Contribute
Register

[Success] Lenovo M93p, M73p "Tiny" mini PC i5 4570t, i7 4765t Yosemite-Catalina

So I'm half way through the installation so far by having both monitors connected. The displayport refuses to show the initial lenovo logo or any of the bios related screens e.g. bios / boot selector and clover bootloader. Once I get to a certain point in the boot, the monitors swap and then the displayport monitor continues the process.
Maybe try enabling CSM (legacy booting) in your BIOS and see what happens.

So it turns out that hackintosh installs do not like VGA

Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).

Apple have not used VGA in their products for more than ten years so unsurprisingly they do not include support for it in their operating system(s).
OK although I have a VGA adapter for my MacBook Pro 2015 for presenting where the projector does not have HDMI so it never occurred to me that it wouldn't work / have had support dropped.

Gigamaxx did you (or anyone else for that matter) manage to get fan speed / control working? My Hackintosh is not too stable and often reboots and I think this could be due to the CPU overheating It idles at 65 degrees centigrade and I think Chrome is tipping it over the edge and forcing a reboot. When it gets into the 70's temperature wise the fans still aren't on (they come on fine in Windows and when it reboots for around 20 seconds). I'm attaching my HWMonitor showing the blank area where the fan speed and control should be.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 21.14.27.png
    Screenshot 2020-11-12 at 21.14.27.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 95
OK another update and one which is rather important as I may have been ignorant but I don't think I've seen in a while a statement which says "please make sure your system is without a shadow of a doubt working as it should"

The reason I say this is because most of my issues and especially all of the most recent ones have been caused by faulty RAM. I ordered 2x4GB from Mr Memory as 4GB is simply not enough especially if you're sing on board graphics which uses at least 1.5GB of the available ram as VRAM. One of the chips was faulty and that's why it was crashing all the time, not anything to do with OSX or Clover etc... Credit where credit is due though Mr Memory are sending a replacement 4GB stick in the post and I'll be tip top by then but please be sure your machine is good before troubleshooting Hackintosh related issues.

How I found this out was that I tried installing Ubuntu which failed with an error pointing to a "bad CD" which I knew was not right as I was using a USB stick. Researching the issue lead me to find other people had the same issue because of bad ram so I flashed memtest to a stick and let it run and it discovered that the second stick was totally faulty. Removing the bad RAM has eliminated all my issues and the mackintosh (tinytosh) is running good now using 1x4GB and 1x2GB RAM while I wait for a replacement 4GB RAB to arrive.

Maybe something could be added to the installation guides to stress the fact you need to fully test the components including RAM and SSD before even attempting an installation. It seems obvious to me now but you always assume that new ram / ssd is good which in my case was not true.

I had to borrow the DP-to-DVI cable from this setup for another system and I just assumed I could switch to VGA. Suddenly my Tiny (which worked for 9 months without incident) appeared to stall at setup for no reason, when really it was handing off video to DP. I just wasted like 4 hours trying to debug and reinstall a non-broken system. Such a humbling degree of stupidity, when I should have just read the entire thread.

Thanks again Gigamaxx for making this nearly turnkey for us lightweights!

After almost 3 very long and frustrating weeks, I finally got my build working. My issue?
IOConsoleUsers: gIOScreenLockState 3, hs0, bs0, now 0, sm0x0

I've tried everything. Installed Catalina, Mojave, High Sierra... all stopped there at first boot.
I noticed something tho: while installing, the gIOScreenLockState 3 had values different from 0. And I could see the GUI and do my partitioning and setup. But after installation, all values for gIOScreenLockState were 0 and it hung there.

So I figured I should copy the EFI folders from the bootable USB (since those seemed to work for install) and overwrite the EFI folder from the installed partition.
I have a Windows 10 dualboot, so I booted up in that and followed these steps to access the EFI partition:

1- Mount the EFI partition to a free mount point:
-- Run command prompt as administrator
-- Type "mountvol X: /s" (without the quotes, X being an unused mount point)

2- Use Explorer++ (Free, Open Source app) to manipulate the files on the partition:
-- https://explorerplusplus.com/
-- Run Explorer++ with administrative privileges

(credit to Dr.Hurt from InsanelyMac.com)

After copying them, I rebooted and Catalina booted right up and I could finish my initial setup.
Everything works! Bluetooth adapter, built-in speaker, ultra-wide display, bluetooth keyboard. Very pleased.

Note: I am using an HDMI only ultra-wide monitor with a DP to HDMI adapter. PC is m93p Tiny, i5-4570, HD4600, 8GB ram, 500GB SSD.

Thank you Gigamaxx.

Hi @Gigamaxx

I'm looking for some advice please. I've just put Big Sur on a Lenovo m39p tiny (haswell) using opencore 0.6.7, and it's all working fine apart from shutdown. It gets so far, and then the power light remains on, the CPU fan is still spinning and it warms up a lot if left that way. I either have to pull the plug, or hold the power button to fully power it off. I've mapped my USB ports, and tried the "Fixing Shutdown/Restart", under "USB Fixes" from the OpenCore documentation, and this did seem to fix it but now it's back. I recently swapped a USB wifi dongle for an internal PCI-E wifi card (BCM94352HMB), which works great. Then I noticed my shutdown problem was back. But no matter what I've tried I can't fix it now. I've redone the USB port mapping (several times and several ways), but no luck.

I’ve tried your EFI USBPorts.kext and also tried the OC EFI that was in a previous post on GitHub, but that won’t even boot.

Any idea what to try next please?

Back