CPU
i5 6600k
Graphics
1050 Ti Gigabyte Windforce OC
Mac
  1. MacBook
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
First I'd like to thank tominabox1 for posting his success story here.

Updated April 12, 2017

Just need to get dual monitors to work and no sound, but everything else works dandy. Intel HD 530 works on both HDMI and DVI but I can't select which (though if both are plugged in it goes to HDMI after 10.12.4 update).

Context: Before starting, I already installed Windows 10 EFI on a separate SSD and an additional 1TB NTFS formatted HDD. I installed 10.12.2 Sierra (and now updated to 10.12.4) on a 120GB SSD. Here is my build:
  • MSI z170m Mortar Motherboard
  • Dual SSD + 1TB NTFS HDD
  • 16 GB of 2400 mhz RAM (4x Geil 4 GB moduales) --> Turned XMP on after complete install w/ no issues
  • i5 6600k --> Not overclocked for now
  • Running only Intel 530 Graphics
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here were my steps:

*If you have trouble with macOS/macOS installer not running from Clover, give it a few tries. I had to. It also helps to shut down the system and start it up from complete/cold off when having trouble with it.

1. BIOS (updated version E7972IMS.A90) settings:
1. Overclocking\CPU Features\ Intel VT-D Tech --> [Disabled]
2. Overclocking\CPU Features\ Intel C-State --> [Disabled]
3. Overclocking\CPU Features\ Intel Virtualization Tech --> [Disabled]
4. Settings\Advanced\Integrated Peripherals\ HPET --> [Enabled]
5. Settings\Advanced\Integrated Graphics Configuration\ Initiate Graphic Adapter --> [PEG]* Very important as mine would not startup on IGD.*
6. Settings\Advanced\USB Configuration\ XHCI Hand-off --> [Enabled]
7. Settings\Advanced\Super IO Configuration\Serial(COM) Port0 Configuration\ Serial(COM) Port0 --> [Disabled]
8. Settings\Advanced\Power Management Setup\ EuP 2013 --> [Enabled]
9. Settings\Advanced\Windows OS Configuration\ Windows 8.1/10 WHQL Support --> [Disabled]
10. Settings\Advanced\Windows OS Configuration\ Windows 7 Installation --> [Disabled]
11. Settings\Advanced\Wake Up Event Setup\ Resume by USB Device --> [Enabled]
12. Settings\Boot\ Boot mode select --> [UEFI]
13. Settings\Boot\ Boot Option #1 --> [UEFI USB Key] *This is so it starts off the USB drive EFI settings instead of your macOS install which doesn't have an updated EFI/Clover settings until you run Multibeast or Clover Configurator.

14. (Optional) Settings\Advanced\Integrated Graphics Configuration\ Initiate Graphic Adapter --> [1024MB]*in other words, if you are using intel graphics like me and got enough memory, set it to the max. More info at end.​

2. Create a USB EFI boot drive using Unibeast on your origin Mac, link here (fyi, just use Sierra 10.12.4 and it won't make a difference to what worked for me). Now here you can do one of three things:
  1. Mount USB drive EFI (if it is not already right after Unibeast USB drive creation) and copy over/replace it with my EFI folder attached to this post. This will skip a few steps if a simple Unibeast USB drive doesn't allow you to install yet.
  2. Use Clover Configurator to mount USB EFI and setup it up for your system with patches/settings, which is what I did by accident but helped out for smoother install.
  3. See if you don't need to do this step at all.
3. Boot up using the macOS USB drive created by Unibeast. Clover should come up. Select the external USB and install Sierra. It should automatically restart, but just make sure that you boot off your USB drive after the install if you used my EFI.

4. Run Multibeast 9.0.1 (internet should work if you used my EFI):

MultiBeast Configuration - 2017-04-03 -----------------------------------------------------------------
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC Plugins v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > Misc > FakeSMC HWMonitor Application v6.21-311-g2958f55.1723
Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement v1.0.0d2
Drivers > Network > Realtek > RealtekRTL8111 v2.2.1 Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit
Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 17,1 Drivers > Graphics > Intel HD 530​

Shut down and cold start.
5. This step might be optional... I forget though because I had multiple successful installs while trying to get the sound to work.

Download the latest Clover Configurator (Google it). Then just run the steps at tominabox1 success story. Don't forget to update Clover in the Configurator (I dunno if this is necessary), then Restart.
NOTE: You will likely have to run Multibeast after any OS update.​

6. Done
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Graphics:
My biggest difference between tominabox1 and myself was that I was using Intel 530 graphics and him a Nvidia graphics card. The Intel 530 is known for issues with artifacts and jittering. I believe it is a problem with improper OS reading of the VRAM allocation.

Initially, before installing Sierra 10.12.4, "About this Mac" showed my Intel 530 at 7 MB allocated VRAM, awfully small. After running Clover Configurator, it showed up as Intel HD Graphics 7000 at 7 MB. Still glitching out for me. It wasn't until I updated the OS to 10.12.4 that it has gone away. And this also seems to be a fix for many people using Intel 530 ONLY. It now shows up as "Intel HD Graphics 7000 1536 MB." I also have the settings on the motherboard to the max which is at around 1024 MB.

NOTE: Integrated graphics should be set to PEG not IGP in motherboard settings. Otherwise Clover won't start up the installer or OS (at least for me). I also ran it at the max integrated graphics VRAM at 1024ish MB (see more notes on graphics below).
I hope this helps someone as others' posts helped me. I like this motherboard but I can't get the sound to work yet. Any input on this from your successes would be helpful!

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    15.5 MB · Views: 268
Last edited:
[UPDATE] MY GOODNESS SUCCESS AT LAST! I have just booted direct from my hard drive!

Strange, I did some things different from the guide you outlined above:
1. In BIOS, I specified boot from IGP not PEG. I did as you spec'd earlier (PEG) but this made no sense since there was no graphics card in the machine.
2. In MULTIBEAST, I specified a driver for the hard drive (I believe Generic Intel). This was not mentioned in your previous message, so I had figured that this was the problem earlier when I couldn't boot from SSD.

ALSO - the boot up is inconsistent. I have been successful several times during testing, but also could not boot up a few times. I wonder what the cause of this is, and how we can overcome it?

Overall, thanks a lot and at least my hackintosh is booting from SSD. Thats a first, and now on to the next stage! I hope I can get this running reliably with FCPx in the next day or so, then after that I will look into putting an ATTI graphics card into it.

rgds/ RandyQ

[PREVIOUS MESSAGE]

hi DCMan,
Thanks for the setup information - I am following this closely because we have a similar setup (MSI Z170 Mortar and using built-in graphics). Unfortunately, I am struggling to get it going still. One question - why have you setup Integrated Graphics as PEG (and not IGD) when you are not using a graphics board? This is similar to what I am trying to do, but its not working yet.

rgds/ RandyQ

As stated above, I couldn't start up with IGP. I believe you are over-thinking this a bit. PEG works with integrated graphics.

Inconsistent startups are already covered above. I keep having it happen on occasion, but it hasn't stopped me from getting it going.

Some drivers will do nothing for you even if you think you need them. People will have different experiences depending on their machine.

The only way for me to boot with Nvidia GTX 1060 on same MOBO is with PEG enabled.
The card is recognized even if display only 8 MB instead than 6 GB :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back