Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] macOS 10.12.2 | GA-X99P-SLI | Intel 6950X | GTX 980ti | Samsung 960 EVO NVMe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-X99P-SLI
CPU
6950X
Graphics
GA 980ti
Guide
https://github.com/koush/EFI-X99

Hardware
Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO, HTPC Computer Case
Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 16GB)
Intel Core i7-6950X Processor
MasterAir Pro 3 CPU Air Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti
BCM94360CD Wireless and Bluetooth Card
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB NVMe SSD

Install Method
Install macOS using a real Mac to an external drive. Set up the ESP/EFI on the real Mac as well. Boot straight into it on the hackintosh using the linked EFI (create a USB stick or set up your ESP). Then install Nvidia Web Drivers and reboot. Everything works. There are no modified S/L/E or kernel. Pure macOS install.

My EFI files are here:

All my files and file history are on Github. I've been maintaining my various hackintosh EFI partitions this way, as revision control is an excellent way to track changes that fix/break things.

If you ever want the "latest" version of my EFI/DDST/SSDT, it will be there. No need to hunt through forum post responses. This is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of getting a hackintosh up and running. Even with a working guide, I often found that necessary files and changes were 10 pages deep into a post.

Quirks
The USB 2.0 ports seem extra slow. I don't know why. I just use the USB 3.0 ports instead.

Credits
I mostly followed nmano's guide to get up and running:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...oadwell-e-family-and-haswell-e-family.197513/

Last edited:
I mostly followed nmano's guide here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...oadwell-e-family-and-haswell-e-family.197513/

Hardware
Cooler Master HAF XB II EVO, HTPC Computer Case
Corsair RMx Series, RM750x, 750W, Fully Modular Power Supply
Gigabyte X99P-SLI Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB DDR4 3200 (4 x 16GB)
Intel Core i7-6950X Processor
MasterAir Pro 3 CPU Air Cooler
Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980Ti
BCM94360CD Wireless and Bluetooth Card
Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD

Install Method
Install macOS using a real Mac to an external drive. Set up the ESP/EFI on the real Mac as well. Boot straight into it on the hackintosh using the linked EFI (create a USB stick or set up your ESP). Then install Nvidia Web Drivers and reboot. Everything works. There are no modified S/L/E or kernel. Pure macOS install.

My EFI files are here:

All my files and file history are on Github. I've been maintaining my various hackintosh EFI partitions this way, as revision control is an excellent way to track changes that fix/break things.

If you ever want the "latest" version of my EFI/DDST/SSDT, it will be there. No need to hunt through forum post responses. This is honestly one of the most frustrating parts of getting a hackintosh up and running. Even with a working guide, I often found that necessary files and changes were 10 pages deep into a post.

Quirks
The USB 2.0 ports seem extra slow. I don't know why. I just use the USB 3.0 ports instead.
The USB-C port works, but seems to hang after a few minutes.

Thank you Koush for the most success I have had yet with my build.

My hardware is similar to yours, except I have the X99 Designare EX mobo with the Intel 6950x processor and a EVGA GTX 960 FTW graphics card. MOBO is updated to the latest firmware.

Everything is going great, and it boots into Sierra, except it cannot find a keyboard or mouse, no matter which port I plug into it. The keyboard and mouse work just fine in the BIOS. Do you have any idea which kext file I should look to drop into the EFI? Verbose mode seems to show an issue or two with AppleUSBXHCI.

And I also see that it says "this is an unknown CPU model". Do you have any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_9987.JPG
    IMG_9987.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 513
Thank you Koush for the most success I have had yet with my build.

My hardware is similar to yours, except I have the X99 Designare EX mobo with the Intel 6950x processor and a EVGA GTX 960 FTW graphics card. MOBO is updated to the latest firmware.

Everything is going great, and it boots into Sierra, except it cannot find a keyboard or mouse, no matter which port I plug into it. The keyboard and mouse work just fine in the BIOS. Do you have any idea which kext file I should look to drop into the EFI? Verbose mode seems to show an issue or two with AppleUSBXHCI.

And I also see that it says "this is an unknown CPU model". Do you have any thoughts?

Try my EFI out. You should be able to use my exact EFI for that board and CPU. As far as I know, the only thing Designare EX has is the optional wifi card thing.

Also, reset your BIOS and load optimized defaults. If I recall, there are some settings in the BIOS that change how USB is handled by the OS.

Try my EFI out. You should be able to use my exact EFI for that board and CPU. As far as I know, the only thing Designare EX has is the optional wifi card thing.

Also, reset your BIOS and load optimized defaults. If I recall, there are some settings in the BIOS that change how USB is handled by the OS.

Also, try plugging directly into the motherboard, and not through a hub. I was having issues with devices disappearing after some time, and it stopped after I removed the USB 3.0 hub from the equation.

Thanks Koush. I ended up using a slightly different method, and modifying the config.plist a bit more, but your EFI got me on the right track. My Geekbench score went from a 10,562 with my iMac 2011 and is now above 30,000 on my Hackintosh. I am ecstatic.

I can confirm the Gigabyte Designare-EX with a 6950x and replacing the m.2 wi-fi card with a Broadcom, is stable and solid on 10.12.1

The only thing that probably isn't working is Thunderbolt 3. I don't have anything to test it with.

Thanks Koush. I ended up using a slightly different method, and modifying the config.plist a bit more, but your EFI got me on the right track. My Geekbench score went from a 10,562 with my iMac 2011 and is now above 30,000 on my Hackintosh. I am ecstatic.

I can confirm the Gigabyte Designare-EX with a 6950x and replacing the m.2 wi-fi card with a Broadcom, is stable and solid on 10.12.1

The only thing that probably isn't working is Thunderbolt 3. I don't have anything to test it with.

If you don't mind, can you share your config.plist? I'd like to see the changes and maybe incorporate any improvements into my Github repository.

Guide and EFI has been updated with NVMe support.

What would you rate the difficulty for getting all of this set up?

I am both a first time builder and Hackintosher, I don't doubt my ability but I'm curious.

Hi koush,

I was trying for ages to get Sierra on my x99 running. (Only got Yosemite booting which served me well for the last six months)
Thanks to your and others work, I could boot and install Sierra on my system right away. Is there a way to support your labor? Please let me know.

My system:

Gigabyte ga-x99p-sli
Xeon 12Core E5-2670v3
Samsung SM951 NVMe 512GB M.2
Titan X (Maxwell)
HyperX Fury Black 8x8GB 2666MHz

I only had to change the core count and installed AGDPfix because of the black screen.
The Ram was detected properly, USB2.0 and 3.0 work all full speed. Two random USB2.0 ports don't work though. (one on the front, one on the back) Sleep works, but when I wake up the system, all of the USB Peripherals are disconnected. (Those things have no priority for me anyway.)

Geekbench 3 blow me away. On Yosemite I got around 25000, on Windows 10 I get around 28000 and now on Sierra I get 30000. I also tested Geekbench 4 and got still higher cpu and Cuda scores than in Windows 10. Go figure...

I haven't tested onboard audio since I'm using a Blackmagic breakoutbox anyway.

I have a Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter from StarTech. It works in Windows when I connect a Thunderbolt2 drive. It doesn't get recognized in Sierra however. I'm not sure if that's because I'd need an adapter from Apple or something else. Is there an approach to get Thunderbolt3 to work or is it more like hit or miss?

Thank you and everyone else who worked on all those tweaks. I almost lost hope since the x99 platform is a tricky one. :)

Greetings
Marco

Hi koush,

I was trying for ages to get Sierra on my x99 running. (Only got Yosemite booting which served me well for the last six months)
Thanks to your and others work, I could boot and install Sierra on my system right away. Is there a way to support your labor? Please let me know.

My system:

Gigabyte ga-x99p-sli
Xeon 12Core E5-2670v3
Samsung SM951 NVMe 512GB M.2
Titan X (Maxwell)
HyperX Fury Black 8x8GB 2666MHz

I only had to change the core count and installed AGDPfix because of the black screen.
The Ram was detected properly, USB2.0 and 3.0 work all full speed. Two random USB2.0 ports don't work though. (one on the front, one on the back) Sleep works, but when I wake up the system, all of the USB Peripherals are disconnected. (Those things have no priority for me anyway.)

Geekbench 3 blow me away. On Yosemite I got around 25000, on Windows 10 I get around 28000 and now on Sierra I get 30000. I also tested Geekbench 4 and got still higher cpu and Cuda scores than in Windows 10. Go figure...

I haven't tested onboard audio since I'm using a Blackmagic breakoutbox anyway.

I have a Thunderbolt3 to Thunderbolt2 adapter from StarTech. It works in Windows when I connect a Thunderbolt2 drive. It doesn't get recognized in Sierra however. I'm not sure if that's because I'd need an adapter from Apple or something else. Is there an approach to get Thunderbolt3 to work or is it more like hit or miss?

Thank you and everyone else who worked on all those tweaks. I almost lost hope since the x99 platform is a tricky one. :)

Greetings
Marco

Make sure you are connected to the USB_1 header on your motherboard. Had a report that connecting to USB_2 and leaving USB_1 empty caused issues.

I don't have a way to test Thunderbolt. My USB-C port works on the back though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back