i5 4690
Graphics
HD 4600
Mac
  1. iMac
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
  2. iOS
TL;DR How to hackintosh a JGINYUE B85I-PLUS mini-ITX Haswell system with OpenCore. Big Sur is running. Custom ACPI tables must be created.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.27.54.png

I will explain a bit about the mainboard at the end of the guide.

What works:
- Boots without delay
- Sound
- USB
- Network
- Onboard Graphics
- Standby (monitor goes to sleep)
- NVME and SATA SSDs

What does not work:
- Sleep (the BIOS only mentions S1 state but not S3, so it might not be supported at all)

BIOS settings: As recommended by the OpenCore guide. Minimum Vmem is set 96MB instead of 64MB which is recommended by the guide. (With 64 it would not boot).

How to make it work:
Just follow the https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide and you are done. :)
Just kidding, it took me hours to find out why it was not working. This is not vanilla Gigabyte board that was tested with OpenCore a million times.

1. Creating the USB as in the guide.
2. Creating your EFI Folder as in the guide. My basic EFI looked like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.32.58.png
As recommended only HfsPlus.efi https://github.com/acidanthera/OcBinaryData/blob/master/Drivers/HfsPlus.efi and OpenRuntime.efi are added. I never used Openshell but it was recommended for debugging.

3. Kexts
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.34.25.png

AppleALC, Lilu, RealtekRTL8111,VirtualSMC and Whatevergreen. Download them from the originator.

USBPorts.kext has to be created using the TonyMac manual on USB injection. https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/the-new-beginners-guide-to-usb-port-configuration.286553/
This is the USBPorts.kext for the B85I Mainboard. It injects the six USB Ports on the back and the two front USB3 ports but not the front USB2 ports (I do not have a bracket to test).
USBInjectAll works as well. So you use it and follow the guide to create your own kext.

4. ACPI tables

The SSDT-PLUG and SSDT-EC from the Dortania guide do not work with this mainboard. It will boot, taking forever and with error messages and sometimes kernel panic. Also Sound will not work.
I used SSDTTime to create patched SSDTs.
Download my results folder in the end of this post.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.36.34.png
DSDT.aml is the unpatched DSDT from the system. Just added for completion. What I used were the three .aml files. SSDT-EC.aml, SSDT-HPET.aml and SSDT-PLUG.aml - I am not sure whether the HPET is really neccessary. It is used to patch away legacy IRQs. Most likely the ACPI tables have none of these. But as this board is a bit exotic, I appled the default patches and included it.

And I copied the lines in the patches_OC.plist to my config.plist - This is important!

5. Config.plist
I copied the sample.plist from the OpenCore installer package and renamed it to config.plist
My finished folder:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.37.37.png

For editing the config.plist I use ProperTree and the text editor for copy paste.
In Propertree I used the Cmd/Ctrl + Shift + R and pointed it at my EFI/OC folder
It imported all kexts, drivers and SSDT aml files.
ACPI Add is complete now.
ACPI Delete remains unchanged.
ACPI Patch - Copied the three patches from the patches_OC.plist to the config.plist
ACPI Quirks ramain unchanged.
Booter like in the guide for Haswell.
DeviceProperties is specific to My GPU (Intel HD 4600 of my Core i5 4690). Change it following the guide if you want to use a different GPU.
Bildschirmfoto 2021-03-27 um 11.39.22.png

Kernel Quirks as in the guide EXCEPT for XhciPortLimit which can be set to False as we use a custom USB kext instead of USBInjectAll.
Misc section as in guide.
NVRAM section as in guide.
Audio is injected by adding alcid=3 in the boot-args
Platforminfo as in guide. I use iMac15,1 as system definition.
Rest of the config.plist is as in guide.

6. Testing the EFI folder

Save everything, put the EFI folder on a USB stick and see whether it boots.

Files:
config.plist (Change the Platforminfo part. I put in rubbish).
USBPorts.kext - The kext is specific to this mainboard.
SSDTTime results - The patched SSDT files for this mainboard.

Appendix: The JGINYUE Mainboard
Why would anyone buy a Chinese 1150 mainboard in 2021?
I wanted to have a budget Mini-ITX computer with an affordable CPU. Haswell CPUs are strong enough for an office PC and can be found on the cheap.
Used ITX mainboards are still quite expensive in Europe, so I checked AliExpress and found this board with some features you do not find on used mainboards:
  • Nice design (white mainboard).
  • 2 NVMe slots. One for NVMe SSD, one for Wifi. So you should be able to put in the recommended Wifi cards into that slot.
The rest is similar to used 1150 mainboards (USB3, SATA3).

Does it have downsides? Sure. Sleep does not work. The mainboard BIOS does not mention S3 state, but only S1 state. Perhaps it is not implemented. If someone has an idea, please comment.

Can I recommend it? Yes, it works well since two days and I had no crashes. If that changes, I will post it here.

http://www.jginyue.com is a Chinese brand of Mainboards. I bought mine on Aliexpress.com - There is also a H97 version which supports Broadwell. I tried installing a Broadwell on the B85 mainboard and even flashed the BIOS from the H97 version but it did not work.
I switched to the H97 version and even got a Z97 chip. But I did not manage to get the MAC OS running with the H97 board.

Attachments

• config.plist
    25.8 KB · Views: 386
  • SSDTTime Results.zip
    22.5 KB · Views: 277
  • USBPorts.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 289
Last edited:
Thanks for your effort creating this post!
Looking forward giving my first hackintosh budget build a try.
Greetings Chris.

Hello Luki,

Its been a while (since the end of March) that you've installed Big Sur.
I am wondering how its working out, AND your experience with this
el cheapo ITX & Big Sur.

Next to that I cannot find any instruction/manual to this MB.
Since VGA in hackintoshes/Big Sur seems to be a problem, how did you connect your display?
As I cant get HDMI show up within Win10. Is there some kind of setting to set right?
A little help would be appreciated.....
Many thanks in advance.

Hello Luki,

Its been a while (since the end of March) that you've installed Big Sur.
I am wondering how its working out, AND your experience with this
el cheapo ITX & Big Sur.

Next to that I cannot find any instruction/manual to this MB.
Since VGA in hackintoshes/Big Sur seems to be a problem, how did you connect your display?
As I cant get HDMI show up within Win10. Is there some kind of setting to set right?
A little help would be appreciated.....
Many thanks in advance.
Hi Zoltar,

It has been working well since I installed it.
As it is meant for the Chinese market, there seems to be no English manual.

For me HDMI worked out of the box. I wonder if VGA would work as Macs usually do not have a VGA port anymore. Unfortunately I have no cable to check.
If onboard graphics do not work with Windows, your mainboard may be defective. You could still try external graphics though.

Hello Luki,

Jginyue is working on their webpage.
Hoping for more info from that.
A bigger external graphics card is something what should be possible within the classic II enclosure, as its also a mobile gaming rig, if I can provide sufficient ventilation.
But I shall recheck that HDMI connection anyhow.

Thanks for your time!
Chris.

Hello Luki; board arrived today. I'm going to try your guide and report back over the weekend!!

Could you post your BIOS settings - I get blank screen on startup; ie: verbose mode shows boot but when installer loads it goes to blank screen

EDIT - something not quite right. I get blank screen when the iGPU framebuffer initializes. Checked IOReg and all ports map to HDMI.

Final fix - mapped all ports to HDMI and patched OpenCore via Hackintool fixed issue. Must admit that the fix is beyond my technical understanding.

Last edited:
Hey man, I know this might not be the right thread for it, but I am desperate for help as I cannot find anything anywhere else.

I just bought this exact same motherboard for my i5-4690K. One of the reasons why I chose that one was because it supported M.2 drives.

I have 2 problems with it.

The first one is that my M.2 (SATA3) is NOT recognized by the BIOS at all, and I have no idea how to fix this.

The second problem is that I have 2 x 8GB sticks of RAM (Corsair Vengeance), but the BIOS only sees half of the memory on each stick.

Do you have any idea how I could fix these?

OK so it turns out that the reason why the M.2 is not recognized is because the Motherboard is compatible only with NVMe SSDs. So that problem is solved.

I still have not found a solution to the problem with the RAM though.

OK so it turns out that the reason why the M.2 is not recognized is because the Motherboard is compatible only with NVMe ssds. So that problem is solved.

I still have not found a solution to the problem with the RAM though.
maybe check for bios updates

also your video card is not supported in Big Sur

Ok today I also took a better look at my DIMMs. It says 1.65v on them.

While in the BIOS the motherboard says the voltage supply to the RAM is only 1.5.

Could this be the reason why only half the memory is seen by the system?

Is there any way to increase the RAM voltage in the BIOS?

Thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_20211217_012232.jpg
    IMG_20211217_012232.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back