Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Macboy123s Coffee Lake i7 8700K, Gigabyte Z370 Aorus UG, 16GB RAM, 2x SSD, Zotac GTX 1080

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you have to do anything special to the installer USB?

I have a similar setup, except a Gaming 7 variant of the MB, NVMe SSDs, 1080ti. It hangs during installer startup using both Sierra (with NVMe patches in config.list) and High Sierra (stock unibeast). Strangely looking at verbose output it looks like a successful boot but it abruptly stops at some point, and a slightly different point on different attempts.
I have the same setup. In my setup, I had to set the
- usb ownership
- usb injection
Options, and then booting continued.

I have the same setup. In my setup, I had to set the
- usb ownership
- usb injection
Options, and then booting continued.

I assume this worked with the USB 3 ports on the board?

I tracked the problem down to a USB 3 issue, and tried a few things before just ordering one of these so I could use the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IV6S9S/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 Completely slipped my mind that neither this board, nor my case has USB 2 ports on it. Install went fine with UniBeast built 10.13.1 installer.

I didn't bother setting up the internal audio since I don't use it but everything else seems to be working perfectly using a 7700K CPUID and a similar setup to OP.

I assume this worked with the USB 3 ports on the board?

I tracked the problem down to a USB 3 issue, and tried a few things before just ordering one of these so I could use the USB 2.0 headers on the motherboard: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000IV6S9S/?tag=tonymacx86com-20 Completely slipped my mind that neither this board, nor my case has USB 2 ports on it. Install went fine with UniBeast built 10.13.1 installer.

I didn't bother setting up the internal audio since I don't use it but everything else seems to be working perfectly using a 7700K CPUID and a similar setup to OP.

ALC1220 audio support is just as easy as running CloverALC script with mounted EFI partition and SIP disabled: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC
I did it for Audio and Mic ports on front cause i have no usb headset.

I'll look at adding audio support at some point, just for the sake of completion.

One issue I have run into is getting itunes video content to play. I didn't see mention of Shiki in your post, were you able to get this working?

I'll look at adding audio support at some point, just for the sake of completion.

One issue I have run into is getting itunes video content to play. I didn't see mention of Shiki in your post, were you able to get this working?

I don't use DRM or iTunes content expect for my Music Library , but as i know this Shiki should solve rendering DRM black screen issues for video or tv series.
But hadn't tried it myself so far. Just loaded an old BluRay coupon to try, got no playback although i authorized the Mac. Black Screen.
I think with Shiki, Lilu and a connectorless igpu ig-platform id (0x59120003) it should work. NVIDIA can be forced to render, and shikigva param in boot args to set to a correct value.

Last edited:
Hi, Thank you! for the guide and valuable sharing.

I got ordered the CPU as like your and MB. Hopefully working well with UHD 630.

Just curious about VT-D enable. That is not right? It should be disabled in Bios?

Or now it is changed?

Hi, Thank you! for the guide and valuable sharing.

I got ordered the CPU as like your and MB. Hopefully working well with UHD 630.

Just curious about VT-D enable. That is not right? It should be disabled in Bios?

Or now it is changed?

For iGPU I had to set the CPU FakeID, IntelGFX Fake ID and ig-platform id as mentioned like for a 7700K.

CPU 0x000906E9
ig-platform-id 0x59120000 (if dGPU then you can use 0x59120003 connectorless)
IntelGFX 0x59128086

Then it is fully accelerated and says Metal Support yes.
VT-D is only useful if you work with VMs like Parallels or VMWare.
Then, you have to use dart=0 boot arg. Otherwise you can leave it disabled.

To those that have asked about overclocking, I don't have an 8700K/Z370 setup but my 7700K/Z270 setup runs @ 5.2ghz, 32GB of 3000mhz corsair ram running at 3600mhz

Kraken X62 CPU cooler, RAM is Corsair Vengeance with no extra cooling; but they get hotter with the overclock, so I want to maybe get some sort additional cooling there.

Running Windows and Sierra beautifully :)

I only mention all this because there's no reason at all why you shouldn't be able to get these settings on a 8700K setup. Even if you're not interested in overclocking your RAM, use 5.0ghz as a starting point for your CPU... it's really not worth getting an i7 K CPU from the current/last gen without at least a modest 5ghz overclock. :thumbup:

To those that have asked about overclocking, I don't have an 8700K/Z370 setup but my 7700K/Z270 setup runs @ 5.2ghz, 32GB of 3000mhz corsair ram running at 3600mhz

Did you generate a custom SSDT for macOS power management of your overclock?

No. To get the RAM to show up as its actual frequency in macOS, you just need to enable XMP in clover

I've constantly been using Intel Power Gadget over the last 6 months since I built this rig, particularly during CPU intensive tasks, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

That said, the Kraken is a beast of a cooler so I'm not surprised in the least... but I get the same sort of temps in Windows doing similar tasks. In fact, in Windows, i get higher temps most of the time because I only use it for games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back