Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] macOS Mojave | Asus Sabertooth X99 | i7 5820k | 32 GB RAM | RX Vega 56

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey there, thanks so much for your help!

By swapping out the files, I have managed to get a little further now on the progress bar which is great, thanks to you.

Unfortunately... (yep, not quite there yet), I seem to still have issues getting into the installer. When I loaded the USB with the nv_disable=1 and -v parameters, I got this message, followed by a restart:

1.jpg

I thought to myself that it might have been a BIOS setting, so I jumped in to have a look, however HPET physically isn't an option in the BIOS.

I then added in a NullCPUPowerManagement.kext into the folder with the others, and tried rebooting. That time, I noticed that the Apple loading bar got to the end and just stayed there, so I rebooted in verbose. It appears to be hanging at "Using 16384 buffer headers and 10240 cluster IO buffer headers".

I have tried with various combinations of LAPIC patch, Haswell-E patch and USB Ownership, to no avail.

Still, looks like there is at least some progress :D

Thanks again for your help. If you have any ideas then that would be appreciated.

- Jack

I updated the new EFI folder with macOS High Sierra 10.3.3 comparability. I had to take a different approach so I can install macOS High Sierra 10.3.3 update. This requires flashing a modded BIOS to use the new method. The new method works a lot better and enables CPU Power Management. However, sleep still does not work on the Sabertooth X99 yet. See the first post for more details.

Update!
After many troubles with using nVidia Cards, I sold my EVGA Geforce GTX 1070 Hybrid in June when I bought a RX 580 8GB in April. However, the MSI Armor RX 580 causes issues with macOS since the Intel X99 does not have a Intel GPU. When you try to export anything with Final Cut Pro, it won't work or causes the operating system to lock up.

Kgp who maintains a guide for Intel X99 now uses a iMac Pro SMBios, which is recommended for X99 systems. However, it's highly recommended to use a RX Vega GPU since these are the same graphics used in actual iMac Pro. The main difference between the Vega 64 used in an actual iMac Pro and the Video Card version is with the VRAM. The Vega 64 on a iMac Pro have more VRAM (16 GB) compared to the graphics card version, which only have 8GB. The Vega 56 is the same. Due to the crypto mining craze since these cards are bought out to mine cryptocurrencies called Ethereum or Monero, these cards are very expensive compared to the nVidia counterparts, until now. I got mine for slightly under MSRP of a Vega 56 ($399) at $385, which is slightly used. A Vega 56 normally retails for $399, but currently at $500. Note that you need to install VegaGraphicsFixUp.kext to fix dual monitors and other minor issues.

Vega GPUs supply H264 encoding and decoding support for iMac Pro SMBIOS, meaning you can watch Amazon Prime Video or Netflix without Sliverlight in Safari. H264 encoding acceleration is supported under Final Cut Pro X, making the Vega GPUs ideal for Final Cut Pro X under Intel X99.

Here are the performance numbers:
2018-07-28_18-26-50_01.png
2018-07-28_23-14-28.png

Unigine Heaven:
FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

Settings
Render:
OpenGL
Mode:
1920x1080 fullscreen
Preset
Custom
Quality
High
Tessellation:
Moderate

Geekbench Open CL: https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/compute/2686680

Updated this guide for Mojave, and it's running smoothly under the basic setup. Note that the original guide thread by kgp for X99 systems have been locked recently. I can provide support, but I will not be adapting the USB and SSDT patches due to time constraints. If anyone has a Sabertooth X99 and is willing to adapt the USB and SSDT patches for this board and has done it, I will attach it to this guide and credit you.

Hello there, I did follow this guide as much as I could, but when I try to run the USB to install the OS, is hanging all the time at:

END RandomSeed
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I dunno what else to do, I put the Arg as in this posts, I tried nv_disable etc, but my system still hanging there :S

Asus Sabertooth x99
I7 6800K
GTX 1080
SSD (many type)
Pradtor RAM

any help ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back