Contribute
Register

[Success] Mini-ITX build GIGABYTE Z390 I AORUS PRO WiFi + i9 9900K

After reading this entire thread I'm amazed that no one has had my only problem, which is that "Shutdown" from the Apple menu always results in a restart. "Restart" works fine, but to shut down I have to use the "hold power button for a few seconds" method. Have tried many config.plist changes, different UEFI driver schemes, reinstallation of Mojave 10.14.5, changing SMBIOS, etc. but nothing has worked.
UEFI/BIOS is Gigabyte version F5 (latest at this writing) for the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Build number of 10.14.5 is 18F132. This system did shut down properly under High Sierra 10.13.6 Build 17G7024 (and previous), but updating to Mojave seems to have caused the problem. If anyone has suggestions I will appreciate them very much! (Also "Heaven" and "Valley" OpenGL benchmark apps no longer open.) Thanks for reading.

After reading this entire thread I'm amazed that no one has had my only problem, which is that "Shutdown" from the Apple menu always results in a restart. "Restart" works fine, but to shut down I have to use the "hold power button for a few seconds" method. Have tried many config.plist changes, different UEFI driver schemes, reinstallation of Mojave 10.14.5, changing SMBIOS, etc. but nothing has worked.
UEFI/BIOS is Gigabyte version F5 (latest at this writing) for the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI. Build number of 10.14.5 is 18F132. This system did shut down properly under High Sierra 10.13.6 Build 17G7024 (and previous), but updating to Mojave seems to have caused the problem. If anyone has suggestions I will appreciate them very much! (Also "Heaven" and "Valley" OpenGL benchmark apps no longer open.) Thanks for reading.
Hello! I did not have that problem. Have you tried to go back to an earlier version of BIOS. I have the factory BIOS and never update it. It works great without problems. Only when updating to 10.14.5, I noticed a bit of delay in the startup and shutdown. (I have activated -v Verbose Mode.) It is not much, just 2 or 4 seconds more. More text is shown (due to the -v mode), after that I do not notice any problem. Everything works like an original mac, except the Bluetooth.

I had this motherboard before I replaced it with ASRock z390 Phantom ITX, because I could not replace the WiFi/BT card. But I had sleep/restart problems and I deleted all "com.apple.PowerManagement..." files in /Library/Preferences. That solved the sleep problems. But maybe you tried that?

I have the factory BIOS and never update it. It works great without problems.
Thanks for your reply. What version of the BIOS are you using? Version F5 is noted by Gigabyte as being
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Support Intel Optane H10
  5. Support 32G UDIMM

I deleted all "com.apple.PowerManagement..." files in /Library/Preferences. That solved the sleep problems. But maybe you tried that?
Thanks for your suggestion. Actually I had read your previous post and did try that. The number of "PowerManagement..." files was originally higher and your suggestion did reduce them from four to two. However it did not solve the problem, nor did "fix shutdown," nor did "Slide=0" with "EMUVariable..." nor did any number of my other shots in the dark.

Thanks for your reply. What version of the BIOS are you using? Version F5 is noted by Gigabyte as being
  1. Support of future 9th Generation Intel® Core™ processors
  2. Update CPU microcode
  3. Update Intel IRST version
  4. Support Intel Optane H10
  5. Support 32G UDIMM

Thanks for your suggestion. Actually I had read your previous post and did try that. The number of "PowerManagement..." files was originally higher and your suggestion did reduce them from four to two. However it did not solve the problem, nor did "fix shutdown," nor did "Slide=0" with "EMUVariable..." nor did any number of my other shots in the dark.
I don't know if this is related, but I have another build I did for a friend with ASRock Z370 Gaming 7 (atx), and there have been sleep problems after 10.14.5 update. (I am quite sure.) It seems stable now after creating a USB-DSDT file, and the last thing was to delete the PowerManagement files. Take a look at this post by @rj510 (a real wizard this guy) because it also USB related.

Now one sure way to relate your problems to USB is to try to plug in and out all the USB ports. On my problem build it crashed always at some point when plugging in and out USB3 or USB-C. Also do you get any crash log when it restarts? That would give some more information like ...com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily... (USB related). I am by far an amateur but it seems logical to me that, when you sleep or shut down, the OS has to prepare something related to hardware. So to shut down, it is not able to close/release connections to ports and goes panic (freaks out) which in turn restarts. I have to understand this in my head :)

I haven't had any trouble with USB. My ports are per the SSDT that I made using MacMan's "kextless" technique, and IORegistry Explorer verifies that I have the correct 15 ports active. (They all work.)

I did an experiment by clearing my Power Management log in System Report, and then attempting a shutdown. The result is attached. Unfortunately I don't what to make of it. Any comment?

Attachments

• Log after shutdown attempt.jpg.zip
    105.1 KB · Views: 98
So you issued a shutdown and it restarted? The only thing I can understand from the log is that a process crashes when trying to end. It can be a USB connection or audio or video driver (often these problems with Nvidia cards). Can you try to add "nv_disable=1" at clover boot and see if it helps?
In Energy Saver is "Wake for ethernet access" off? It should be. What if you toggle it on and off. Then in terminal -> sudo shutdown -h now
When you do this have only your keyboard and mouse connected.

Can you try to add "nv_disable=1" at clover boot and see if it helps?
No help. Not surprising since as far as I know there are no files related to Nvidia graphics on this computer, and there never have been.
In Energy Saver is "Wake for ethernet access" off? It should be.
Yes, it is off. As are all the other checkboxes in that window.
What if you toggle it on and off. Then in terminal -> sudo shutdown -h now
When you do this have only your keyboard and mouse connected.
I tried that, although I still had Ethernet and the audio line output and monitor connected. The computer restarted as always. I will now try it again with Ethernet and the audio line output disconnected and report back here with an "Edit."

[Edit: Repeating the test as above, the computer restarted as always, in response to the Terminal command. (Please keep in mind that the power button on the front panel of the Cooler Master computer case is always successful in shutting the computer down.) Any reason to re-flash my UEFI/BIOS with the same version of firmware I am using (F5)?]

Last edited:
Is there any possibility that the UEFI BIOS for the Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI can be used with the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard? I only ask because the latest ATX motherboard BIOS is a later revision than the Mini-ITX motherboard BIOS, and I wonder if the later BIOS might fix my Shutdown->Restart problem. I already know that could be dangerous, and won't try it unless I become really desperate!

[Edit: Scratch that, they are identical even though the version numbers are different. No advantage to the ATX BIOS version. Which parameters or line items in the DSDT relate to shutdown? Would a SSDT be needed for this computer to modify the DSDT to allow proper shutdown?]

Last edited:
Is there any possibility that the UEFI BIOS for the Z390 AORUS PRO WIFI can be used with the Z390 I AORUS PRO WIFI motherboard? I only ask because the latest ATX motherboard BIOS is a later revision than the Mini-ITX motherboard BIOS, and I wonder if the later BIOS might fix my Shutdown->Restart problem. I already know that could be dangerous, and won't try it unless I become really desperate!

[Edit: Scratch that, they are identical even though the version numbers are different. No advantage to the ATX BIOS version. Which parameters or line items in the DSDT relate to shutdown? Would a SSDT be needed for this computer to modify the DSDT to allow proper shutdown?]
I am running 1.6 and read not to upgrade to 4.0. I have no problems at all with shutdown. (I know it does not help you!). A possibility is to flash the 1.6 again since I have read it could help. I also read that some midi driver was screwing up. I would try this, make a clean OSX install, nothing added. Vanilla config should work. I never had shutdown problems from the start. Can there be something you installed that you have overlooked. I don't think booting from USB will help since other drivers will load from Macintosh HD. I would take this approach as I often do after hours of testing and restart. Clean slate. As far as DSDT related to shutdown I don't think I have anything checked for that. Did you look at @rj510 files?

Back