Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] macOS Sierra 10.12.1 | Gigabyte GA-170X-UD3 Ultra | Intel i7-6700k | GTX 950

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-170X-UD3 Ultra
CPU
i7-6700K
Graphics
GTX 950
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
  2. Mac mini
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This is my first Hackintosh build, and overall I think it went extremely well. The following is a guide should you decide to build using the same motherboard/processor/graphics card combination.

Suffice it to say, with the rig being up and running for about one week now, I'm still discovering new "anomalies". I consider each new one a challenge and thanks to this awesome community here a tonymacx86, I'm sure I'll get this sucker working 100%. I'll do my best to keep this post updated and maintain an accurate update log as well.

If anyone catches a typo or error, please let me know and I'll fix it up.

============================================
UPDATES:

11/26/16 -
iMessage is working. Just followed P1LGRIM's excellent write-up An iDiot's Guide To iMessage.

============================================​
Bill of Materials:
  • Gigabyte GA-170X-UD3 Ultra (rev 1.0)
  • Intel i7-6700k
  • Gigabyte GeForce GTX 950 (GV-N950EXTREME-2GD)
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2x16GB kit)
  • Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" 500GB SATAIII SSD
  • Corsair RM650X Power Supply
  • Corsair H60 Liquid CPU Cooler
  • OSX WIFI Apple Broadcom Bcm94360cd - 802.11 A/B/G/N/AC + Bluetooth 4.0
  • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Anthracite Gray Mid-Tower Case
Installation:
  1. Follow tonymacx86's UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC
    1. STEP 1: Download macOS Sierra
    2. STEP 2: Create a Bootable USB Drive with UniBeast
    3. STEP 3: Recommended BIOS Settings
      1. NOTE: Could not locate CFG-Lock setting in the BIOS
      2. Secure Boot Mode = Secure Boot State ??? (Default = disabled)
  2. Go to tonymacx86's Skylake Thunderbolt 3 Test Build: GA-Z170X-UD5-TH - i5-6600K
    1. Follow the STEP BY STEP THUNDERBOLT 3 SETUP STEP 1 though STEP 7 exactly with the following exceptions:
      1. Download the GA-170X-UD3 Ultra firmware from http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5891#bios
      2. I used the F5b (beta) version because the latest F20 says it prohibits you from downgrading to previous BIOS versions
      3. Also the proper Thunderbolt FW Update Tool is B16.0707.1 located at http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5891#utility
  3. Return to tonymacx86's UniBeast: Install macOS Sierra on Any Supported Intel-based PC and continue with:
    1. STEP 4: Install macOS Sierra
    2. STEP 5: Post Install with MultiBeast [make the following selections:]
      1. Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
      2. Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > ALC892
      3. Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > Optional 3 Port Optional (5.1) Audio
      4. Drivers > Audio > Realtek ALCxxx > 100 Series Audio
      5. Drivers > Network > Intel > IntelMausiEthernet v2.2.0
      6. Drivers > USB > Increase Max Port Limit
      7. Bootloaders > Clover v2.3k r3766 UEFI Boot Mode
      8. Customize > System Definitions > iMac > iMac 14,2
      9. At STEP 5.12, go ahead and install the NVIDIA Alternate Graphics Drivers for OS X 10.12.1 (16B2657) found here --> http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/110844/
    3. Reboot
  4. At this point you will still not have graphic acceleration until you perform the next step:
    1. Install Clover Configurator --> http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/
    2. Select Mount EFI and enter your password
    3. Navigate to the EFI > CLOVER > config.plist
    4. right-click and Open With > Clover Configurator
    5. Make the following selections:
      1. Acpi > FixShutdown (Old Way)
      2. System Parameters > NvidiaWeb
    6. Go to the lower left and select the second icon (Export Configuration) and select Save
    7. Reboot
  5. Next head on over to toleda's Audio - Realtek ALC AppleHDA [Guide]
    1. Skip down to II. Realtek ALC AppleHDA Scripts and follow steps 1 though 5
    2. I used the third script - audio_pikeralphaALC-120.command.zip
That's it! You should have an almost 100% functional build. Here is a breakdown of what I have tested and works as well as what still needs to be completed.

What works:
  • Thunderbolt via USB-C port on the I/O panel. I used an Apple USB-C to Thunderbolt 1/2 adapter ($29 at my local Apple Store). See Post #10 here for details.
  • USB 3.0 speeds confirmed on all blue ports (front and rear)
  • USB 3.1 (red) port on the rear I/O panel is functional at USB 3.0 speeds, but I don't have any 3.1 devices to test beyond 5GB/s capacity.
  • Handoff/Continuity/Wi-Fi/Bluetooth worked right out-of-the-box thanks to the OSX WIFI Apple/Broadcom card -- HIGHLY RECOMMENDED! --> http://www.osxwifi.com/apple-broadc...-bluetooth-4-0-with-adapter-for-pc-hackintosh It's a little pricier than some of the other solutions out there, but I spent absolutely ZERO time fussing with any of the features enabled by using this card. So that alone is worth the extra $40 or so premium (for me).
  • Audio, thanks to toleda's guide (Installation step 5. above)
  • LAN/Ethernet port (confirmed)
  • I was having issues with rebooting on shutdown, but FixShutdown seems to have fixed that.
  • Sleep/Wake seems to have been fixed by the FixShutdown as well...(sorta) let me explain:
    • It seems after going to sleep, you need to hit the power button (just a tap, holding down will power off the machine). This method wil consistently wake the computer AND the monitor.
    • If you just use the mouse or keyboard, the computer wakes up but the monitor does not come back on. It looks like it tries to but then just goes into "energy save mode". It's all good if you are not in the habit of hitting a key on the keyboard or jiggling the mouse (like I am). Otherwise you are forced to power down and reboot, even though the computer woke up. BTW, I tried this with both DVI and DisplayPort cables with no difference in behavior. I'll have to keep on this one unless someone has a recommendation.
What's next:
  • Fix iMessage (see UPDATES: above)
  • Confirm USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 speeds (need to acquire devices $$$ :lol:)

Last edited:
Thanks for the very thorough guide! Sorry noob question:
To be clear, if I'm following the steps in order, to get thunderbolt working you boot into Windows BEFORE installing Sierra? And once in Windows you setup the thunderbolt following the tonymac thunderbolt setup?
Why did you do this before installing Sierra? Thanks!

Also wondering this. Is it possible to install Sierra first, then boot into windows and update firmware?

I have nearly the same setup as yours except I have a 1TB Samsung SSD and and MSI HD7950 graphics (but i am using the internal HDMI output). I have spent over a week using the different methodologies here and cannot get the machine to boot after installation. I have redone my USB stick several times and still no go. When I used the guide [GUIDE] Sierra on the GA-Z170X-UD3, the USB stick hangs on boot, cannot even get to the install.

Thoughts?!?!

Bit of a noob question, apologies in advance.

So far so good on my first install w/ a similar build. However I can't seem to get Toleda's method for audio to work.
Do I simply download .command file from II. Realtek ALC AppleHDA Scripts and double-click it to run in terminal? That's it?
I had permission problems with audio_pikeralphaALC-120.command.zip. Now fixed, but I'm unable to get to the y/n section.. Any suggestions?

Bit of a noob question, apologies in advance.

So far so good on my first install w/ a similar build. However I can't seem to get Toleda's method for audio to work.
Do I simply download .command file from II. Realtek ALC AppleHDA Scripts and double-click it to run in terminal? That's it?
I had permission problems with audio_pikeralphaALC-120.command.zip. Now fixed, but I'm unable to get to the y/n section.. Any suggestions?

Ledde,

Not sure what could be wrong. My recollection is exactly as I described in the guide. Run the script, enter password, answer yes, yes, yes, reboot.

The only thing I can think of is the password may be incorrect.

Sorry, that's all I got. Toleda should be able to help you out.

Thanks ALMart. Really appreciated your instructions on this thread

Figured it all out and everything is running A+ so far.
Was an unrelated issue w/ my m.2 drive. solved that and the rest came through without problem

Did you do any kind of cloning to restore the install if things become unstable?

Did you do any kind of cloning to restore the install if things become unstable?
Yes! Absolutely. This was one of my major goals after getting the rig up and running, so I wouldn't fear jacking it up without recovery. Since this is my first Hackintosh, I had to deviate from my usual backup method since I now had to also backup the EFI partition.

I use SuperDuper but I might be switching to Clonezilla for it's ability to copy the EFI partition as well.

Update: I got iMessage working, but I had to install EmuVariableUefi driver by simply opening clover configurator then install drivers and finally clicking on EmuVariableUefi...sweet!

I can't seem to get the iMessage fix working. When I run the iMessageDebug I get failed for ROM an BoardSerialNumber. My searching is telling me I need to install using Clover installer and select EmuVariable...curious if you install also said failed for ROM and BoardSerialNumber...

Last edited:
Update: I got iMessage working, but I had to install EmuVariableUefi driver by simply opening clover configurator then install drivers and finally clicking on EmuVariableUefi...sweet!

I can't seem to get the iMessage fix working. When I run the iMessageDebug I get failed for ROM an BoardSerialNumber. My searching is telling me I need to install using Clover installer and select EmuVariable...curious if you install also said failed for ROM and BoardSerialNumber...
I followed the "Idiot's Guide..." verbatim and had no issues at all. Sorry, that's probably not what you wanted to hear. I guess I got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back