio was there - as per the MultiBeast method (I did the 'double install' as discussed above). Only tested on headphones, audio is crisp, sensible volume, no static or background noise. Digital output and mic in are also available (untested by me).

Feel very stupid, but heads up to anybody else who started their installation process with resetting BIOS to defaults - audio may be getting switched off there.

Also:
Making the BIOS change and thus enabling the audio devices to be found by the software means that You Tube is now resumable (previously had the 'You Tube can play but not resume' problem which seems to be a symptom of not having audio devices found).

Last edited:
Quick report for anybody following this exact build:

Up and running for over two months now. Not one single kernel panic, failure to boot, crash or any bad behaviour - rock solid, and have transitioned away from my ageing MacBook Pro to make this my main Mac and work computer. Use the Mac 8hrs+ per day for all general office productivity, (and outside of work, Windows for games and VR).

Few notes:
Using Nvidia 1060 6GB , running duel display 4K and 1080p. Multi-boot system (Win 10 on NVMe and macOS 10.13.4 on SSD, each with a separate media HDD). FileVault 2 is on. Messenger, Mail, iCloud, App Store etc. all in daily use and seem to be as per native. Using Carbon Copy Cloner to clone disk to internal backup drive, just in case - very useful for troubleshooting when first building and tweaking. No WiFi hardware added so use Ethernet only.

Have NOT bothered to try to fix/enable:
HDMI audio; USB 3 seems to be working as USB 2; loading bar colour change when booting with FileVault on (effects nothing); have not enabled full continuity and handoff (but do have a GMYL Bluetooth dongle with the Broadcom BCM20702 chipset - Apple wireless keyboard works out of the box). Booting with the 4K AND 1080p monitors attached causes a black screen/no monitor output hang after entering login password - I just keep the 4K powered off until booted to desktop, then switch on, automatically detects the second monitor with no problems.

Hope that helps anybody considering this build.

----
Edit -- since I was passing by anyway.... 25th November 2018

Still using the same build (now with GTX 1080), remained on 10.13.4. Has been rock solid. This is my main computer ~ 8 hours use per day. Never a single kernel panic, apps crash no more frequently than they did on my real (laptop) Mac --- stability has been better than I could've hoped for with no problems (unless I've tried to fix something that wasn't broken :rolleyes:).

Last edited:
I got a similar device too - a MSI z270 gaming pro ca with a i5 8400. I've worked on it for a week, but I still can't get into the install UI. Would you please share your EFI folder, and let me know what was wrong in my EFI? I have posted a help post in High Sierra Desktop Support, msi z270 with i5 8400, there has s detial info of my setting,would please check where was wrong in my EFI? I'm going to install 10.3.4. Thank you.

Skuide, if you can't even get to the installer UI, then it sounds like you've got a problem with either your BIOS configuration, or the UniBeast Installer setup. I've uploaded the EFI from my UniBeast Installer USB (ie NOT my final booting Mac's EFI). This is the EFI which got me to the Installer UI. Unzip it and put on the USB's EFI partition (so EFI partition contains the unzipped folder named 'EFI' (use CloverConfigurator to mount the EFI partition, then Finder to move the files). Hope that helps.

For reference, my BIOS settings while going through the install process:

Physically remove Nvidia or remove power from card.
Plug HDMI into iGPU
Re-set to default BIOS, then setup as below:

MSI Z270 Carbon BIOS Settings
  1. Save & Exit → Restore Defaults : Yes
  2. Advanced \ Integrated Peripherals → Network Stack : [Disabled]
  3. Advanced \Integrated Peripherals → Intel Serial IO : [Disabled]
  4. Advanced \ USB Configuration → XHCI Hand-off : [Enabled]
  5. Advanced \ USB Configuration → Legacy USB Support : [Auto]
  6. Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration → MSI Fast Boot : [Disabled]
  7. Advanced \ Windows OS Configuration → Fast Boot : [Disabled]
  8. Overclocking → Extreme Memory Profile(X.M.P) : [Enabled]
  9. Overclocking \ CPU Features → Intel Virtualization Tech : [Enabled]
  10. Overclocking \ CPU Features → Intel VT-D Tech : [Disabled]
  11. Boot → Boot mode select : [LEGACY+UEFI]

Intel iGPU:
  1. Advanced \ Integrated Graphics Configuration → Initiate Graphic Adapter : IGD
  2. Advanced \ Integrated Graphics Configuration → DVMT Pre-Allocated : 96M
(Optional) Wake hackintosh from sleep thru Input:
  1. Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup → Resume By USB Device : [Enabled]
  2. Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup → Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Mouse : [Enabled]
  3. Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup → Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Mouse : [Enabled]

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    3 MB · Views: 210
Skuide, if you can't even get to the installer UI, then it sounds like you've got a problem with either your BIOS configuration, or the UniBeast Installer setup. I've uploaded the EFI from my UniBeast Installer USB (ie NOT my final booting Mac's EFI). This is the EFI which got me to the Installer UI. Unzip it and put on the USB's EFI partition (so EFI partition contains the unzipped folder named 'EFI' (use CloverConfigurator to mount the EFI partition, then Finder to move the files). Hope that helps.

Plug HDMI into iGPU

Intel iGPU:
  1. Advanced \ Integrated Graphics Configuration → Initiate Graphic Adapter : IGD
  2. Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup → Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Mouse : [Enabled]
  3. Advanced \ Wake Up Event Setup → Resume From S3/S4/S5 by PS/2 Mouse : [Enabled]
Thank you very much. I will have a try tonight. If there`s any progress, I will keep you informed. I may be the first one using a i5 8400 on Z270. If success, we will got more choice in the CPU.

Plug HDMI into iGPU

Intel iGPU:
Thanks for your help. I tried your EFI file. It still jamed at the CPU fault. I think that may be caused by the CPU identification. I have to change an other 7th CPU.

I am trying to boot mojave 10.14.2, and I can't. It won't even go to the install UI.

Tried everything from here. Anyone can comment ?

i5-6400K
Z270 Gaming Carbon
12GB RAM
MSI RX 580 8GB

Great Build!
Any Issues with the Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 3000?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back