Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Mac
Classic Mac
Mobile Phone
@joanareis here is my Thunderbolt install.

Installing GC-Titan Ridge

I installed the Titan Ridge in the last slot (PCIEX4). I removed my NVMe SSD, and installed Windows on a spare SSD that I had. The rest are the steps I used to get it running;
  • Booted into Windows, (let it do it's updates)
  • Grab the Gigabyte GC - Titan Ridge drivers and install them
  • Check Device Driver to make sure it's installed. (I can't remember where exactly, but it's nestled in there and it doesn't stand out)
  • Then run the GC - Titan Ridge application, to test if it is working (I used this USB-C hub)
  • Reboot and see if you have a Thunderbolt option now in the BIOS (It's under Peripherals)
  • Reboot into Mojave and install the following two files into EFI->CLOVER->ACPI->PATCHED reboot (Please see below)
  • Check About This Mac and System Report, then go to PCI (Should look like Image below)View attachment 402056
  • Open IORegistryExplorer and it should look like the image below
View attachment 402059

None of this could have been possible without @CaseySJ. His initial AML I used was the RP21, he redid it for me as it was found in RP05 as you can see above. So, thank you so much Casey, for all the work you do. I hope this helps anyone with our mobo, that wants to use the GC-Titan Ridge.

-Semper Fi
Awesome, thanks for sharing! Maybe I'll try it in the future!

kudos to @CaseySJ!!!!

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hi guys, I have a 9900K and this MB - Gigabyte Z390 M gaming + Radeon 570. I can't get it to overcome the second part of installation - I downloaded the EFI folder from here and set up BIOS as instructed. But when the screen finally boots and shows the installation - 13m remaining, it reboots and it never gets out of this loop. Any clues? Many thanks...
I have the same issue, but I just realized, that my 970 EVO Plus NVMe Drive isn't working with hackintoshs. So maybe you got that same drive? Will switch mine out this week, hopefully it helps.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9 9900k
Graphics
Vega 64
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
Okay, the new SSD solved my problem. But as a complete newbie to hackintosh, I'm really lost when it comes to MultiBeast settings. How do I use jBarnettes EFI folder? I looked for some kind of guide but couldn't find any information that would help me at all.

Would appreciate help, this is way more confusing then I thought it would be.

Last edited:
Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX580+UHD630
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mmaira That looks awesome, great job! I do have to mention though, the Fenvi card you are going to get is going to be ridiculously close to the RX 580 fans. I have this problem with my WiFi/Bluetooth card. All I could do was adjust the screws when I inserted the cards. I know that's hard to picture, and taking a picture of it won't help, but you'll see what I mean when you get it in there.

If you haven't done so I would surely recommend cloning your drive at this point. That is one hell of a job again.

-Semper Fi
Hello Gyrene,

So I finally got the Fenvi FV-T919 card. Your are right, it is pretty tight but there is still enough room away from the graphic card fan.
Actually I am encountering something very weird: After install, the card seem to be correctly detected as visible in the BIOS (In peripherals > Plug-in device Info). I can see that the second PCIe x1 slot is indeed occupied. But ,when I boot on Mojave, Bluetooth is correctly detected but no Wifi!
Generally people (in this forum and elsewhere) encounter the opposite problem often because the USB ports are not correctly configured:

If I boot now on a Windows disk, same problem: no Wifi but BT is there and working suggesting that the problem doesn't seem to be related to Mojave.
Conversely, if I add on the very same PCIe 1x slot, my old TP-link TL-WN881ND WiFi (only) card (from my current Hackintosh build GA-Z97M-DS3H+i7-4790K+GTX970 under High Sierra 10.13.6), I have operational Wifi in both Windows 10 and in Mojave suggesting that the PCIe x1 slot3 is not faulty.
Finally, if I use the Fenvi card in my current hackintosh (see above), both WiFi and BT work like a charm. Same thing under Windows 10!
The only conclusion for my little brain is that there is apparently a strict incompatibility between the FV-T919 card and the Gigabyte Z390M-Gaming motherboard, or maybe there is a very particular BIOS settings for this motherboard (BTW I have the latest F6 version installed) that I haven't yet discovered.
Not sure what to do else than trying another brand / build for a dual WiFi / BT card.
I will probably create a specific post for this problem to see if others have also experienced similar situations and if I can get more hypothesis that I can test :crazy:

Thank you

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390 M Gaming
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
MacBook Air, MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
Android, iOS
@mmaira,

So, I am glad you've gotten this far and sorry to hear about your present problem with the Fenti. This is the card that I am using that worked straight away, with PCIe x1 adapter:

Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth Module -- BCM94360CS2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C78VBCD/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH648BE6920

PCIe x1 adapter card for WiFi/BT module
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076KBBFV4/?tag=tonymacx86com-20
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIAH648BF4026

The card you are using can be used but there @CaseySJ created an .aml file that needs to be copied to the ACPI/patched folder. I wouldn't use the .aml until I asked CaseySJ his thoughts. I know some of his files I have used and it worked, ie the x580 file. Go over to his thread if you have questions he and everyone there are extremely knowledgable and helpful. I hope that helps. Keep me posted.

Alternate WiFi/BT Wireless Cards
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIADXZ7GS4848
The Fenvi FV-T919 provides both WiFi and Bluetooth, and works very well in a x1 slot with the SSDT-DESIGNARE-Z390-NO-CNVW.aml copied to the CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder on the EFI partition of the Mojave SSD. Instructions for copying the SSDT are provided in the spoiler labeled Final Steps in Post-Installation.

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mmaira,

With the Fenvi card installed, it would be helpful to run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and upload the resulting IOReg file. No other WiFi/BT devices should be installed at the same time. Your motherboard has an M.2 Socket 1 slot for Intel CNVi, but I believe it's unpopulated.

Motherboard
Gigabyte Z390M Gaming
CPU
i5-8600K
Graphics
RX580+UHD630
Mac
MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
iOS
@mmaira,

With the Fenvi card installed, it would be helpful to run IORegistryExplorer then select File --> Save As... and upload the resulting IOReg file. No other WiFi/BT devices should be installed at the same time. Your motherboard has an M.2 Socket 1 slot for Intel CNVi, but I believe it's unpopulated.
Hello @CaseySJ
First of all let me thank you very much for your the incredible knowledge, dedication, time and patience in providing thorough and clear guides and explanations to this community. You are a source of inspiration for many on this forum. Your guide for the Z390 Designare build is simply exceptional, and I really learned a lot by going through it (still learning actually as it is evolving with time :) ).
You are right, there is a dedicated M.2 slot dedicated to an Intel CNVi card, but it is empty. I actually quickly look in the BIOS, and I haven't seen anything related to CNVi. Maybe these options highlight when a card is plugged in?
I have attached the IOregExplorer file.
Thank you very much!

@Gyrene: thank you very much for your input and for providing the links. much appreciated. :thumbup:

Attachments

CaseySJ

Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i7-9700K
Graphics
RX 5700 XT
Mac
MacBook Air, Mac Pro
Classic Mac
Quadra
Mobile Phone
iOS
Hello @CaseySJ
You are right, there is a dedicated M.2 slot dedicated to an Intel CNVi card, but it is empty. I actually quickly look in the BIOS, and I haven't seen anything related to CNVi. Maybe these options highlight when a card is plugged in?
I have attached the IOregExplorer file.
Thank you very much!

@Gyrene: thank you very much for your input and for providing the links. much appreciated. :thumbup:
Thank you for the kind words! :)

Your IOReg shows:
  • Thunderbolt at RP05. This means you should be able to copy the two attached ".aml" files to your CLOVER/ACPI/patched folder for Thunderbolt hot-plug support and the use of USB-C devices.
  • There is no WiFi device present. Although the Fenvi has both WiFi and Bluetooth on a single module:
    • Bluetooth communicates with the system over the internal USB 2 header, which is working fine.
    • WiFi communicates through the PCIe bus, but there is no indication of this in IOReg. So some suggestions:
      1. Shutdown the system and remove power cable from the wall. (This is the only way to ensure no electricity is flowing into the system.)
      2. Remove and re-install the Fenvi card, making sure that it is properly seated in the PCIe slot.
      3. Power on the system and check WiFi.
      4. If there's still no sign of WiFi, repeat steps 1, 2, 3 but in Step 2, move the card into a different slot, perhaps a long slot.

Attachments