Contribute
Register

[Success] Mojave 10.14.6 GA Z170X UD5 TH i7 6700K 32GB Ram 2400MHz PowerCooler Radeon RX 580 8GB

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
It wouldn't be very useful. I really need these 2 cards.

I might try to remove them just so I know. Does your Z170X-UD5-TH shutdown properly without NVIDIA 970?
I haven't tried it without a graphics card. I had a GT 740 at first, then bought this 970 on sale at Best Buy and simply swapped them out. I could test without the 970; would I need to do anything special, or just remove it and plug my monitor into the onboard graphics?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Performa, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Forget it, EddyMac. Switching to the internal GPU is non-trivial. Don't do it. Unless you like a challenge(and have a backup of your Clover EFI)

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Intel 530 (onboard)
I don't see a select boot disk screen, but I also have the flicker and distorted graphics at 75% of the boot process. I also had this with my old rig, weird graphics just before the desktop shows. Comes free with a hack...
My old hack popped the tonymac logo, which I always found quite amusing. And why not, credit to those who do the hard work. The flicker doesn't bother me, just curious about the select boot disk screen. I think I might be able to kill it with clover configurator, but rather than risking a bigger problem, I reckon I may just leave it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Why don't you try taking the Firewire card out and whatever the UAD2 Quad is. Not many minutes wasted if it's not them. I did have a Firewire card that cause a shutdown/restart issue before and had to change to a different brand.
Well. Waddayaknow. My once trusty(used for 4 years without problems in my Z68 rig) Startech FW card causes the reboot..
No FW card, proper shutdown(with all the rest of my gear attached). FW card plugged in, reboot.
Tried several PCIe slots, shouldn't make a difference and it didn't.

What FW card are you using, Eddymac?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Intel 530 (onboard)
Well. Waddayaknow. My once trusty(used for 4 years without problems in my Z68 rig) Startech FW card causes the reboot..
No FW card, proper shutdown(with all the rest of my gear attached). FW card plugged in, reboot.

This as me wondering what causes my reboot... Even if I pull the pci wifi card, I keep getting reboots on usb... The only way I get it to shot down is with wired mouse and keyboard and NO other usb devices of any type plugged in. Weird...

Motherboard
GA-Z170X-UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS

I don't use Firewire any more. I used to have a bunch of WD Studio drives, but have now dismantled most of those and taken out the drives for other purposes. I have a external dock that uses USB 3.

I do still have the FW cards somewhere. One is the Startech like yours, and the other is something else...Syba I think. One worked in my wife's hack and one worked in mine. I've temporarily misplaced the Syba...would be glad to test it for you if I could find it. I'll dig a little deeper and let you know if I come across it.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
This as me wondering what causes my reboot... Even if I pull the pci wifi card, I keep getting reboots on usb... The only way I get it to shot down is with wired mouse and keyboard and NO other usb devices of any type plugged in. Weird...
Fixshutdown in Clover is on?

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 Designare
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
RX480
Mac
MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
I don't use Firewire any more. I used to have a bunch of WD Studio drives, but have now dismantled most of those and taken out the drives for other purposes. I have a external dock that uses USB 3.

I do still have the FW cards somewhere. One is the Startech like yours, and the other is something else...Syba I think. One worked in my wife's hack and one worked in mine. I've temporarily misplaced the Syba...would be glad to test it for you if I could find it. I'll dig a little deeper and let you know if I come across it.
Thanks! Only thing, Syba is not easy to get/quite expensive in my part of the world. But anyway, it would be great if you could test if it works properly.
I have a high end audio interface that needs FW to work. Can't do without FW yet.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z170X UD5 TH
CPU
i7 6700
Graphics
Intel 530 (onboard)
Well, I'll be... I've just fixed the resolution problem on the monitor (dell ultrasharp). All patches, settings and tweaks failing, I decided to just plug in a dvi cable with an adapter. And voila, it works. No thunderbolt or hdmi, but an adapted dvi cable fixed it.