Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - ASUS TUF Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome thread!

I got this board running with Mojave a couple days ago by using a copy of an EFI folder that I compiled for a z390 Designare build. Luckily, I stumbled across this thread when attempting to find out why the USB 3.1 Type-C port wasn't working (all was well when using the internal header of my previous Designare build).

Thank you @jbarnette for providing the custom SSDT; however - after initial tests it appears that the pair of USB 3.0 ports next to the PS/2s seem to be working at full speed with USB 3.0 devices! But like you, my internal USB 2.0 header now no longer works (FWIW I did a recent build of this running High Sierra and all the USB ports are functional, but no biggie either way :).

Oh yeah, I must also note that I'm using a 9900KF, which doesn't have integrated graphics, so I'm thinking I might be better served going with an iMac Pro System Definition?

Lastly, I attached my EFI for reference.

9900KF
Z390 M Gaming
Sapphire 11266-06-20G Radeon Pulse RX 570 ITX 4GB
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 2400 MHz DDR4 DRAM (upgrade to 32GB shortly)
Fenvi FV-T919 Wireless AC1300 PCI Express Wi-Fi Adapter

Hopefully this helps!

If you don't have IGPU, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

If you don't have IGPU, use iMacPro1,1 system definition.

Awesome thanks! - I just switched and all appears to be solid!

I'm assuming you'd recommend that I use the iMac Pro System Definition when using High Sierra as well (when needing to use my Nvdia card)?

My mistake, I actually have an 8700K in my build with iGPU disabled. I will stick with the iMac Pro System Definition and it appears to play well with High Sierra too!

Is it recommended to use the iMac Pro with all z390 systems running without integrated GPUs or having them disabled?

My mistake, I actually have an 8700K in my build with iGPU disabled. I will stick with the iMac Pro System Definition and it appears to play well with High Sierra too!

Is it recommended to use the iMac Pro with all z390 systems running without integrated GPUs or having them disabled?

I don't know what others recommend, but, personally, I think iMacPro1,1 is the only one that makes sense if you don't have IGPU enabled.

I don't know what others recommend, but, personally, I think iMacPro1,1 is the only one that makes sense if you don't have IGPU enabled.

Does changing system definitions affect software already installed? I.e., is Office 365 or iMovie or whatever likely to have a fit about it?

I'm currently running iMac 14,2 and everything that I use seems to be working fine.

I have an AppleTV hooked up to the same 42" 1080p TV the computer uses, so I've not tried Netflix or any other streaming systems. (Though I did test with DC Universe, and it works fine though its web interface.)

Is there anything to gain for me to switch?

Last edited:
Does changing system definitions affect software already installed? I.e., is Office 365 or iMovie or whatever likely to have a fit about it?

I'm currently running iMac 14,2 and everything that I use seems to be working fine.

I have an AppleTV hooked up to the same 42" 1080p TV the computer uses, so I've not tried Netflix or any other streaming systems. (Though I did test with DC Universe, and it works fine though its web interface.)

Is there anything to gain for me to switch?

Apps purchased from the Apple App Store will not be a problem. Other apps may require re-registration. It depends on the copy protection they use.

I feel iMac14,2 is a poor choice for your hardware. In my opinion, iMac18,x, iMac19,x, or iMacPro1,1 are better choices. They are newer and will continue to receive macOS updates for longer. The chipsets on real iMac18,x and iMac19,x are much closer to what you are using.

Apps purchased from the Apple App Store will not be a problem. Other apps may require re-registration. It depends on the copy protection they use.

I feel iMac14,2 is a poor choice for your hardware. In my opinion, iMac18,x, iMac19,x, or iMacPro1,1 are better choices. They are newer and will continue to receive macOS updates for longer. The chipsets on real iMac18,x and iMac19,x are much closer to what you are using.

Ok - that makes sense. I change that profile setting in MultiBeast, right?

Just open your config.plist with Clover Configurator and make the change in the SMBIOS section. Then verify that it generated a good Serial and you are good.

Yes. IMO, in this case it's easier than Clover Configurator. Just select the new SysDef and install. MultiBeast does everything else including mounting your EFI partition to access your config.plist. Here's all you have to do:
:ch: First, log out of the MAS and iCloud;​
:ch: In MultiBeast:​
Customization > System Definitions > iMac > choose your desired SysDef​
Build > Install​
Reboot, and log back into iCloud.

Yes. IMO, in this case it's easier than Clover Configurator. Just select the new SysDef and install. MultiBeast does everything else including mounting your EFI partition to access your config.plist. Here's all you have to do:
:ch: First, log out of the MAS and iCloud;​
:ch: In MultiBeast:​
Customization > System Definitions > iMac > choose your desired SysDef​
Build > Install​
Reboot, and log back into iCloud.

Sorry - what is MAS?

Also - which kext is it I need to install so that system monitor stuff (temps, fan speeds) works? Whatever it is, I forgot to do it the first time around. I assume this would also be a good time to install it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back