UK: Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB Hard Drive SATAII 5400rpm.. | Ebuyer.com

60gb OCZ Vertex Plus
US: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=20-227-738
UK: OCZ 60GB Vertex Plus SSD - 2.5" SATA-II - Read.. | Ebuyer.com

White LED Light Strip

Build Notes
  • OS X is installed on the 120gb OCZ Agility 3 SSD
  • One of the 1tb Seagate HDDs is used for OS X storage
  • The second 1tb Seagate HDD is used as a Time Machine backup for the two drives above.
  • I plan on installing Windows to the SSD and using the green drive as storage for that.

Comments:

This has to be one of the easiest Hackintoshes to set up ever! I simply created a USB drive using Unibeast. My 560ti was recognized out of the box and since I am using Mountain Lion I do not need to do any patching to use my Ivy Bridge CPU.

By default the built in audio does not work, You can enable it by following the instructions below.

Firewire shows up in system information but I do not have a device to test this.

USB 3.0:
  • The USB 3.0 header next to the ATX power connector labeled "F_USB30_1" does not work.
  • The USB 3.0 header labeled "F_USB30_2" works fine*
  • I have not tested "F_USB30_3" but from what I can find it should run off of the same controller as "F_USB30_2" so should work
  • The pair of USB 3.0 ports closest to the video connectors on the rear does not work but the other two work fine*
  • I have not made any attempt to try to fix the other USB 3.0 ports but I will let you know as soon as I do.
* I don't have a USB 3.0 device so I cannot comment on the speed so may only run at 2.0 speed

Instructions to enable audio
When first installed the audio did not work. I solved this problem with a Kext and a DSDT file which are both in the ZIP file attached to this post. Simply install the Kext using your preferred method and then place the DSDT in your Extra folder. Once you reboot audio should work.

Note that I did not create the files in the ZIP file rather found them around this forum however I cannot remember where they were from, if these are your files or you know who they belong to, please let me know and I will be happy to link to the original authors.

Note: Audio is produced through the Black/Yellow connectors on the motherboard rather than the green jack. Once I solve this I will update the post. Just be sure to change the audio output to the correct "Line Out" under the "Sound" preferences panel.

Performance
The performance of this hackintosh is amazing, boot up time on the SSD is a matter of seconds and applications launch instantly. Below you can see the 64bit Geekbench scores for this system running at both 3.5GHz (Stock) and 4.3GHz (Overclocked). Note that the speed is always reported as 3.5GHz despite the overclock.

Stock Speed (3.5GHz)
Stock.png

Overclocked (4.3GHz)
43.png

System Information
Specs.png

MultiBeast Configuration for Mountain Lion
Multibeast.png

More Photos (Click to show full size)

I would be very grateful for your comments on this build and I will try to answer any questions that you may have related to this build.

EDIT: Forgot to add the following:
  • I needed to disable Wake-On-LAN as the machine was turning on again after I shut it down.
  • Sleep works but I find the system (Or just keyboard/mouse) to be very slow for around 30 seconds after resuming so I need to wait before I can enter my password.

Attachments

• Audio.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 389
Awesome case. I love that case, I have the Corsair 600t case but thinking of changing it to the 650D :D

Congratulations :)

How about temps?

Thanks,

Temps are okay, I get around 85-87c under Prime 95 when at 4.3GHz, I could probably decrease my voltages too. Not checked idle temps, will do that soon. And I would highly recommend the 650D, I LOVE it!

Puh, pretty high temps for me. My i7-2600 (non K) with @42 multiplier get's max temps of 67°C under Prime95. @42 multi my CPU has 3,9GHz on all cores and 4,2GHz on single threaded usage. My GPU also never goes over 68°C under furmark :)
I have the H100 and not the H60. What I know, our cases are exactly the same from the inside. Only outside is different :)

Great work :thumbup:

Puh, pretty high temps for me. My i7-2600 (non K) with @42 multiplier get's max temps of 67°C under Prime95. @42 multi my CPU has 3,9GHz on all cores and 4,2GHz on single threaded usage. My GPU also never goes over 68°C under furmark :)
I have the H100 and not the H60. What I know, our cases are exactly the same from the inside. Only outside is different :)

Great work :thumbup:

Yeah, IB does run hotter than SB, I am using quite high voltages so will need to lower them, hopefully that will lower the temperatures a bit.

Note that I am talking about the Core temperature and not the CPU temperature. The CPU temperature will always be cooler than the core temperature. Unfortunately I cannot find OSX software that measures the CPU temperature so will need to wait until I install Windows for that.

Great build, looks really tidy.

I have built a Hack to almost the same spec, except I have Radeon 6870HD.

The Mouse and Keyboard being lagged after sleep is due to the unmount of USB devices due to the Overclock. I had the same problem unless I was at stock clocks.

The USB 3 Ports act a little strange, I am finding the USB 3 Header near the Sata Posts becomes USB 3 Only, the Two at the bottom of the board Are both until you run multibeast and then become USB 2 Only. The Rear ones seem to be O.K and I am now presuming the bottom USB 3 ports are also USB 3 Only from what you have reported, I will do a little more investigation in to this tonight.

I am thinking that this problem is also related to the laggy mouse and keyboard and the overclock which a bios update will solve.

Any additional thoughts would be great.

Great build, looks really tidy.

The USB 3 Ports act a little strange, I am finding the USB 3 Header near the Sata Posts becomes USB 3 Only, the Two at the bottom of the board Are both until you run multibeast and then become USB 2 Only. The Rear ones seem to be O.K and I am now presuming the bottom USB 3 ports are also USB 3 Only from what you have reported, I will do a little more investigation in to this tonight.

Any additional thoughts would be great.

I have the same board as you and I just tested all my USB ports; ALL of them. They all work. I believe the trick is to go into your BIOS and change the xHCI Mode from "Smart Auto" to "Auto". I too do not have any 3.0 devices, so I cant verify the speed, but at least all the ports work!

Your build looks amazing!

I am going to be building a very similar build in the next few weeks, which will be my first hackintosh in about 3-4 years. So if you can answer any of my questions I would be really grateful.

Did you install Mountain Lion from nothing, not upgrade from Lion?

If you did the above, did you just use Unibeast - Mountain Lion 1.5.1 to make the bootable USB drive?

I too will be using an ivy bridge processor, am I correct in thinking that using Mountain lion avoids the need to use bridge helper 5 as the new MacBooks are using ivy bridge?

What firmware is your motherboard on?

I'm sorry if any of these questions are a bit noobish, I'm just trying to be back in the swing of things!

Thanks a lot.

I have the same board as you and I just tested all my USB ports; ALL of them. They all work. I believe the trick is to go into your BIOS and change the xHCI Mode from "Smart Auto" to "Auto". I too do not have any 3.0 devices, so I cant verify the speed, but at least all the ports work!

Thanks for the advice, tried the xHCI settings in the BIOS and still the same results, although since I posted my last post have reinstalled ML without using any hint of the DSDT including not ticking the User DSDT option in multibeast without it being on my desktop.

This has sort of fixed the problem, the USB3 Header by the Sata Connection is USB 3 Only, but the header along the bottom now accepts both and they show up correctly in About my Mac.

The Only minor issue is that my Sata info shows up as unknown, and can't run memory at full speed without the USB Unmount at sleep!!!

Thanks.

Bios Settings

I have your twin on my desk. However, I am fighting the BIOS to get it right for the Unibeast 1.5.2 and Multibeast 4.6.1.... Can you share your BIOS settings. The BIOS will take .bmp pictures when you are in it by pressing F12 and having a windows formatted USB thumbdrive in the USB port. It saves them with a BMP format image. I think that this will answer several fundamental questions as I am used to BIOS from the EP45 series and this is really new BIOS setup for me. I successfully built and have used 5 Hackintosh systems from 10.6 on up and this is the first one I have had trouble with.

Thanks in advance,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back