Motherboard
MSI Z97 Gaming 5
CPU
Intel Core i7 4770 3.4GHz
Graphics
Onboard Intel HD 4600
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
This guide is still being overhauled. Some information may be incorrect. Use at your own peril!

How to Install macOS Sierra
on an
MSI Z97 Gaming 5 Motherboard using Clover

MSI.jpg

Prerequisites
1) You must be running OS X Lion 10.7.5 or later
2) Mac computers introduced in late 2009 or later can be upgraded to macOS Sierra
3) Check your Mac hardware
4) If you have OS X Server, you must wait until version 5.2 is available as older versions will not work on macOS Sierra

Overview

1. Configure your BIOS
2. Download The macOS Sierra Application From The Mac App Store
3. Prepare A USB Flash Drive With Installation And Boot Files
4. Install macOS Sierra
5. Install The Bootloader And Drivers To System Drive

STEP 1: Edit BIOS/UEFI Settings
1. To access UEFI Setup, press and hold Delete on a USB Keyboard while the system is booting up
2. Settings - Save & Exit - Restore Defaults.

1.png
3. Overclocking\CPU Features: Disable "Intel VT-D Tech"

2.png
4. Overclocking\CPU Features: Disable "CFG Lock"

3.png
5. Settings\Advanced\Windows 8/8.1 Configuration: Disable "Windows 8/8.1 Feature"

4.png
6. Settings\Boot: Boot mode select "UEFI"

7. Save and exit.

STEP 2: Download macOS Sierra

Download the Application from the Mac App Store using your Apple ID on any Mac or functional computer running Mac OS X 10.6.8 or later.

1. Open Mac App Store
2. Log in with your Apple ID
3. Download macOS Sierra

The Application Install macOS Sierra will appear in /Applications.

STEP 3: Prepare Bootable USB Drive
This step extracts the macOS Installer contents, then installs Clover bootloader to the USB stick.

1. Insert the USB drive
2. Open /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utility

1.png
3. Highlight the USB drive in left column and click "Erase"

2.png
4. Name: USB; Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled); Scheme: GUID Partition Map
5. Click "Erase"

3.png
10. Click "Done" once erasing process has completed and close the Disk Utility

11. Open /Applications/Utilities/Terminal

7.png
12. Type or copy the following, hit enter, enter password (if required) and hit enter. This command completely erases the USB, then creates native macOS installer media from the Install macOS Sierra Application.

Code (Text):
sudo /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app/Contents/Resources/createinstallmedia --volume /Volumes/USB --applicationpath /Applications/Install\ macOS\ Sierra.app --no interaction

Upon completion, the USB will be renamed Install macOS Sierra.

13. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
14. Open Clover package installer
upload_2016-9-10_14-42-2.png
Click "Continue"
Click "Continue"
Click "Change Install Location..."
Click "Install m...S Sierra" And Then Click "Continue"
6.png
Click "Customize"
View attachment 209947

Click The Following And Uncheck Anything Else:
-Under “Bootloader,” Click “Install boot0af in MBR”
-Under “CloverEFI,” Click “CloverEFI 64-bits SATA”
-Under “Drivers64UEFI,” Click “OsxAptioFixDrv-64”
Type In An Administrator's User Name And Password. Then Click "Install Software."
upload_2016-9-10_14-42-32.png
Click "Close"

Download the EFI.zip file below and copy the CLOVER file folder to the EFI root directory. This will copy the config.plist, kexts and a 64 bit UEFI driver to your EFI partition.

STEP 4: Install macOS Sierra
1. Turn Off/On or Reboot the computer
2. Press F11 to choose boot device
3. Choose USB
4. When Clover boot screen is visible, choose Boot macOS Sierra Install from Install macOS Sierra
5. The system will then boot into the macOS Installer
6. For a new installation of macOS, you MUST erase and format the destination drive according to the following steps before continuing. If you are upgrading from Snow Leopard, Lion, or Mountain Lion and you want to keep your files and apps, skip steps a-j.

a. Choose Disk Utility
b. Highlight your target hard drive for the macOS Sierra installation in left column.
c. Click Partition tab
d. Click Current and choose 1 Partition
e. Click Options...
f. Choose GUID Partition Table
g. Under Name: type macOS (You can rename it later)
h. Under Format: choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled)
i. Click Apply then Partition
j. Close Disk Utility

7. When the installer asks you where to install, choose macOS, or your existing install.
8. Upon completion, system will restart a 1st time
9. Press F11 to choose boot device
10. Choose USB
11. When Clover boot screen is visible, choose Boot macOS Sierra Install from macOS Sierra Install. The system will boot into the new drive, create the recovery partition, and complete the installation. Upon completion, system will restart a 2nd time.
12. Upon restart, press F11 to choose boot device
13. When Clover boot screen is visible, choose macOS
14. The system will launch macOS Setup
15. Setup macOS as you wish. DO NOT TURN ON FILEVAULT! YOU WILL HAVE TO RESTART THIS WHOLE PROCESS!

STEP 4: Post-Installation
At this point, the easiest way to proceed is to install the bootloader, grab backups from the root of your USB drive, and copy the files that worked directly to the system drive's EFI partition. However, getting post-installation 100% right for your system is something that needs to be done on a case by case basis. No single Clover setup will work perfectly for every system.

1. Download the latest version of Clover from sourceforge
2. Open Clover package installer
3. Click "Continue"
4. Click "Continue"
5. Click "Change Install Location..."
5.png
6.Click "macOS" And Then Click "Continue"
7. Click "Customize"
4.png
8. Click The Following And Uncheck Anything Else:
-"Install for UEFI booting only"
-"Install Clover in the ESP"
-Under “Drivers64UEFI,” Click “OsxAptioFixDrv-64”
9. Type In An Administrator's User Name And Password. Then Click "Install Software."
upload_2016-9-10_14-42-32.png
10. Click "Close"
11. Download the EFI.zip file below and copy the CLOVER file folder to the EFI root directory. This will copy the config.plist, kexts and a 64 bit UEFI driver to your EFI partition.

12. Restart the computer.

If all was installed properly, you should now have a fully functioning Hackintosh with macOS Sierra. If you have an MSI Z97 Gaming 5 motherboard, but are having issues, please comment below for help.

Info & Screenshot:

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 4,212
  • Displays.png
    Displays.png
    57.7 KB · Views: 2,796
  • Memory.png
    Memory.png
    64.5 KB · Views: 2,741
  • Overview.png
    Overview.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 2,767
  • Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 10.04.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 10.04.37 PM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 2,906
  • Storage.png
    Storage.png
    83.5 KB · Views: 2,455
Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thank you for your hard work!

I just want to add that for people having root device errors, use USB 2 :D

Edit,

I just want to ask which audio ID did you use? I know 1 works fore sure, but i have no idea what they are for exactly, i read a guide on them a long time ago, but i cant seem to find it now.

Last edited:
I followed your steps. And I have separate hard disk for El Capitan and Yosemite OS with clover 3333.

I have managed to create USB flash drive but it wont boot to flash drive. Currently, I am on ElCapitan with clover 3333(not sure).

ALso, I am confused with this step. "Download the EFI.zip file below and copy the CLOVER file folder to the EFI root directory. This will copy the config.plist, kexts and a 64 bit UEFI driver to your EFI partition."

Do I have to replace my Clover folder with this or merge? Or do I have to keep this on root of flash drive?

I tried using my previous clover version and in that I get option "Install Mac OS..." and when I select that option I get apple logo and it goes till almost 90% bar and gets stuck.

Any idea.

Hey there,

I have an extremely similar build, and I'm currently having issues with 2 things;
1. The 2 USB 3 ports on the front of the case only pick up USB 2 drives, (FIXED WITH LATEST 10.12 USB PATCH)
2. If I boot using (get the BIOS screen on) my main DisplayPort monitor, then my secondary (DVI) monitor will stay black and my DP monitor will lose signal. If it gets the BIOS and bootloader screen on the DVI monitor, OSX boots fine, and I get displays correctly.

Do you get either of these issues?

Running latest Clover.

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
rogue

Last edited:
Did you manage to get wifi or bluetooth working? Have same combo but When I try to configure wifi (for an dw-160 usb stick) the wifi option in network assist is grayed out..

Does ibooks display open books properly on your build?

Does ibooks display open books properly on your build?
Problem with ibooks is related to nvidia web drivers on Sierra. I have also this issue on MSI Z97 Gaming 6 and MSI Nvidia GTX 960. When you switch to native nvidia driver ibooks display is back to normal.

Do you have problems with sound or did you tried to enable 5.1 sound?
I have Logitech 5.1 speakers connected to mobo rear panel but volume sound from front speakars from line output is very low. When I switch to second line output sound from rear speakers is normal. I tried to create Aggregate Device in Audio/MIDI Setup to achieve 5.1 sound but it does not work as it should. When i test speakers in Midi Multichanel tab it seams that all speakers works despite low volume from front speakers. But when I apply changes I hear only very low sound from front speakers. Is there any way to correct this? I was using this: https://github.com/toleda/audio_CloverALC to enable sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back