Contribute
Register

[Success] MacOS Big Sur on Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3, i7-4790, Radeon RX580, OpenCore 0.6.4

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z97-HD3
CPU
i7-4790
Graphics
RX 580
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Followed the OpenCore directions exactly. (Actually one mistake because I didn't read the installation directions carefully enough. I corrected on my second try.) I am nowhere near as experienced as many who have done this. It took many hours of reading and research but was worth the effort. This is a clean install on a new SSD because the Catalina installation I had was a mess. (kexts in /library/extensions and in Clover) All kexts are now in my OpenCore efi.

SMBIOS 15,1.

Screen Shot 2021-01-03 at 3.50.21 PM.png

Working:
Dual screens with internal graphics and Radeon RX580.
WiFi (have an Atheros AR93xx Wireless so had to search for a .kext)
Ethernet
Sound (onboard ALC887 Layout 1)
USB ports (USB System Information reports a USB 3.0 Bus although don't know for sure if USB 3 is up to speed because I have no USB 3 devices.)
Apple Wireless Keyboard 2003 (Purchased with a G5 PowerMac)
Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Not working:
Airdrop (System Information reports that the WiFi card supports Airdrop but I'm thinking my USB dongle might be the problem. System Information reports handoff not supported Broadcom Chipset 20702A3. Tried the Airdrop enabler with no success. )

Quirk:
Sometimes on restart, forgets Desktop and Screen Saver settings. Read something about this on one of the Apple Developer forums having something to do with the dual screen. Unplugging the second screen and then saving settings was reported to fix the problem. I'd be grateful for any help with this.

Installed 11.01 and upgraded to 11.1 using Software Update.

Attached is the working config.plist file minus my serial numbers. I constructed the EFI folder first then used ProperTree to construct the plist from the sample. Used the <CMD>-R function to have ProperTree do most of the heavy lift. ProperTree will populate much of the plist for you and put the kexts in the proper load order.

As I said earlier, I'm not that experienced but I would be happy to help if I can.

Attachments

• Config (GA-Z97-HD3).plist
    27.7 KB · Views: 728
Last edited:
Followed the OpenCore directions exactly. (Actually one mistake because I didn't read the installation directions carefully enough. I corrected on my second try.) I am nowhere near as experienced as many who have done this. It took many hours of reading and research but was worth the effort. This is a clean install on a new SSD because the Catalina installation I had was a mess. (kexts in /library/extensions and in Clover) All kexts are now in my OpenCore efi.

SMBIOS 15,1.

View attachment 503731

Working:
Dual screens with internal graphics and Radeon RX580.
WiFi (have an Atheros AR93xx Wireless so had to search for a .kext)
Ethernet
Sound (onboard ALC887 Layout 1)
USB ports (USB System Information reports a USB 3.0 Bus although don't know for sure if USB 3 is up to speed because I have no USB 3 devices.)
Apple Wireless Keyboard 2003 (Purchased with a G5 PowerMac)
Apple Magic Trackpad 2

Not working:
Airdrop (System Information reports that the WiFi card supports Airdrop but I'm thinking my USB dongle might be the problem. System Information reports handoff not supported Broadcom Chipset 20702A3. Tried the Airdrop enabler with no success. )

Quirk:
Sometimes on restart, forgets Desktop and Screen Saver settings. Read something about this on one of the Apple Developer forums having something to do with the dual screen. Unplugging the second screen and then saving settings was reported to fix the problem. I'd be grateful for any help with this.

Installed 11.01 and upgraded to 11.1 using Software Update.

Attached is the working config.plist file minus my serial numbers. I constructed the EFI folder first then used ProperTree to construct the plist from the sample. Used the <CMD>-R function to have ProperTree do most of the heavy lift. ProperTree will populate much of the plist for you and put the kexts in the proper load order.

As I said earlier, I'm not that experienced but I would be happy to help if I can.
After playing around, I learned a some additional things. In my previous install, I had a smaller SSD that contained the OS. I kept data on another SSD and pointed the home folder to the data SSD. Mail and iCloud didn't play well with that setup. I don't know if it's my setup or something in Big Sur. I moved OS and Data to the same drive. iCloud and Mail are much happier. Reinstalling was a piece of cake. I just added my EFI folder to the larger drive and used the regular Big Sur installer.

I also found the ProperTree.command file will no longer work in Big Sur. I was able to compile it using one fo the scripts in the ProperTree scripts folder.

@simonsaba , I have the same mobo. I’ll compare what you have in the config plist with my OpenCore config file and provide feedback. I’m also capable of booting Big Sur using latest version of Clover.

@simonsaba , I have the same mobo. I’ll compare what you have in the config plist with my OpenCore config file and provide feedback. I’m also capable of booting Big Sur using latest version of Clover.
jzrodriguez98, what are you using for WiFi/Bluetooth?

jzrodriguez98, what are you using for WiFi/Bluetooth?
@simonsaba I’m using in OpenCore a airbrcmfixup kexts without plugins and device properties definition in config plist file to make my wifi+BT combo card (Broadcom 4331). In Clover I inject through the boot loader a codeless kext that inject device ID properties for my card that a colleague shared in a forum.

Added a Fenvi FV-T919 WiFi and Bluetooth adapter. As advertised, AirDrop and Handoff now work. Also the Apple Trackpad and Apple Wireless Keyboard (circa 2006) can be used during boot to access the BIOS and OpenCore. @jzrodriguez98, thanks for the tip. Also https://github.com/acidanthera/AirportBrcmFixup was helpful.

I also just updated from OC 0.6.4 to OC 0.6.6. The only quirk now is that I get a message immediately after startup:
OCS: No schema for BootProtect at 5 index, Context <Security>. In my config.plist BoorProtect is set to String with a value of None. It doesn't seem to affect anything so I"m inclined to leave it alone. Anyone have any insights?

Thanks.

They deleted the BootProtect key from the config.plist in OC 6.6,
as should you. The Bootstrap directory in EFI/OC was deleted also.
Did you run ocvalidate from the Utilities directory to check that
you had all the new keys for OC 6.6? The new default values in their
Docs/Sample.plist worked for me.

Of course in my haste I never ran Sanity Check. My bad. Would have saved me this question. Thanks.
@simonsaba , is your build booting well without any issues? I recently replaced my computer case and wifi card which is the same as the Fenvi you got, and refreshed the OpenCore settings. I even chainloaded refind with OpenCore and Clover to be able to have a boot screen with Windows 10 as an option which allow me to boot Windows without any ACPI side effects occurring when booting Windows from OpenCore.

@jzrodriguez98, it does. The original WiFi card was Atheros based and I was using an older kext from Catalina (I think). Bluetooth was a USB plugin. Did you remove any kexts that were specific to your previous WiFi card? Can you describe what's going on during boot? Is it slow or something else. I did the 0.6.6 update and installed the card at the same time. I did notice that boot time was just a bit longer but not a big change. I recognized the difference in boot times because I have a dual monitor setup. In the first half of the boot, the progress bar is on one monitor. Halfway through it switches to the other monitor. Previously (OC 0.6.4 and the Atheros WiFI card) the progress bar on the second monitor did not stop. Now I notice it stops for about 3-5 seconds and then continues to a normal boot. Other than the processor, the only difference I see between our systems is that you dual book while I only boot MacOS.

Also after updating to OC 0.6.6, my desktop pictures setting seems to stick after a reboot.

Have you done the 11.2.1 update yet? Any side effects?

Last edited:
Back