Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] MSI B360 Gaming Plus - i7 8700 - GTX 1070 - High Sierra 10.13.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the quick reply. I disabled the 10.13 port limit patch and added the 10.14 patch. It fails to boot most of the time without the slide-0 boot option. I think it hangs failing to allocate dynamic memory. One other thing - the Clover boot loader only gives me one option from which to boot - my main SSD. My prior configuration offered me four options. I can't seem to get it to give me the other options.

I’m using the following 64UEFI drivers: apfsDriverLoader-64, DataHubDxe-64, FSInject-64, OsxAptioFix2Drv-64, SMCHelper, and VBoxHFS-64. I've included my config and kext files.

Boot flags are: slide=0, dart=0, and nv_disable=1, darkwake=0

Now we're getting somewhere. I went ahead and built a new set for you to try.

Attachments

• ACPI.zip
    1.9 KB · Views: 116
  • KEXT and 64UEFI.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 181
  • config.plist
    8.6 KB · Views: 202
Last edited:
Now we're getting somewhere. I went ahead and built a new set for you to try.
Thank you so much for the files. No problems booting. All USB ports working. Sound outputs work. But I still have the problem with the system responding slowly after a short while. At the beginning it responds instantaneously to clicks, text entry, etc. Then, at a random time it ceases to respond quickly although the cursor responds quickly with no jump or jitter. Also, I'll have to check some more but when I put it to sleep and tried to wake it, it didn't wake. I had to restart it. One interesting thing is that it will automatically go to sleep and wake up on mouse click even though it has frozen.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Thank you so much for the files. No problems booting. All USB ports working. Sound outputs work. But I still have the problem with the system responding slowly after a short while. At the beginning it responds instantaneously to clicks, text entry, etc. Then, at a random time it ceases to respond quickly although the cursor responds quickly with no jump or jitter. Also, I'll have to check some more but when I put it to sleep and tried to wake it, it didn't wake. I had to restart it. One interesting thing is that it will automatically go to sleep and wake up on mouse click even though it has frozen.

I really appreciate your help. Thank you.

You’re very welcome!

Have you booted into windows with this machine? Do you notice anything in Windows? Have you opened Activity Monitor in Mojave to see if anything is hogging CPU/GPU/RAM?

You’re very welcome!

Have you booted into windows with this machine? Do you notice anything in Windows? Have you opened Activity Monitor in Mojave to see if anything is hogging CPU/GPU/RAM?
I don't have Windows so don't have any experience with it. However, I have Activity Monitor open all the time and when it freezes and is slow, it generally is over 90% idle. I see no difference in the Activity Monitor between when the system is responding quickly and when it is not. Safari is taking more of the RAM than anything - ~180 MB.

I don't have Windows so don't have any experience with it. However, I have Activity Monitor open all the time and when it freezes and is slow, it generally is over 90% idle. I see no difference in the Activity Monitor between when the system is responding quickly and when it is not. Safari is taking more of the RAM than anything - ~180 MB.
Assuming you installed HWMonitor, can you post screenshots of system activity during normal speeds and slow speeds? I’m beginning to wonder if this is more hardware related than software..

What are your full system build specs, including RAM, type of ram, which slots the DIMMS are installed into (if not all 4 of your slots), which power supply, etc.

I've attached my HW build components, the memory locations, and two snapshots of my screen, one while the system was zippy and one while it was tardy. Each shows the results of both HWMonitor and Activity Monitor. I hope this helps diagnose the problem. Thanks.

By the way, I couldn't complete my power management profile since it couldn't recognize my Core i5 8600K.

Attachments

• Files for MESwan.zip
    26.6 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I see, I see. It looks like your Anti-Virus is sort of running rampant at 22% utilization during slow times. I'm curious to see what the RAM read outs are for the same periods.

Grab a tool called EtreCheck from the macOS App Store. It's free. It will run a full diagnostic on which programs are eating you up. Try running during normal and slow times.

After a little research as well, it looks like your RAM is clocked faster than your Aorous B360 supports - Max 2666MHz, you're sitting on 2998MHz. Try downclocking the RAM in your Mobo BIOS.

I see, I see. It looks like your Anti-Virus is sort of running rampant at 22% utilization during slow times. I'm curious to see what the RAM read outs are for the same periods.

Grab a tool called EtreCheck from the macOS App Store. It's free. It will run a full diagnostic on which programs are eating you up. Try running during normal and slow times.

After a little research as well, it looks like your RAM is clocked faster than your Aorous B360 supports - Max 2666MHz, you're sitting on 2998MHz. Try downclocking the RAM in your Mobo BIOS.

Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded EtreCheck and will be running it. I looked at the BIOS options for RAM and don't see how to downclock it. It is specified at 2667 MHz right now. I'm attaching my BIOS memory settings below.

Attachments

• BIOS Memory Settings.zip
    2.1 MB · Views: 150
Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions. I downloaded EtreCheck and will be running it. I looked at the BIOS options for RAM and don't see how to downclock it. It is specified at 2667 MHz right now. I'm attaching my BIOS memory settings below.
Do you have XMP enabled? If so, switch to an alternate profile and see if your ram frequency is decreased. There should be an option to manually specify which frequency band you’re wanting to target.

Do you have XMP enabled? If so, switch to an alternate profile and see if your ram frequency is decreased. There should be an option to manually specify which frequency band you’re wanting to target.
I had XMP enabled with Profile1, which is the only one available. So, I disabled XMP which then set the RAM frequency to 21XX MHz. But there is no difference in the behavior of my system. EtreCheck found one major issue: System Integrity Protection is disabled. I enabled it following the instructions, but when the system reboots, the Protection is disabled again. This doesn't seem like a significant issue to me. It also said that I had more than one antivirus program. So, I uninstalled one of them (AVG Antivirus). No change to performance. In addition to slowing down and eventually dying, my system will automatically restart sometime after it goes to sleep. It will do this continuously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back