Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - ASUS TUF Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, after a long night of trying stuff out I finally made it through the installer and set up my system using the guide by @CaseySJ and in this thread. Now I run into an issue that I can barely find information about. I can boot into my Mojave install via the boot stick, but, when I try to boot directly from my SSD, all I get is: "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform".
I found one other thread about this, suggesting it has to do with using the wrong Mac model in Clover Configurator. Tried out the MacPro with i9 (it seems most similar to my build) and the MacMini8 suggested in CaseySJ's guide.

Also, after I mostly set up my EFI following CaseySJ's guide, I tried to use the one from this threat, at leas for UEFI, kext and ACAPI folders.

Any ideas whats going on?

(By the way, in "About this mac" the model shown is an old iMac from 2013 and my CPU is not recognized)

I can send more information, Folders, screenshots etc. if needed.

Thanks a lot in advance,
I've won a battle tonight (in finally installing), so lets keep on fighting: )

So, after a long night of trying stuff out I finally made it through the installer and set up my system using the guide by @CaseySJ and in this thread. Now I run into an issue that I can barely find information about. I can boot into my Mojave install via the boot stick, but, when I try to boot directly from my SSD, all I get is: "This version of Mac OS X is not supported on this platform".
I found one other thread about this, suggesting it has to do with using the wrong Mac model in Clover Configurator. Tried out the MacPro with i9 (it seems most similar to my build) and the MacMini8 suggested in CaseySJ's guide.

Also, after I mostly set up my EFI following CaseySJ's guide, I tried to use the one from this threat, at leas for UEFI, kext and ACAPI folders.

Any ideas whats going on?

(By the way, in "About this mac" the model shown is an old iMac from 2013 and my CPU is not recognized)

I can send more information, Folders, screenshots etc. if needed.

Thanks a lot in advance,
I've won a battle tonight (in finally installing), so lets keep on fighting: )
Could it be that you inadvertently selected iMac8,1 instead of Macmini8,1? It has happened before!

After booting with the USB install disk and logging into Mojave, you can mount the EFI partition on the Mojave SSD and check the config.plist located in the EFI/CLOVER folder.

The screenshot below shows all of the PCIe devices in the system. They should all appear in this section of IOReg. As you can see, your GPU, Thunderbolt card, and Samsung NVMe drives are visible. But no other device appears.

Because the Fenvi card is showing up in BIOS, it is possible that you have a DSDT or SSDT that might be interfering. Can you post a screenshot of the following folders:
  • CLOVER/ACPI/patched
  • CLOVER/kexts/Other

View attachment 403161

Hello @CaseySJ,

I have uploaded the requested screenshot (picture 01). I have added also a screenshot of the L/E folder (picture 02) as well as the USB SSDT that I have created for this board (as per your guide suggestion, port limit patch disabled in Clover).

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• 01.EFI.png
    01.EFI.png
    380.4 KB · Views: 89
  • 02.L:E-folder.png
    02.L:E-folder.png
    224.1 KB · Views: 109
  • SSDT-USB-Z390M-Gaming-MMairav04.aml
    697 bytes · Views: 75
Hello @CaseySJ,

I have uploaded the requested screenshot (picture 01). I have added also a screenshot of the L/E folder (picture 02) as well as the USB SSDT that I have created for this board (as per your guide suggestion, port limit patch disabled in Clover).

Thank you very much!
Couple of immediate comments:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen should also be copied to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This can help with future OS updates.
  • I am suspicious about /Library/Extensions/FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext. The Fenvi FV-T919 works out-of-the-box without the need for anything else.
    • Try moving that file onto the Desktop or other location.
    • Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache. Any time we add or remove files from /L/E we have to do this.
    • Reboot.
    • Does it make a difference?
By the way, have you tried moving the Fenvi card to a different slot, even the long slot? Does it make any difference?

Couple of immediate comments:
  • Lilu and WhateverGreen should also be copied to the CLOVER/kexts/Other folder. This can help with future OS updates.
  • I am suspicious about /Library/Extensions/FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext. The Fenvi FV-T919 works out-of-the-box without the need for anything else.
    • Try moving that file onto the Desktop or other location.
    • Then run Kext Utility to rebuild kernel cache. Any time we add or remove files from /L/E we have to do this.
    • Reboot.
    • Does it make a difference?
By the way, have you tried moving the Fenvi card to a different slot, even the long slot? Does it make any difference?

So I removed the FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext from the L/E folder, but no change after rebuilding cache and restoring permissions with kext utility. Unfortunately still no wifi after reboot.... :( just bluetooth
I have tried also to have the Fenvi card in slot 4 (this is normally where I have the Titan ridge card) but same result: no wifi just bluetooth
This is driving me nuts, and apologies for bothering you with such a strange problem....

Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.15.06.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.15.06.png
    191 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.16.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.16.04.png
    249.8 KB · Views: 75
  • Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.31.48.png
    Screenshot 2019-05-02 at 19.31.48.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 85
So I removed the FakePCIID_Broadcom_WiFi.kext from the L/E folder, but no change after rebuilding cache and restoring permissions with kext utility. Unfortunately still no wifi after reboot.... :( just bluetooth
I have tried also to have the Fenvi card in slot 4 (this is normally where I have the Titan ridge card) but same result: no wifi just bluetooth
This is driving me nuts, and apologies for bothering you with such a strange problem....

Thank you very much!
I think we have ruled out software-related issues. Unless there's a problem with config.plist it seems the remaining options are limited:
  • One can try the card in a different Hackintosh.
  • One can try to wiggle the components on the card in the event that the Broadcom module might have come loose. The Fenvi is made up of two components:
    • The Broadcom 94360 module
    • The PCIe x1 adapter containing a mini-PCIe slot into which the Broadcom module is inserted
    • There is a cover on top, which makes it complicated to reach the Broadcom module inside, but if you're so inclined you might try to get to it...
  • Borrow a similar card from someone if possible and see whether it works. If so, the Fenvi is defective and should be replaced.
  • If it's not feasible to borrow a card, replace the card.

Could it be that you inadvertently selected iMac8,1 instead of Macmini8,1? It has happened before!

After booting with the USB install disk and logging into Mojave, you can mount the EFI partition on the Mojave SSD and check the config.plist located in the EFI/CLOVER folder.

I solved this by adding -no_compat_check to my boot arguments. Then I updated to 10.14.4, selected IMac 18,3, took the argument out of the boot again, and everything works now.

By the way, anybody here, with the same board, a full size GPU (taking up 3 slots), a titan ridge add in card and working WIFI + BT?
I just realised that I only have one PCIe slot left but still want to have TB3 and wifi-BT. Thinking about trying to cram a flexible PCIe cable into the slot underneath the GPU. Or is there a way to put a Wifi-BT card into an m2 M Key socket?

I think we have ruled out software-related issues. Unless there's a problem with config.plist it seems the remaining options are limited:
  • One can try the card in a different Hackintosh.
  • One can try to wiggle the components on the card in the event that the Broadcom module might have come loose. The Fenvi is made up of two components:
    • The Broadcom 94360 module
    • The PCIe x1 adapter containing a mini-PCIe slot into which the Broadcom module is inserted
    • There is a cover on top, which makes it complicated to reach the Broadcom module inside, but if you're so inclined you might try to get to it...
  • Borrow a similar card from someone if possible and see whether it works. If so, the Fenvi is defective and should be replaced.
  • If it's not feasible to borrow a card, replace the card.

Hello @CaseySJ

So finally I bought the abwb wifi/bt card. I shall get it before the end of the week. I wanted to report after a few tests, but something happened in between. Here it is: this morning when I started my hackintosh, I didnt get rigthaway and as usual at the Clover GUI. There were before a couple of reboot until the Gigabyte UltraDurable Logo and then the Clover GUI. But this was strange because I do remember very well to have disabled in BIOS the Full Logo Display option, to boot more quickly. Booting into the BIOS I realized that it reverted itself from version F6 to F2!
So what I did I switched off, cleared the CMOS, went back into the BIOS, changed a few parameters and rebooted once more, and guess what: the Wifi card now is detected by MacOS! see the screenshots attached ! and BT is still there, as well as Thunderbolt! a Miracle !!!!
Maybe not .... I suspect that there are some tricky settings in the UEFI BIOS for this motherboard
Looking back into the BIOS I realized that actually I forgot to change a few parameters:
  1. the choice of the OS is still set to Windows 8/10 (normally I have this set to other OS)
  2. CSM is enabled (normally I have on disabled)
  3. Vt-D is on enabled (normally I disable this)
  4. Power management is on disabled (normally I have this on Enabled)
I know this is irrational but I am really scared to change now any of these parameters.... :shifty:
This build is now fully functional and really everything works (sleep/wake; BT handoff/continuity; sound; wifi etc.)
I haven't install much software yet but this will come now, and if I find anything funky I will report back.
Not sure if this story will help really anybody on this forum but I thought it would still be good to have it for sake of completeness... and I don't know what I will be doing with the extra card but I don't care.....
thank you very much!

Attachments

• Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 20.28.28.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 20.28.28.png
    447.6 KB · Views: 84
  • Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 19.33.40.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 19.33.40.png
    171.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 18.22.30.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 18.22.30.png
    133.7 KB · Views: 76
  • Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 18.22.55.png
    Capture d’écran 2019-05-07 à 18.22.55.png
    119 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Hello @CaseySJ

So finally I bought the abwb wifi/bt card. I shall get before the end of the week. I wanted to report after a few tests, but something happened in between. Here it is: this morning when I started my hackintosh, I didnt get rigthaway and as usual at the Clover GUI. There were before a couple of reboot until the Gigabyte UltraDurable Logo and then the Clover. GUI. But this was strange because I do remeber very well to have disbled in BIOS the Full Logo Display option to boot more quickly. Booting into the BIOS I realized that it reverted from version F6 to F2!
So what I did I switched off, cleared the CMOS, went back into the BIOS, changed a few parameters and rebooted once more, and guess what: the Wifi card now is detected by MacOS! see the screenshots attached ! and BT is still there, as well as Thunderbolt! a Miracle !!!!
Maybe not .... I suspect that there some tricky settings in the UEFI BIOS for this motherboard
Looking back into the BIOS I realized that actually I forgot to change a few parameters:
  1. the choice of the OS is still set to Windows 8/10 (normally I have this set to other OS)
  2. CSM is enabled (normally I have on disabled)
  3. Vt-D is on enabled (normally I disable this)
  4. Power management is on disabled (normally I have this on Enabled)
I know this is irrational but I am really scared to change now any of these parameters.... :shifty:
This build is now fully functional and really everything works (sleep/wake; BT handoff/continuity; sounds; wifi etc.)
I havent installed much software yet but this will come now and if I find anything funky I will report back.
Not sure if this story will help really anybody on this forum but I thought it would still be good to have it for sake of completeness... and I dont know what I will be doing with the extra card but I dont care
thank you very much!

I bought this motherboard to play with a few weeks back and also experienced extremely bizarre BIOS behavior. Also, I was unable to boot with a network PCI-e card installed. I messed with it for a day and couldn't make sense of anything and gave up for now... Currently, the motherboard is sitting in my closet until I have more time to mess around...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back