Contribute
Register

[success] Junip's build : Core i7-3930k - GA-X79-UD5 - 16GB - GTX680

Status
Not open for further replies.
...Another important thing to bear in mind while installing : if you've more than 4GB of RAM installed, you should only keep 4GB max while in the installer.
Good News! The 4GB RAM is no longer required. The restriction was for earlier versions of Chameleon/Chimera & iBoot. So, don't worry about the amount of memory for installation.

Thanks a lot. I built a system on your specs (with a 670) and this thread is what got it all working (sans the audio kext...they removed it). Totally appreciated! If you happen to find another source for the sound kext or get the wireless card running, drop a post!

Thanks again.

@Junip: can you comment on why you went with a gigabyte board rather than, say, an Asus? Do you think there would be anything different needed to be done if one had your build except used an Asus board (or Asrock???)

I have this exact build out except I have the
Intel Core i7-3960X processor. I follow the instructions and I keep on getting boot0: done with garbage characters afterwards. I have an app store copy of ML 10.8.2 and I am using a Mac Pro Retina to make the boot drive using unibeast. I have tried 3 different flash drives so far
and I get the same results. What am I doing wrong?

Update: I think I got it. Missed one stupid little step.

Hi,

I also set up a hack for music recording purposes (logic pro using a fireface 800). So far I'm quite pleased with the build, certainly in terms of performance.

mobo x79-ud5, 3930k, 32 ram, gpu gt 430 (fanless)

I still have an issue with shutdown. The system does appear to shutdown (monitor and drives are switched off), but the motherboard stays alive and all fans keep spinning.
Reading around on the forum, I tried disabling wake on lan, but without success. I also read something about some procedure related to PS2 keyboard/mouse in IOKS that blocks the shutdown procedure from finishing. However, I've only find older posts on this specific issue and this is on a mobo with another chipset (z68 I believe). Could this also be causing my issues with shutdown? I wonder if any of you have encountered this issue or if you have any idea where I should look.

Something I want to add as a for-your-information: so far there was one main issue: completely random freezes. It turned out to be the graphics card being installed in the wrong slot. The board has 2 pciex16 slots. As I wanted to have both pciex1 slots to be available, I initially chose to install the graphics card in the lower pciex16 slot.
I didn't have a clue where to start when these freezes were occurring, but reopening the case, switching the graphics card to the top pciex16 slot was the first thing that crossed my mind. And it apparently did the trick...

Would love to hear some thoughts on the shutdown issue - thanks for your inputs!

ciao

Does the rear panel audio now work using Multibeast?

How do I see the CPU temperature?I have installed FakeSMC & FakeSMC-plugin
But still do not see the temperature

junip have you connected a usb 3 drive to you setup and does it work at usb 3 speeds without crashing? does anyone know of a lga 2011 board that has working usb3 and support 64gig or ram? i got the x79s up5 but the usb is insanely broken. if you get connected the drives will randomly disconnect and u cant get anything done.

junip have you connected a usb 3 drive to you setup and does it work at usb 3 speeds without crashing? does anyone know of a lga 2011 board that has working usb3 and support 64gig or ram? i got the x79s up5 but the usb is insanely broken. if you get connected the drives will randomly disconnect and u cant get anything done.

The front and rear USB 3 on this MB works just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back