Contribute
Register

[Success] MacOS Big Sur on Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, i7-4790, Radeon RX580, OpenCore 0.6.4

@jzrodriguez98, it does. The original WiFi card was Atheros based and I was using an older kext from Catalina (I think). Bluetooth was a USB plugin. Did you remove any kexts that were specific to your previous WiFi card? Can you describe what's going on during boot? Is it slow or something else. I did the 0.6.6 update and installed the card at the same time. I did notice that boot time was just a bit longer but not a big change. I recognized the difference in boot times because I have a dual monitor setup. In the first half of the boot, the progress bar is on one monitor. Halfway through it switches to the other monitor. Previously (OC 0.6.4 and the Atheros WiFI card) the progress bar on the second monitor did not stop. Now I notice it stops for about 3-5 seconds and then continues to a normal boot. Other than the processor, the only difference I see between our systems is that you dual book while I only boot MacOS.

Also after updating to OC 0.6.6, my desktop pictures setting seems to stick after a reboot.

Have you done the 11.2.1 update yet? Any side effects?
No side effects after updating to 11.2.1. And I deleted the specific kext associated to the former wifi card as I did not need it with the one. I also updated the airbrcmfixup kext.

Just checked my OpenCore EFI. I'm not using the airbrcmfixup kext and both bluetooth and WiFi are working fine. Because we have almost identical setups, here's the list of kexts I'm using:

1619626549215.png

Just noticed that IO80211High Sierra kext is still in there but it's not injected in the config. When I update OC, I'll do a little cleanup.

Hope this helps.

Followed the OpenCore directions exactly. (Actually one mistake because I didn't read the installation directions carefully enough. I corrected on my second try.) I am nowhere near as experienced as many who have done this. It took many hours of reading and research but was worth the effort. This is a clean install on a new SSD because the Catalina installation I had was a mess. (kexts in /library/extensions and in Clover) All kexts are now in my OpenCore efi.

SMBIOS 15,1.

View attachment 503731

Working:
Dual screens with internal graphics and Radeon RX580.
WiFi (have an Atheros AR93xx Wireless so had to search for a .kext)
Ethernet
Sound (onboard ALC887 Layout 1)
USB ports (USB System Information reports a USB 3.0 Bus although don't know for sure if USB 3 is up to speed because I have no USB 3 devices.)
Apple Wireless Keyboard 2003 (Purchased with a G5 PowerMac)
Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Not working:
Airdrop (System Information reports that the WiFi card supports Airdrop but I'm thinking my USB dongle might be the problem. System Information reports handoff not supported Broadcom Chipset 20702A3. Tried the Airdrop enabler with no success. )

Quirk:
Sometimes on restart, forgets Desktop and Screen Saver settings. Read something about this on one of the Apple Developer forums having something to do with the dual screen. Unplugging the second screen and then saving settings was reported to fix the problem. I'd be grateful for any help with this.

Installed 11.01 and upgraded to 11.1 using Software Update.

Attached is the working config.plist file minus my serial numbers. I constructed the EFI folder first then used ProperTree to construct the plist from the sample. Used the <CMD>-R function to have ProperTree do most of the heavy lift. ProperTree will populate much of the plist for you and put the kexts in the proper load order.

As I said earlier, I'm not that experienced but I would be happy to help if I can.

Can you share your actual complete EFI folder, not only the config.plist, please?

Thank you.

Unless your specs and OS are exactly like my build, my EFI folder won't do you a lot of good. I recently upgraded to OC 0.6.9 and MacOS 11.4. I've tried in the past to use other EFI Folders on my Z170M build and never had any success. When I followed Dortania's guide exactly, both systems booted correctly the first time. I'm not terribly experienced with a lot of what's in the guide, but working slowly and thoroughly will pay off.

Unless your specs and OS are exactly like my build, my EFI folder won't do you a lot of good. I recently upgraded to OC 0.6.9 and MacOS 11.4. I've tried in the past to use other EFI Folders on my Z170M build and never had any success. When I followed Dortania's guide exactly, both systems booted correctly the first time. I'm not terribly experienced with a lot of what's in the guide, but working slowly and thoroughly will pay off
Updated to Monte Rey with Audio and all working :clap:

Last edited:
@simonsaba i upgraded to Monterey. Changed the SMBIOS to iMac17,1 and upgraded OpenCore and Clover to the most recent builds (I managed to install both bootloaders in the same EFI plus refindplus which allows me to choose between Windows, OpenCore and Clover when turning on the system - I know that clover devs have created a tool for that too but I liked most refindplus - credits to MifJpnAlphaPlus)

Great to hear. I'm struggling with whether I should go to Monterey or not. Doing a lot of research and it doesn't seem that there are that many reasons to make the move. Are there Monterey features that you updated for? I figure Monterey will be the last Intel MacOS but Big Sur should be supported almost as long. I have a small SSD in the box so I just may play around with it.

Great to hear. I'm struggling with whether I should go to Monterey or not. Doing a lot of research and it doesn't seem that there are that many reasons to make the move. Are there Monterey features that you updated for? I figure Monterey will be the last Intel MacOS but Big Sur should be supported almost as long. I have a small SSD in the box so I just may play around with it.
@simonsaba I installed Ventura recently to see how it runs but I decided to upgrade my build to have a 10th gen CPU and a z590 mobo with a dgpu, rx 6600, to extend the macOS life a couple of more years, using a newer gpu without having to apply OpenCore legacy root patches to make my deprecated gpu’s work.

I recently upgraded to Monterey on the Z-97 and it went very smoothly. I tried it first on my test drive to see if it was stable. The only thing I had to redo was the USB port mapping kext. I was kind of surprised. Did you try Ventura on the Z-97 before you upgraded your hardware? How did it run? I'm pretty sure that the RX580 should be fine in Ventura.

Unless your specs and OS are exactly like my build, my EFI folder won't do you a lot of good. I recently upgraded to OC 0.6.9 and MacOS 11.4. I've tried in the past to use other EFI Folders on my Z170M build and never had any success. When I followed Dortania's guide exactly, both systems booted correctly the first time. I'm not terribly experienced with a lot of what's in the guide, but working slowly and thoroughly will pay off.
I have the same specs as your build. Would you be able to share it? It'd be really great. What OS you got now?

Back