Contribute
Register

[Success] Lenovo Z500 Touch - dual boot (Win10)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z490i-Auros
CPU
i5-10400
Graphics
WX4100
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Air
  3. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
After much searching, I didn't find an easy walkthrough in the same way you find with desktop Hacks, so I did what I know I should do anyway - search, research, read, learn.

I'm no stranger to building hacks; I've done them from the mid-2000s and seen the rise of Chameleon, Clover, and now Opencore so this should be dead easy - right? Well, after a couple of false starts, I have a reasonably sorted build. Here's where I have gotten to:

SSDT: not done as yet (18th Jan 21)
DSDT: not done as yet (18th Jan 21)
Graphics: Intel HD4000 using RehabMans config_HD4000_1366x768.plist
Ethernet: RealtekRTL8100 using RT8100 v2 kext from 2018, although it is working intermittently
Wi-Fi: Atheros 9485 working using the AR9004WB installer
Keyboard & Touchpad: Works using VoodooPS2Controller.kext
Bright & Contrast: Not quite working - I know I need to revisit it
Sound: Not working yet (haven't tried - not that important just now)
Battery status: Working using the ACPI Battery manager
USB 2.0 & 3.0: Working using USB InjectAll kext from 2018

I'll update the elements with the relevant links later and edit accordingly

NB: For anyone reading this wanting a simple walkthrough - you're not gonna get a click, next, next...... here I'm afraid. Like me, you need to read and understand the guides posted by RehabMan. DO NOT try to lazily use Unibeast & Multibeast - they won't work.

Read posts 1 & 2 here:

Assuming you've (thoroughly) read the link above, here's what I did:

1) Researched the hardware specs of the Lenovo, so that I got the correct Mobo type (i.e H77 - IvyBridge for me), CPU (i5 3230), GPU (HD4000), NIC (Realtek 8168), Wifi (AR9485WB-EG), etc. I decided that a MacBook Pro 10,2 would be closest to the spec so noted that ready for taking in clover configurator later
2) Followed the "Installing Clover to USB" section of RehabMan's first post - using Method 1 (i.e. 2 partitions)
3) Used the suggested version of Clover and also the suggested Kexts - albeit specific to my laptop (so added FakeSMC, VoodooPS2Controller, Lilu, WhateverGreen, Realtek8100)
4) Grabbed the closest config.plit - in my case choosing the HD4000 1366x768 one
5) Built the installer
6) Last double check of BIOS and off we go!
7) Installed OK, followed the usual post-install process (I.e. clover into the HD)
8) Downloaded Clover configurator and went to the SMBIOS section to set my machine type (i.e. MacBook Pro 10,2) and generate serials
9) Once the hardware & serial info were set (i.e. SMBIOS), save config.plist, rebooted, and then signed into iCloud to double check and all good
10) Partitioned the HD so I could install Win10 (GPT+J, left it untitled as suggested)
11) Installed W10 to the partition I'd set up, using the stored digital activation key for Laptop
12) Restarted, all good, just needed to rename the EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi to bootmgfw-orig.efi as per RehabMan's second post (Windows dual-boot section)

And voila, repurposed an old Lenovo to dual boot both MacOs and Windows 10. I'll use the next post to outline the tweaks I've had to make for backlight, sound, nailing the inconsistent Ethernet performance, etc.

Last edited:
Atheros wifi
Post install I discovered that the Atheros 9485 wifi can be a bit flaky. Luckily, I came across a package (attached) that fixed it. That said, I had to reinstall after running some security updates. So far its all working

Realtek NIC
As wifi is working well, I'll leave this til last. Probably the least important thing for me

Bluetooth
Currently investigating the following post (and others) to try and sort Bluetooth

Sound
Not even looked at this yet - will update when I start to experiment

DSDT & SSDT
This is an area that I've always been a bit lazy - having relied on folks who've built them already to make my previous Hacks trouble-free. I intend to revisit creating them (and the attendant files needed) when I find more time to research

19/01/2021
First edit of 2nd post. I'll add any files/kexts along the way with further updates

Attachments

• AR9004WB-1NG-10.13.0-v1.00.pkg.zip
    2.5 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back