Contribute
Register

[Success] lostczech's Kaby Lake ATX: GA-Z170XP-SLI - i7-7700K - GTX 970 - Sierra - 4K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings!

Would you mind stipulating "what works" and "what doesn't work?" Also, mind sharing your cost-to-build? I realize there will be differences, but am curious where this sits cost-wise.

This seems a build that is what I'm aiming for - though I'm planning on using a 270 series motherboard...

Thanks!!!

What works and what doesn't? I'll do "what doesn't" as it's a very short list :cool:
I intentionally did not buy a webcam/microphone, so my Facetime and Siri don't work (but I'm sure it would work if I bought one of tonymac's suggested webcams).

Otherwise, EVERYTHING works. Sleep, Retina on my 4K monitor, audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, handoff, continuity, etc etc..

Not counting the 4K Dell monitor (which was $450 when I bought it), the rest of the build cost me just under $800. The thing is, I already had a computer case, power supply, and a number of drives (3x SSD, 1x 3TB HDD). I also got very lucky and found the GTX 970 "open box, refurbished" on Newegg for $168

I shied away from Z270 as it was brand new at the time of my build and didn't want to worry about incompatibilities. If I could go back and change something, I would have went straight for water cooling. Overclocking at 5Ghz AND doing long-term work (like Handbrake) is a no go on air cooling...

Best of luck!

Thanks - very useful! :)

I'm still grokking which way to go with this. I don't have a prior processor to use for a BIOS update for a 170 series board to i7 7700, so I may stick with a 6700 - unless the 270 series motherboards are actually workable...

I was inspired by lostczech, I use i7 7700 in z170. I need to purchase an Intel G4400 pentium CPU to update the bios, it is $60, as suggested by lostczech, you can sell it back on eBay when done. I think it is worth the trouble to get the 7700 CPU. Since I have an ITX board, I use BCM94352Z in the M.2 slot. I only got WIFI working, no blue tooth, no enternet yet.

What works and what doesn't? I'll do "what doesn't" as it's a very short list :cool:
I intentionally did not buy a webcam/microphone, so my Facetime and Siri don't work (but I'm sure it would work if I bought one of tonymac's suggested webcams).

Otherwise, EVERYTHING works. Sleep, Retina on my 4K monitor, audio, ethernet, wifi, bluetooth, handoff, continuity, etc etc..

Not counting the 4K Dell monitor (which was $450 when I bought it), the rest of the build cost me just under $800. The thing is, I already had a computer case, power supply, and a number of drives (3x SSD, 1x 3TB HDD). I also got very lucky and found the GTX 970 "open box, refurbished" on Newegg for $168

I shied away from Z270 as it was brand new at the time of my build and didn't want to worry about incompatibilities. If I could go back and change something, I would have went straight for water cooling. Overclocking at 5Ghz AND doing long-term work (like Handbrake) is a no go on air cooling...

Best of luck!

For the Web cam, I bought a Logitech C310 a while back for use in my Mac Mini for Face time and phone call. It works and only cost $33 in Amazon.

Choices choices... :D Thanks for that @jackie1628 ! :)

Still researching... I see there is a succesful z270 STRIX build, and another recommendation for a z270-series board, so I'm leaning back that way now as it looks like that is quiet workable.

lostczech, here is my config.plist, I am on 10.12.3. Do you mind checking to see why my bluetooth and eternet won't work. Should I upgrade to 10.12.4?

Attachments

• config.plist
    6.1 KB · Views: 202
lostczech, here is my config.plist, I am on 10.12.3. Do you mind checking to see why my bluetooth and eternet won't work. Should I upgrade to 10.12.4?

I believe this may correct the Nvidia issue.. Under the Graphics section, you have:

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>

<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Mine is:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

I don't know if this will work, but my gut is telling me the "key" intel being set to true in your config might be why it's overriding NvidiaWeb later

Ethernet not working.. Maybe try reintalling the intelmausi driver (whatever is latest in multibeast). Then another guess.. you don't have this in your config, but I do in mine. Not 100% sure it's related, but worth a shot..

My RtVariables section:
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string>
<key>ROM</key>
<string>UseMacAddr0</string>

</dict>

Bluetooth.. Are you using the same dongle as me? For me I literally did nothing, it was plug and play. However, on my old iMac, I had to use Continuity Activation Tool to get the bluetooth to stick. It can't hurt, plus has some good diagnostics to see what the issue might be:

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool

EDIT: I just read your other reply above about having the BCM94352Z card for wifi and bluetooth. Sorry, I didn't even know that card existed until now! I would search for "BCM94352Z" on tonymac's forums and see if anyone else has troubleshooted issues with that.

Last edited:
jackie1628 One other thing I noticed... You are using GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 board? That has a Killer NIC (Ethernet), that could explain why it doesn't work for you. I'm not aware of any Mac drivers for that type of ethernet chipset. For ethernet you may need to buy a PCI/PCI-E network card (Intel or Realtek) or choose a different motherboard. My advice above probably won't help with your ethernet issue

I believe this may correct the Nvidia issue.. Under the Graphics section, you have:

<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<dict>
<key>ATI</key>
<false/>
<key>Intel</key>
<true/>

<key>NVidia</key>
<false/>
</dict>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

Mine is:
<key>Graphics</key>
<dict>
<key>Inject</key>
<false/>
<key>NvidiaSingle</key>
<false/>
</dict>

I don't know if this will work, but my gut is telling me the "key" intel being set to true in your config might be why it's overriding NvidiaWeb later

Ethernet not working.. Maybe try reintalling the intelmausi driver (whatever is latest in multibeast). Then another guess.. you don't have this in your config, but I do in mine. Not 100% sure it's related, but worth a shot..

My RtVariables section:
<key>RtVariables</key>
<dict>
<key>BooterConfig</key>
<string>0x28</string>
<key>CsrActiveConfig</key>
<string>0x67</string>
<key>ROM</key>
<string>UseMacAddr0</string>

</dict>

Bluetooth.. Are you using the same dongle as me? For me I literally did nothing, it was plug and play. However, on my old iMac, I had to use Continuity Activation Tool to get the bluetooth to stick. It can't hurt, plus has some good diagnostics to see what the issue might be:

https://github.com/dokterdok/Continuity-Activation-Tool

EDIT: I just read your other reply above about having the BCM94352Z card for wifi and bluetooth. Sorry, I didn't even know that card existed until now! I would search for "BCM94352Z" on tonymac's forums and see if anyone else has troubleshooted issues with that.

I deleted the text and make it look like your in my config file and reboot, but I got a "do not enter" sign. how do I go back in and change the config file

I deleted the text and make it look like your in my config file and reboot, but I got a "do not enter" sign. how do I go back in and change the config file

hmmm, great question. I say follow this thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/screwed-up-my-clover-configure-plist.156770/

Easiest option is to replace the entire config.plist file with a backup (The one you posted here earlier?)
Sounds like when you hand edited the file, you may have corrupted the XML (ie. simple typo)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back