Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] jbarnette's Build - ASUS TUF Z390 M Gaming + i9-9900K + Sapphire RX Vega 64 8GB + 32GB RAM + MacOS 10.14.3 w/ USB3 working!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys, I'm not sure why, but, after updating to 10.14.5, I've lost audio from the motherboard. I tried allocating the AppleALC kext in /L/E/ as well as installing it via the latest version of MultiBeast, but no success even after a couple of reboots. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Hey guys, I'm not sure why, but, after updating to 10.14.5, I've lost audio from the motherboard. I tried allocating the AppleALC kext in /L/E/ as well as installing it via the latest version of MultiBeast, but no success even after a couple of reboots. Anyone else had this issue?

Thanks.

Hello @TxarLs,

Which version of MultiBeast did you use?
The latest version of MultiBeast has really just been released (v11.3.0) just an hour ago:
It contains the latest version of Lilu and its plug ins AppleALC and Whatevergreen:

Internal Changes:
- Updated Clover to v2.4k r4934
- Updated Drivers -> Audio -> AppleALC to Lilu v1.3.6 and AppleALC v1.3.8
- Updated Drivers -> USB -> Remove XHCI USB Port Limit for macOS 10.14.5
- Updated Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen to Lilu v1.3.6 and WhateverGreen v1.2.9

I would encourage you to use this version if you haven't done so. Maybe this would already fix all your problem (dont forget to also install Lilu and whatevergreen).

Alternately if you don't want to use MultiBeast you can also install these kext manually here:
  1. Lilu: https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
  2. WEG: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases
  3. AppleALC: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
Just put a copy in /L/E/ folder, but in that case don't forget to rebuild the cache and repair permissions (This is easily done using Kext utility app).
I would also encourage you to have a copy of the latest version of both Lilu and whatevergreen in the Clover/kext/other/ folder.

Finally, what is the method that you use for audio injection? If you still use Clover, I would also encourage to switch to injection through AppleALC. this can be done easily in Clover Configurator.

Last edited:
Hello @TxarLs,

Which version of MultiBeast did you use?
The latest version of MultiBeast has really just been released (v11.3.0) just an hour ago:
It contains the latest version of Lilu and its plug ins AppleALC and Whatevergreen:

Internal Changes:
- Updated Clover to v2.4k r4934
- Updated Drivers -> Audio -> AppleALC to Lilu v1.3.6 and AppleALC v1.3.8
- Updated Drivers -> USB -> Remove XHCI USB Port Limit for macOS 10.14.5
- Updated Customize -> Graphics Configuration -> Core Graphics Fixup AKA WhateverGreen to Lilu v1.3.6 and WhateverGreen v1.2.9

I would encourage you to use this version if you haven't done so. Maybe this would already fix all your problem (dont forget to also install Lilu and whatevergreen).

Alternately if you don't want to use MultiBeast you can also install these kext manually here:
  1. Lilu: https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases
  2. WEG: https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases
  3. AppleALC: https://github.com/acidanthera/AppleALC/releases
Just put a copy in /L/E/ folder, but in that case don't forget to rebuild the cache and repair permissions (This is easily done using Kext utility app).
I would also encourage you to have a copy of the latest version of both Lilu and whatevergreen in the Clover/kext/other/ folder.

Finally, what is the method that you use for audio injection? If you still use Clover, I would also encourage to switch to injection through AppleALC. this can be done easily in Clover Configurator.

Now it works. I did the alternate method, placing Lilu, WEG and AppleALC kexts in the /L/E/ folder and also a copy of Lilu and WEG on the .../Clover/kext/other/ folder. After that, I used Kext Utility app to rebuild cache and repair permissions, Then reboot and everything is back to normal now. Thanks!

Guys, since updating to 10.14.5, I am having long boot ups, especially at the second stage of boot there is a 5 sec wait my computer boots in 55 seconds. Before it was 45 seconds. Also, there are purple lines at the first stage of the boot. What can be done to make it faster ?

One other thing. Once my computer goes to sleep, it only wakes via Bluetooth mouse not my keyboard which it used to do. Do you experience the same thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now it works. I did the alternate method, placing Lilu, WEG and AppleALC kexts in the /L/E/ folder and also a copy of Lilu and WEG on the .../Clover/kext/other/ folder. After that, I used Kext Utility app to rebuild cache and repair permissions, Then reboot and everything is back to normal now. Thanks!

Glad to hear that!
Just 2 things to perfect your configuration, both to be done in Clover Configurator:
  1. As you have kext in the /L/E/ and in .../kext/other/ folders, you might want to have Clover set up as "Detect" not "Inject" in Clover Configurator > System Parameters. By doing so Clover will inject only the kext that are NOT present in /L/E.
  2. For audio injection, according to the guideline, state-of-the art injection is to be be done through AppleALC, not Clover:
see section 5
Method-2 (Device Properties) - Recommended
After installing AppleALC + Lilu reboot and edit your config.plist and set the string value of "Clover/Devices/Audio/Inject" to "No" and define"layout-id"as a custom Device Property. You can now use Hackintool to generate the Audio Device Property code for you by clicking on the Audio icon, you should now see the detected Codec type(s), select the HDA codec by clicking on the line entry, the devices info should now be detailed in the Audio Infobox and a drop down menu where you can select the codec layout you want to use, the drop down menu will only contain the valid layout-id's that are applicable to the detected codec.

Below if a screenshot on how I did it in Clover configurator using Devices > Properties

You will notice that the upper right "Audio" Box is set to No. If set to a certain audio layout (in my case it was 16) then Clover will take care of Audio injection (which is the non recommended Method 1) . 1000000 corresponds to layout id 16.

Hope this helps

Last edited:
Guys, since updating to 10.14.5, I am having long boot ups, especially at the second stage of boot there is a 5 sec wait my computer boots in 55 seconds. Before it was 45 seconds. Also, there are purple lines at the first stage of the boot. What can be done to make it faster ?

One other thing. Once my computer goes to sleep, it only wakes via Bluetooth mouse not my keyboard which it used to do. Do you experience the same thing?

Hello @artooks,

I do also have now purple lines since 10.14.5 upgrade, and it seems to be a common feature as judged by the comments and replies to the official 10.14.5 update thread:
I did not experience the wake problem that you are mentioning, but you might try to delete and re-pair your BT devices in system preferences.

Last edited:
Could you tell me which brand and model of memory is most suitable for the i9 9900k?

Not sure that the i9900K has any RAM specific requirement, unless you want to look for the ultimate performance: highest speed, lowest latencies and highest amount (that indeed seem to be CPU-dependent but I couldnt find any details ) of RAM. I have seen debates about what criteria matters most, some people would privilige speed over quantity, others would prefer the opposite.... overall we are likely talking about max up to 5% increase in performance
  1. 4 x DDR4 DIMM sockets supporting up to 128GB (32GB single DIMM capacity) of system memory**
    ** Please note that the support for system total memory size depends on the CPU installed.
  2. Dual channel memory architecture
  3. Support for DDR4 4266(O.C.) / 4133(O.C.) / 4000(O.C.) / 3866(O.C.) / 3800(O.C.) / 3733(O.C.) / 3666(O.C.) / 3600(O.C.) / 3466(O.C.) / 3400(O.C.) / 3333(O.C.) / 3300(O.C.) / 3200(O.C.) / 3000(O.C.) / 2800(O.C.) / 2666 / 2400 / 2133 MHz memory modules
  4. Support for ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8 memory modules (operate in non-ECC mode)
  5. Support for non-ECC Un-buffered DIMM 1Rx8/2Rx8/1Rx16 memory modules
  6. Support for Extreme Memory Profile (XMP) memory modules
(Please refer "Memory Support List" for more information.)

If this the case you might to use the fastest RAM modules compatible with the Z390M Gaming motherboard. From the Gigabyte website max speed would be 4266 Mhz but not stock, after overclocking (O.C.) meaning that you will likely have to twick the BIOS memory settings to get the expected speed (never did it, I dont know how difficult this is). Fastest speed without O.C is 2666 Mhz. The attached list provide you the certified modules for this board (if not faulty). Plenty of refs that you can pick from

Attachments

• mb_memory_z390-m-gaming_20190415.pdf
    122.3 KB · Views: 139
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back