Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
Mac Pro
Hello @artooks
You need to set up the IGPU in "Headless" configuration to run Final Cut Pro X , iMovie and other professional video editing software, meaning that the IGPU wil not be used to display but only for compute tasks.
please read carefully this post from @Kennkimm66 that explains very well what it is, how to set it up and how to verify it is working correctly.

Please have a look also in this same thread the discussion that I had with @CaseySJ for my configuration

You will have also very good info related to Headless mode in @jaymonkey 's thread about Lilu and its plug ins (this guide together with the ones from @CaseySJ are part of what I would call the "Hackintosh Bible"

https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/an-idiots-guide-to-lilu-and-its-plug-ins.260063/
Thank you I am trying to understand it, but for me it is not very clear, I appreciate if you could help me,

From what I have red It says that we need VDADecoderChecker to see if the Hardware Acceleration is enabled or not, I attached it It says it is fully supported, so in my SMBIOS, My Product Model is set to: iMacPro1,1 would that still work ?
so apart from these do I have to go to the Devices Properties and what should I enter that is not very clear for me I am using intel i9-9900 and AMD Radeon Vega 64 Frontier Edition GPU, so what should I enter in the properties ?

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix Z370-G Gaming (Wi-Fi AC)
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
iBook, Power Mac, PowerBook
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you I am trying to understand it, but for me it is not very clear, I appreciate if you could help me,

From what I have red It says that we need VDADecoderChecker to see if the Hardware Acceleration is enabled or not, I attached it It says it is fully supported, so in my SMBIOS, My Product Model is set to: iMacPro1,1 would that still work ?
so apart from these do I have to go to the Devices Properties and what should I enter that is not very clear for me I am using intel i9-9900 and AMD Radeon Vega 64 Frontier Edition GPU, so what should I enter in the properties ?
If you are using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you can just disable IGPU in BIOS.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
Mac Pro
If you are using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you can just disable IGPU in BIOS.
Thank you pastrychef, this is what I get from Videoproc so does this mean that the Hardware Acceleration is working ? If I disable the IGPU in Bios does my Hardware Acceleration stops working ?

Attachments

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you pastrychef, this is what I get from Videoproc so does this mean that the Hardware Acceleration is working ? If I disable the IGPU in Bios does my Hardware Acceleration stops working ?
It looks like acceleration is working but I don't know if you refreshed it or not...

If you are using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you should disable IGPU in BIOS. Acceleration will be handled by your Vega. Real iMacPro1,1s don't have any IGPU.

If you want to use iMac18,x or iMac19,x, leave the IGPU enabled and configure it to be headless in your config.plist. Real iMac18,x and iMac19,x have IGPU enabled and configured to be headless.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
Mac Pro
Hi,

It looks like acceleration is working but I don't know if you refreshed it or not...

If you are using iMacPro1,1 system definition, you should disable IGPU in BIOS. Acceleration will be handled by your Vega. Real iMacPro1,1s don't have any IGPU.

If you want to use iMac18,x or iMac19,x, leave the IGPU enabled and configure it to be headless in your config.plist. Real iMac18,x and iMac19,x have IGPU enabled and configured to be headless.
Thank you so from what I have understand you are saying that if I leave it as MacPro, I should disable the internal Graphics which I did and tried it with Videoproc refreshed it and looks like it is still working, if I use iMac 18,x which do I only have to add properties in the Devices and if so what do I need to enter can you please tell me ?

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi,

Thank you so from what I have understand you are saying that if I leave it as MacPro, I should disable the internal Graphics which I did and tried it with Videoproc refreshed it and looks like it is still working, if I use iMac 18,x which do I only have to add properties in the Devices and if so what do I need to enter can you please tell me ?

Screen Shot 2019-06-07 at 9.25.10 AM.png

pastrychef

Motherboard
CPU
i9-9900K OC'd @ 5.0GHz
Graphics
Radeon VII
Mac
MacBook, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
iOS
Thank you very much so that would be it apart from changing the Model number from SMBIOS to iMac 18.x
Yes. Remember, when changing system definitions, it's a good idea to change Serial, Board Serial, and UUID too.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z97-UD5H
CPU
i7 4790k
Graphics
GTX 1070
Mac
Mac mini
Mobile Phone
iOS
jbarnette, been watching your thread with interest as I would like to build the same, Question: Does High Sierra support this new intel i9 9900k, because I need to stay with nvidia for the time being. If someone could answer much appreciated thanks.

Found my answer, apparently its supported :) Yippeeeee. Wallet, Ho nooooooooo.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
Vega Frontier Edition
Mac
Mac Pro
Hi Everyone,

I got a SPDIF optical expansion card for my Z390 M Gaming motherboard,
I installed it and see the red signal light I choose "Digital Out" for the sound output but still do not get any sound, I have Apple ALC and Lilu installed, but it seems that this is not working, do I need to use a patch or something to make this enable ?