Contribute
Register

Success - macOS 10.14 on ThinkPad T480s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tanks for the advice. I have just completed the whole process again, while strictly following the advice. I get stuck after the reboot. Everything works (even things like the trackpad). I applied all BIOS settings. But when it says after a reboot "about 15 minutes left", the installer gets stuck and a minute later the pc crashes and reboots.

I tried this almost 10 times already. Does someone have an idea to solve that problem?

Thanks a lot in advance !

I've followed along and got everything working I care about except trackpad scrolling. I tried both the latest VoodooPS2controller and the closed source kext which shall not be named (lol), which I felt was very wonky but did have scrolling support. I'd like to get VoodooPS2controller.kext working with scrolling, I've attached PR files and my profile is filled out. Rehabman can you please advise? if voodoops2controller.kext doesn't work maybe vooodooi2c will (I believe this is an Elan1200 trackpad). thanks and happy new year :)

Attachments

• debug_6898.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 103
Last edited:
@disrupt Check out my T480s' guide. I patched out Elan (PS/2) touchpad kext for multi-touch support:
https://github.com/linusyang92/macOS-ThinkPad-T480s

You can grab the kext here:
https://github.com/linusyang92/macO...CLOVER/kexts/Other/ApplePS2SmartTouchPad.kext

I pre-configured (hardcoded) the gestures in Info.plist as follows:
Two fingers up/down: scroll
Three fingers left/right: navigation backward/forward
Four fingers left/right: desktop switches

Some (limited) configs can be done in Preferences, such as mouse speed, tap to click, scroll speed and drag (last two in Accessibility).
Hi, I am really surprised about your whole function working touchpad. recently, I am working on Hackintosh for ThinkPad P52. It has Elan touchpad based on PS/2 connection. Now, with VoodooPS2 Controller.kext, this touchpad can only work with one finger gesture, however, the touchpad hardware is not detected in preference setting panel. After that, I found your clover in your GitHub, while, the touchpad doesn't work, but can be detected in the preference setting panel (The track-point has been disabled in Bios). I wonder the procedure of patching binary. Can you describe it in details? I have been annoyed by one-finger gesture. I hope the Elan touchpad would work well. You can grab my clover in this following URL, https://github.com/liuyishengalan/ThinkPad-P52-Hackintosh-10.14.X-

Hi, thank you for this repository/thread ! Everything went fine so far.
However, I am still struggling with my TB3 devices (HP Omen Accelerator) - it starts spinning, but is not detected by macOS.

In System Information it says: "Thunderbolt: No drivers are loaded."

Tried with both settings: BIOS assist enabled/disabled

Do you have any idea, how to solve this :)?

UPDATE 1:

Uh, damn - just read, that Thunderbolt is still considered as a "weak" spot in hackintoshing. Thought, I found the perfect replacement for my MacBook (just feels fragile and I want to escape the service-dependency and potential high repair costs towards apple - but however already have this eGPU setup, so I needed a capable device with "working" TB3 :D). Seems, I need to find another solution to use my ThinkPad with monitors - at least it has all the ports and still I can use the GPU in Windows for now.

UPDATE 2:
Partly success: When booting up with TB3 device attached (HP Omen Accelerator), the following things are detected / working (hot-plug does not work - neither does GPU (RX580) spin-up and work) :

• Charging
  • USB - Ports (HP Omen)
  • Internal SSD (HP Omen)
  • Ethernet port (HP Omen)
Still, if you have any advice on where to start and whether it is worth to continue at all, let me know :) (Would have a look at: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/)

UPDATE 3:
Hotplug works now - thanks to the SSDT-TB3.aml from https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/ (except after sleep - after sleep, only PD keeps working)

However, the eGPU is visible in the IOreg explorer (see screenshot) and even the "eGPU" icon in the top bar shows up for a few seconds - but without detecting a GPU .

Anyone else in a similar situation with the T480s? Otherwise, I will continue delving deeper in the Dell G7 forum, where someone got his eGPU working.

UPDATE 4:
The eGPU (HP Omen Accelerator with RX580) is now working.

My observations until now are as follows:

• with SSDT-THBT.aml (included in this repo), USB-C is detected when plugged in before boot - hotplug not working
  • using SSDT-THBT.aml AND SSDT-TB-3.aml at the same time gets USB-C with hotplug working (not working after standby) however, the eGPU is not working - does not spin up.)
  • using SSDT-TB-3.aml (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/), the eGPU works out of the box, yet without hotplug working at all (USB-C/TB) - maybe hotplug would work if the laptop detected the TB3 device's removal, which doesn't happen in this state - instead it just freezes.
  • without any SSDT (THBT or TB-3),the eGPU works out of the box & macOS freezes, when unplugged
What would you suggest to do? Diff / Putting the "good stuff" from SSDT-TB-3.aml into SSDT-THBT.aml?

Have done some patching before but maybe there is a smarter / cleaner way to do it.

Best, Phil

Last edited:
UPDATE 4:
The eGPU (HP Omen Accelerator with RX580) is now working.

My observations until now are as follows:

• with SSDT-THBT.aml (included in this repo), USB-C is detected when plugged in before boot - hotplug not working
  • using SSDT-THBT.aml AND SSDT-TB-3.aml at the same time gets USB-C with hotplug working (not working after standby) however, the eGPU is not working - does not spin up.)
  • using SSDT-TB-3.aml (https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/in-progress-ssdt-for-thunderbolt-3-hotplug.248784/), the eGPU works out of the box, yet without hotplug working at all (USB-C/TB) - maybe hotplug would work if the laptop detected the TB3 device's removal, which doesn't happen in this state - instead it just freezes.
  • without any SSDT (THBT or TB-3),the eGPU works out of the box & macOS freezes, when it gets unplugged
What would you suggest to do? Diff / Putting the "good stuff" from SSDT-TB-3.aml into SSDT-THBT.aml?

Have done some patching before but maybe there is a smarter / cleaner way to do it.

Best, Phil

Hi folks,

just reverted to 10.14.2 as I read about 10.14.3 broke TB3-hotplug. However it ended up in the same situation. The GPU works like charm when plugged in during boot and the laptop crashes seconds after the TB3 cable was pulled. The only stable way right now is to use both the TB-3.aml and THBT.aml at the same time - as hotplug works in this combination (not only 2 times, as with THBT.aml). However, screens stay black here, eGPU icon appears & disappears again. As I was wondering, which part of the THBT.aml blocks the TB3 GPU from running, I tried to edit the THBT.aml - but no luck so far :(.
Could this be due to the fact, the GPU is listed as "internal - PCIe" instead of "gfx-external - Thunderbolt" - does this affect the cold unplug behaviour?

Thanks in advance, I'll keep you updated!

Phil

Hey,

currently thinking about getting a t480s as my desktop replacement for university. I normally run Ubuntu on my desktop but I miss some apps like OneNote etc. So I would put osx on it to get those apps. Did you guys noticed any difference in battery life or performance issues on osx ? Would be interested in an Cinebench benchmark, if somebody would be so kind to run one. I am also wondering about the fan noise situation since on Windows my E480 fan was really loud due to the ms background services utilizing 30% of the CPU. Some people say the t480s fan is loud although it has two heat pipes can somebody give his opinion on this ?

Regards Artur

I know that I am kind of off topic but since there are so many t480s users here I wanted to give it a try.

Hey,

currently thinking about getting a t480s as my desktop replacement for university. I normally run Ubuntu on my desktop but I miss some apps like OneNote etc. So I would put osx on it to get those apps. Did you guys noticed any difference in battery life or performance issues on osx ? Would be interested in an Cinebench benchmark, if somebody would be so kind to run one. I am also wondering about the fan noise situation since on Windows my E480 fan was really loud due to the ms background services utilizing 30% of the CPU. Some people say the t480s fan is loud although it has two heat pipes can somebody give his opinion on this ?

Regards Artur

I know that I am kind of off topic but since there are so many t480s users here I wanted to give it a try.

Coming from a MacBook, I perceived the fan noise under Windows as loud as well . However, with macOS the fan behaves more silent from what I perceive .

Please find the benchmarks in the attachments.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 14.26.34.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 14.26.34.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 249
  • Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 14.26.43.jpg
    Screenshot 2019-02-26 at 14.26.43.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 201
Hi folks,

just reverted to 10.14.2 as I read about 10.14.3 broke TB3-hotplug. However it ended up in the same situation. The GPU works like charm when plugged in during boot and the laptop crashes seconds after the TB3 cable was pulled. The only stable way right now is to use both the TB-3.aml and THBT.aml at the same time - as hotplug works in this combination (not only 2 times, as with THBT.aml). However, screens stay black here, eGPU icon appears & disappears again. As I was wondering, which part of the THBT.aml blocks the TB3 GPU from running, I tried to edit the THBT.aml - but no luck so far :(.
Could this be due to the fact, the GPU is listed as "internal - PCIe" instead of "gfx-external - Thunderbolt" - does this affect the cold unplug behaviour?

Thanks in advance, I'll keep you updated!

Phil

Update: I created a thread for that concern here, hoping we can find the weak spot together https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/lenovo-t480s-tb3-egpu-amd-rx580-detection.272391/

Coming from a MacBook, I perceived the fan noise under Windows as loud as well . However, with macOS the fan behaves more silent from what I perceive .

Please find the benchmarks in the attachments.
Thanks for the Score. Did you run this while plugged to Ac? My E480 with the same processor hits about 530~ on Windows.

Hi, I am really surprised about your whole function working touchpad. recently, I am working on Hackintosh for ThinkPad P52. It has Elan touchpad based on PS/2 connection. Now, with VoodooPS2 Controller.kext, this touchpad can only work with one finger gesture, however, the touchpad hardware is not detected in preference setting panel. After that, I found your clover in your GitHub, while, the touchpad doesn't work, but can be detected in the preference setting panel (The track-point has been disabled in Bios). I wonder the procedure of patching binary. Can you describe it in details? I have been annoyed by one-finger gesture. I hope the Elan touchpad would work well. You can grab my clover in this following URL, https://github.com/liuyishengalan/ThinkPad-P52-Hackintosh-10.14.X-
Are you using the patched driver from my repo? If you find it not working, then it does not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back