Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Ventura on i9-10850K Z490M Gaming X

@curro Since you're not getting a response, I was curious to find out. I don't have your motherboard to look at the actual BIOS screens, but I looked at the Gigabyte manual (on-line) and couldn't find those BIOS options in the manual. If you don't have any problems, I wouldn't worry about them.

@curro Since you're not getting a response, I was curious to find out. I don't have your motherboard to look at the actual BIOS screens, but I looked at the Gigabyte manual (on-line) and couldn't find those BIOS options in the manual. If you don't have any problems, I wouldn't worry about them.

You are right. I was able to update my current EFI folder with the help of another guide so it fixed the sleep problem running with the internal GPU.

I just received my Yeston RX560-4G video card so my next task is to update my EFI to run on this video card. My understanding is that running a hackintosh on a Z490 OpenCore platform with the internal GPU is not a good idea in terms of stability long term.

I appreciate your follow up deeveedee.

Guide has been updated for MacOS Monterey 12.1.

@mods - not sure if this post should be moved to the Monterey Desktop Guides section (or if that is even possible?)
done :)

milmber, great documentation. I finished a GA-Z490 Elite build with a RX6800XT in it about 10 days ago. Long time hackintosher (15+ years), but first shot at OpenCore, so it took a while. But, everything works ... I thought. Until I read your writeup and then realized, no the GPU fan does not run! That was a pricey card, so thanks for the save. I have exchanged the OC kexts you recommended and everything boots file and everything (even the Fenvi T919 as you commented) works great. I don't mess with DRM on this computer so won't worry with that one.

Question: what software do you use for HW monitoring? I have never really worried about heat issues before. But this was expensive hardware and I'd like to start keeping tabs on it.

Thanks in advance.

Question: what software do you use for HW monitoring?

You should be able to use statsd (open source) or istats menu (commercial).

Note that you will need to replace VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext with FakeSMC.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, IntelMCHMonitor.kext, ITEIT87x.kext and RadeonMonitor.kext as per the guide.

I believe the latest version of FakeSMC.kext should have support for Radeon 9600XT temperature monitoring based on the latest release notes in Github, however to date I have not found a way to monitor the fan speed.

If you search online in some of the usual places, there is a lively debate from the developer of OpenCore where he states that in principle HW monitoring should not be implemented unless natively supported by MacOS to ensure compatibility with future versions of MacOS. Fortunately the developer of FakeSMC takes a different approach.

You should be able to use statsd (open source) or istats menu (commercial).

Note that you will need to replace VirtualSMC.kext, SMCProcessor.kext and SMCSuperIO.kext with FakeSMC.kext, IntelCPUMonitor.kext, IntelMCHMonitor.kext, ITEIT87x.kext and RadeonMonitor.kext as per the guide.

I believe the latest version of FakeSMC.kext should have support for Radeon 9600XT temperature monitoring based on the latest release notes in Github, however to date I have not found a way to monitor the fan speed.

If you search online in some of the usual places, there is a lively debate from the developer of OpenCore where he states that in principle HW monitoring should not be implemented unless natively supported by MacOS to ensure compatibility with future versions of MacOS. Fortunately the developer of FakeSMC takes a different approach.
Thanks for the reply. I did get monitoring set up as you recommended and with my RX6800XT the temps run between 50-60 degrees C as that is the way the fan control is set up by default.

I really liked your approach to doing the bios mod and injecting the PowerPlay string via opencore, I went down that road. It worked great right up until I needed to reload and patch the bios with the RedBios editor, which apparently does not support the RX6800XT. I did not find any substitute to do it and have no idea how to do it otherwise.

I grasped the concept of what you were doing, and understood it, but have never done anything like it before, so wasn't sure if there was another piece of software that would do the same thing. Or another way to patch that part of the bios. If you do know of an alternate method that does not rely on the RedBios software, please let me know.

It does worry me that the RX6800XT floats between 50-60 degrees C. So I took it out for now and am running the RX580 that was in my previous build. I barely notice any difference day to day, but I haven't started video editing yet. Plus, I spend an arm and leg on that video card and would like to get it to work.

Thanks for any input you may have.

It does worry me that the RX6800XT floats between 50-60 degrees C. So I took it out for now and am running the RX580 that was in my previous build. I barely notice any difference day to day, but I haven't started video editing yet. Plus, I spend an arm and leg on that video card and would like to get it to work.

What does your setup look like? I had similar high temp issues running two 2k displays on my 5600XT where my temps were 50-60C at idle before the fan kicked in. This stopped when I switched to a single 4K display where I get ±40C at idle (i.e. the browsing and general desktop use)

Last edited:
Back