Installation of Mac OS 11 Big Sur on a Lenovo Ideapad s540-14IWL with OpenCore

Untitled.jpg

200424-l.jpg

The specs of the machine are:

(CPU) Intel Core i5-8265U

IPS Panel 14 " 1920x1080

RAM 8 GB DDR4

Intel UHD Graphics 620

NVME SSD 256 GB (and a second NVME SSD 256 GB added by me)

DW1820a wifi and bluetooth (replaced the original Intel combo card)

O2 SD Card Reader,

HDMI. out,

2 x USB 3.1,

1 x USB-C 3.1,

Camera

Fingerprint sensor.

All files are posted and will be updated in my Github repo :
https://github.com/Hasodikis/Lenovo-Ideapad-s540-14IWL---Hackintosh

Notes
  1. Everything works, except the fingerprint sensor (which will never work). I have disabled it by adding to boot arguments in config.plist the following
    uia_exclude=HS07;
  2. The touchpad is in polling mode and works well, however palm rejection is not so good.
  3. Some times the touchpad will not work, just reboot. It's a very very rare phenomenon... but it happens. We cannot find out why.... Seems to be fixed.....
  4. This guide is based on a disabled CFG Lock and the config.plist configuration is based on that. There are details below on how to access hidden bios settings.
  5. The configuration is heavily biased towards maximum battery life and low temps (and against performance, which in my case is not needed) with customised CPUFriendDataProvider.kext, i.e. base cpu freq of 800 mhz etc......
  6. If you need HDMI at boot or after wake up without unpluggin - pluggin the cable, add to boot arguments "igfxonln=1" (without brackets). System will be a bit chopy for a few seconds but it works normally afterwards. (see update at 2nd post).
  7. This GUIDE is for people with the same laptop only and all acpi amls, patches, quirks and boot arguments are tailored to it. Modify accordingly.....

BIOS SETTINGS:
BE VERY CAREFULL, THIS PART IS IMPORTANT and I am not responsible if you mess it up!!!!!!!

[Credit goes to Diliansky (https://github.com/daliansky) https://github.com/daliansky/Lenovo-Air13-IWL-Hackintosh/blob/master/Advanced/ReadMe.md.]

Enter BIOS, set onekeybattery to disabled, save and exit.
Power button to turn on → F2 to enter the normal BIOS → Power button to turn off → then, moving fast, press the following keys in sequence:

F1 → 1 → Q → A → Z

F2 → 2 → W → S → X

F3 → 3 → E → D → C

F4 → 4 → R → F → V

F5 → 5 → T → G → B

F6 → 6 → Y → H → N

Turn on with the power button → F2 and you will enter the hidden BIOS (if unsuccessful, please speed up your hand and try again). Then go to:

Advanced → Power & Performance → CPU-Power Management Control → CPU Lock Configuration → CFG Lock → Disabled

save and exit.

Do not touch anything else, unless you know perfectly well what you are doing......

As always then
  1. Create a bootable installation of MacOS 11 BigSur (follow the numerous guides on this site).
  2. Mount EFI partition of the bootable media.
  3. Replace EFI file of your installation media with my EFI (although I will try to keep an updated EFI here, all updates will certainly be at https://github.com/Hasodikis/Lenovo-Ideapad-s540-14IWL---Hackintosh) .
  4. Open config.plist and insert appropriate platform info (serial, UUID etc).
  5. Boot from the bootable media, install, mount EFI partition of the installation HD of your laptop, replace the EFI folder with the EFI on the USB, enjoy.

UPDATE 10-12-2020
1. Opencore 0.6.4
2. Overall cleanup of EFI and config.plist
3. Fixed a sneaky ACPI (POWS) error that presented in console when you plugged or unplugged power cord.
4. Better power consumption at idle (can be reduced even more with voltageshift)
5. 1-2 seconds slower boot than before.

UPDATE 6-1-2021​

Now on OpenCore 0.6.5.
Complete rewritte of EFI (more of a complete copy ......) based on the excellent work of
lietxia (https://github.com/lietxia/XiaoXinAir14IML_2019_hackintosh).
Best power consumption so far.
The minor ACPI POWS error when pluggin/unpluggin the power cord remains but it s seems to be of no consequencies.... Still working on it.
Everything that is to work.. just works.

DOWNLOAD AT:

ENJOY!!!!!

Note: If you dual boot with linux on a second HD, avoid booting into it with open core. Use bios menu to boot directly to grub. Although all amls are with "If (_OSI ("Darwin")) {}" we still have ACPI injection in linux and it messes things up....!!! seriously messes things up!!!!
In Manjaro, the system thinks its a MacBook Pro 15.4 and that the vendor is ACIDANTHERA........ go figure....
Also you will be faced with various strange problems i.e. changing brightness with hotkeys is choppy and almost impossible....

Cudos to Marianopela (https://github.com/marianopela/Lenovo-Ideapad-S540-14IML-Hackintosh) for the help, the patience and the hard work.........He made all of this possible.....

Screenshot of system
Screenshot 2020-12-11 at 10.46.23 AM.png

DISCLAIMER:
  1. This project started for educational purposes.
  2. The data, guides etc of this project are provided as they are.
  3. I take no responsibility for any problem or damage to any person or property caused directly or indireclty because of the use of any data or guide etc of this project.

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.4 MB · Views: 219
Last edited:
UPDATE 18-12-2020

HDMI now fixed.......
If you need HDMI at boot or after wake up without unpluggin - pluggin the cable, add to boot arguments "igfxonln=1" (without brackets). System will be a bit chopy for a few seconds but it works normally afterwards.

Attaching updated EFI
As always fill in PlatformInfo

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 97
Last edited:
I am also attaching a voltageshift folder for those who want to undervolt their CPUs GPU etc....

BE VERY VERY VERY VERY CAREFUL if you decide to built a launchd so that you don't brake your system!!!!!

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!!!

Cudos to https://github.com/sicreative/VoltageShift
Read the directions carefully....

1. boot in to Recovery mode, select Terminal at toolbar and enter:

csrutil enable --without kext

2. After reboot, ensure the kext and the command tool files are in the same directory (leave it in downloads if you want to use the scripts in the file).

For Big Sur, a dialog will show when first launched, go System Preferences>Security & Privacy unlock and allow the kext loaded, reboot for it to take effect.

In the scripts replace ***** with your root password

Attachments

• voltageshift.zip
    90.9 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
ACPI error correction

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.3 MB · Views: 76

UPDATE 6-1-2021​

Now on OpenCore 0.6.5 with BIg Sur 11.1

This update is a complete rewrite of the EFI (more of a complete and shameless copy ......:twisted:) based on the excellent work of lietxia (https://github.com/lietxia/XiaoXinAir14IML_2019_hackintosh).

Used with CPUFriend kexts in the EFI and with VoltageShift (./voltageshift offset -120 -50 -100 0 0 0 1 20 30 0 60) I have got the best power consumption so far. At idle its steadily at 1,50-170 Watts for CPU..... !!!!!!!

Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 8.39.57 AM.png

According to coconut battery with a browser open, connected to wifi and the screen at half brightness it discharges power with 6.56 Watts......
Screenshot 2021-01-07 at 8.46.42 AM.png

The minor ACPI POWS error when pluggin/unpluggin the power cord remains, but it s seems to be of no consequences .... I am still working on it and so far the way to counter it (with a SSDT-POWS.aml and a relevant patch ) delays the update of power status for some seconds (around a minute).
Everything that is to work.. just works.

DOWNLOAD THE EFI AT:

As always fill in PlatformInfo. Be careful, in OpenCore 0.6.5. this is a more elaborate procedure.

Please post any questions here.... In github raise only issues.....
I will provide any help I can... but be patient... I dont have much free time....

ENJOY!!!!!

Last edited:

UPDATE 14-1-2021​

General clean up of the EFI. Several Improvements.

By far the most stable and the best in power consumption.

With touchpad in polling mode, CPU at idle is at around 4,5% and even less, PKG is at around 1,5 -1,6 Watts, Core is at around 0,20 Watts!!!!!!

Only thing left is make the touchpad work in pinning mode, which is very very difficult......

Voltageshift settings: ./voltageshift offset -120 -50 -100 0 0 0 1 20 30 0 60

As always .... fill in platform info .....

Enjoy!!!!

EFI at:

Does anybody know if the same version of the computer but with the i7 10th gen processor works as well?
i also have problems understanding the third and fourth step after entering the secret bios, how should I mount the new efi if i cannot access the efi inside the bootable media i have just created?
hope anyone can help me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back