Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] macOS 10.12.2 | GA-X99P-SLI | Intel 6950X | GTX 980ti | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly followed nmano's guide here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...oadwell-e-family-and-haswell-e-family.197513/

Hardware
Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO, HTPC Computer Case
Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 16GB)
Intel Core i7-6950X Processor
MasterAir Pro 3 CPU Air Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti
BCM94360CD Wireless and Bluetooth Card
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD

Install Method
Install macOS using a real Mac to an external drive. Set up the ESP/EFI on the real Mac as well. Boot straight into it on the hackintosh using the linked EFI (create a USB stick or set up your ESP). Then install Nvidia Web Drivers and reboot. Everything works. There are no modified S/L/E or kernel. Pure macOS install.

My EFI files are here:
https://github.com/koush/EFI-X99

All my files and file history are on Github. I've been maintaining my various hackintosh EFI partitions this way, as revision control is an excellent way to track changes that fix/break things.

If you ever want the "latest" version of my EFI/DDST/SSDT, it will be there. No need to hunt through forum post responses. This is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of getting a hackintosh up and running. Even with a working guide, I often found that necessary files and changes were 10 pages deep into a post.

Quirks
The USB 2.0 ports seem extra slow. I don't know why. I just use the USB 3.0 ports instead.

The Github idea is just brilliant. Thank you. My computer works like a charm.

(As a preface, I've built one Hackintosh 4 years ago, but I'm not super knowledgable about the technical aspects. So if this is an ignorant question, I pre-apologize.)
Does anyone have any info on whether or not this exact same build would work with a 1080 ti instead of 980 ti? I know the 1080 ti cards are now fully supported as potential graphics cards, but is there something specific about this Motherboard/CPU that may not work with it? Has anyone had any success with a 1080 ti?

(As a preface, I've built one Hackintosh 4 years ago, but I'm not super knowledgable about the technical aspects. So if this is an ignorant question, I pre-apologize.)
Does anyone have any info on whether or not this exact same build would work with a 1080 ti instead of 980 ti? I know the 1080 ti cards are now fully supported as potential graphics cards, but is there something specific about this Motherboard/CPU that may not work with it? Has anyone had any success with a 1080 ti?
Yup.

Just finished my build last night. Installed Sierra 10.12.4 and a Windows 10 on a Samsung M.2 Evo 960 internal.

X99-SLI
GTX1080Ti
i7 6950X

Used Koush's guide to install Sierra to a separate SSD, booted up and was able to then install a second time directly to the M.2 drive. The new Clover seems to include the M.2 patch natively so you don't need the patch process from what I can tell.

Thank you so much for your work and the Github EFI. I'm an hackintosh newbie, and my installation works extremely well. The whole process was really smooth. Thank you!

That's my config:
GA X99p-SLI
i7-6800k
Corsair Vengeance LPX DIMM Kit 16GB
Samsung M.2 EVO 960 500GB
Palit GTX 1050 TI

The only small issue I have is a little sluggish GUI on Ableton when I'm working on larger projects. I'm not sure if this is Ableton or Hackintosh related. I'm working on a 4k display. Maybe that's causing the issue.

What I'm wondering about: Should I change anything XCPM related when I have a different CPU?

I'm using a 6800k (and it works fine), but the installation is based on a 6960X.

Yup.

Just finished my build last night. Installed Sierra 10.12.4 and a Windows 10 on a Samsung M.2 Evo 960 internal.

X99-SLI
GTX1080Ti
i7 6950X

Used Koush's guide to install Sierra to a separate SSD, booted up and was able to then install a second time directly to the M.2 drive. The new Clover seems to include the M.2 patch natively so you don't need the patch process from what I can tell.

My EFI partition has the patches for M.2, so if you were using that partition, it should Just Work. I don't think Clover has any M.2 patches, but I'll double check.

Hi,
first thanks @koush for this amazing guide and @nmano for his.
I was following another guide trying to install sierra with no success until I found yours. Everything was working perfect using 10.11 but I needed to upgrade for the new DaVinci 14 requirements, then I screw up trying to upgrade.
Actually on a last desperate try I just copied your entire EFI and everything just started working fine. So we can say you save my life.
I just changed the number of cores and apply the AGDPfix because of the black screen. Then BOOM! fully working 10.13.6.

my setup:
X99p-SLI
i7-5820k
Gigabyte Titan X 12GB
Samsung EVO 256GB
Crucial Ballistix Sport 64GB

26003 geekbench score OC to 4,3 GHz and Profile 1

one question, is TB3 is working?

thanks for your amazing help

Have you not had any issues with slow speeds from the 980ti? My current build is so laggy with it it's almost unusable. I've tried rolling back the drivers and even booted up and old 10.11 backup but nothing helps.

I've even considered getting an older video card since the 10XXs are so expensive now, just so I can have something that works.

I confirm that Thunderbolt 2 HDDs work using the Apple USB-c to Thunderbolt 2 adapter. Other devices may work as well.
The drivers need to be installed over Windows.
Cannot be hot swapped, need to be plugged before switching the computer on.

I used these steps to make it work:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/making-tb3-and-usb-c-work-properly.235263/#post-1614541

EDIT: I tested an OWC thunderbolt 2 dock and seems to work as long as the devices are connected before switching the computer on. I tried Ethernet, USB 3.0 and Thunderbolt.
https://www.owcdigital.com/products/thunderbolt-2-dock

Last edited:
Thank you for this koush. My computer has been pretty stable so far.

I have a few questions:
I am running it with a 5820k, should I modify anything?
Also, anybody has trouble with thunderbolt disconnecting after the computer sleeps?

Does anybody have problems with iTunes using this build? I posted this but noone is coming to the rescue.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/itunes-root-permission-problems.260639/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back