Contribute
Register

[Success] iDell XPS 8300 *Mavericks 10.9*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell XPS 8300
CPU
i7 > Need full CPU model number > See Rules!
Graphics
ATI > Need model name > See Rules!
Hey guys, I'm finally able to make my guide on installing Mavericks on the Dell XPS 8300. I've been running Mavericks since its first Developer Preview and it runs flawlessly on the XPS system. I've been running OS X on the XPS system since Lion, following the tutelage of Gravewyrm and here's a link to his guide if you guys wanna run Lion: http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...ess-project-idell-xps-8300-lion-10-7-3-a.html. I made my own guide for ML and here's the link to that if you wish to install ML: http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ss-idell-xps-8300-mountain-lion-10-8-2-a.html Both of the older OSes work great, but after running Mavericks I believe this OS is best tailored for the XPS 8300.

There are three ways of installing Mavericks on your XPS system, and I have done it all three ways and it runs at about 99.9%. The only issue I'm facing is when uploading large amounts the internet times out. I believe this is a common issue with the BCM5722D kext, but it really doesn't hinder the experience unless you t*****t a lot. If anyone does have a better solution for the ethernet please message me so we can get this issue out of the way. Other than that everything works great. Wifi finally works for the XPS 8300, so there's no need to go out and buy a new card, and sleep works flawlessly.

Method Number 1: (Upgrade from Mountain Lion)
If you have followed my old guide on installing ML all you have to do is use Unibeast Mavericks Edition to create a bootable USB stick. Follow Tony's guide if you want to know what exactly you have to do in order to create the bootable USB.

Once you have created the bootable USB enter your BIOS and hit the F12 key to get into the boot selection menu. Enter "Setup" and make sure your Hard Drive mode is set to AHCI. Save and exit. Now when booting up the PC again hit the F12 key, and boot from the USB stick and select your installer. Since you already have ML installed (again remember to follow my old guide to the letter), all you have to do is continue, agree and select your target disk (the one you already have ML on) and proceed with the installation.

One the installation is complete it will restart the computer and again you will have to hit the F12 key and boot into the USB. This time select the ML Installed drive. Now all your files should be safe and you have updated to ML without any hassle.

The last step is to install Chimera and select the Mavericks partition and you are done. Use DiskUtility to verify the permissions and reboot the system. Everything should be working fine and you have a newly upgraded Mavericks system with everything working and no need to install additional kexts!

I've gone through the process twice and sometimes it seems as if the sound/wifi isn't working. Simply download the attachment on the bottom of this thread and you shall see 4 files files:

HDAEnabler88b.kext
AppleHDA.kext
I08211Family.kext
Kextbeast

Extract these files onto a folder on your desktop. The first thing you'll want to install is Wifi, so first you'll have to remove the old I08211Family.kext. Go into System -> Library -> Extensions, find the I08211Family.kext and delete it. Once the file has been deleted, drag the new I08211Family.kext & Kextbeast onto your desktop. Run Kextbeast and the kext shall install. Open up Disk Utility and repair permissions. Reboot the system and you'll see that your Wifi card is enabled. Move the I08211Family.kext to the trash and follow the same steps for the other two kexts.

Viola! There you have it, all your files untouched from your previous installation but now rocking the newest OS.

Method 2: (Mavericks Clean Installation - Beta)
As I mentioned above, I've been running Mavericks since the first beta and it runs perfectly. The only difference between this installation process and the next one is the file used. If you are using the beta of Mavericks you'll have to update it 8 times to get to the GM version. For Mavericks there are two GM versions 13A598 and 13A603, using the beta will get you to 13A598. It runs perfectly and I can't really see the difference between the two versions, but the version number is older so probably some minor bugs have been patched. Nonetheless it is a GM so you know it has all the features and capabilities that Mavericks is meant to have.

If you want to completely wipe the system and have a fresh installation of Mavericks the process is slightly different as it is mandatory to install the kexts. Again you must create a bootable USB via Unibeast Mavericks Edition, and to find out how to do that follow Tony's guide.

The installation process is the same as an upgrade, once you have created the bootable USB enter your BIOS and hit the F12 key to get into the boot selection menu. Enter "Setup" and make sure your Hard Drive mode is set to AHCI. Save and exit. Now when booting up the PC again hit the F12 key, and boot from the USB stick and select your installer.

Now if you want to wipe your existing OS go to the menu bar, and select Disk Utility. Erase the partition. If you already had Lion installed there is no need to set the table as GUID and format the partition as OS X Extended (Journaled), but if you are installing it on a new HDD make sure the set the table as GUID and format the partition as OS X Extended (Journaled). Once the drive is erased/formatted close Disk Utility and go through with the installation. Once the installation is complete it will reboot the system and hit F12 again, select the USB stick but this time boot into the drive you install Mavericks onto.

So here is where the major difference comes in. You will need the files I have attached to complete the installation and make the system run smoothly.

Download the attachment on the bottom of this thread and you shall see 4 files files:

HDAEnabler88b.kext
AppleHDA.kext
I08211Family.kext
Kextbeast

Due to Maverick's new feature you can't install any apps that are not from the AppStore unless you change the settings. So go into the Settings App, enter Security & Privacy. Under the General Tab you'll see a couple options on the bottom. Click the lock button and change the setting to install apps from anywhere and lock the option.

The first one you have to run is MultiBeast. Tick the same options as shown in the screenshot below. I had not installed Multibeast when I first ran the OS but my friend on the ML guide, kawayuppie, suggested the following:

Extract these files onto a folder on your desktop. The first thing you'll want to install is Wifi, so first you'll have to remove the old I08211Family.kext. Go into System -> Library -> Extensions, find the I08211Family.kext and delete it. Once the file has been deleted, drag the new I08211Family.kext & Kextbeast onto your desktop. Run Kextbeast and the kext shall install. Open up Disk Utility and repair permissions. Reboot the system and you'll see that your Wifi card is enabled. Move the I08211Family.kext to the trash and follow the same steps for the other two kexts.

When the system has rebooted and you are on the desktop install Chimera and reboot. There you have it your own iDell.

You may wish to refrain from installing the sound kexts right away as you'll need to install the kexts over again each time you update. So its recommended that you install the Wifi kext go into the App Store and update. There seems to be no combo update so you'll have to go from DP1 all the way to the GM which is about 8 updates I believe. Therefore I suggest you only install the sound kexts when you are finally on the GM version of Mavericks.

Method 3: (Clean Installation App Store)
These steps are exactly the same as the ones above. The only difference is you'll be running Mavericks GM version 13A603 and there is no need to go to the App Store and update. So simply follow the steps above and you shall have a perfect system.

Mavericks is really a great OS and it runs beautifully on our XPS 8300. Give it a try and you wont be disappointed. Reply to the thread if you're having any issues and I'll update the guide accordingly. Enjoy your iDell!

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need NullCPUPowerManagement or patched AppleIntelCPU? I don't see the picture though:banghead:

First off, thank you SO MUCH for making these guides. I have been checking this thread for every upgrade since Mountain Lion and your info has been more than amazing. On that note, I don't see the attachment files that are supposed to be at the bottom of the thread..

Hi

I did install successfully os x 10.9 Mavericks on my Dell Inspiron 620 Desktop
everything works fine except the audio
even i did used Mulitbeast for Mavericks but still have no sound
i think its problem with sound drivers and i cant figure out which one will suite best for my inspiron 620 desktop.
Kindly plz help and suggest me which driver to use for hackintosh on dell inspiron 620 :)

Could you please upload the attachment again as i am not getting them any where ?

HDAEnabler88b.kext
AppleHDA.kext
I08211Family.kext
Kextbeast

Please upload these files again !!!

Where can we get those attachments? They aren't available for download here in your post!

I've been having some issues with Ethernet connectivity. I have no Wireless card as i've never needed it (my Dell is next to the router) but I can't seem to get the ethernet connection working.

Installation goes smoothly, I get to the desktop and everything looks fine. When I get there, I run Multibeast and use KextBeast to install BCM5722D.

My problem is i've not had much experience with Mac OS so I don't fully understand what i'm doing really, i'm just following the guides. I'm sure i'm either missing out something very basic that i'm not aware of or i'm installing the wrong Kext. Could somebody help me please??

I've done my Mavericks on Dell XPS 8300 too. Just now stuck on Wifi . Everything is done, except wifi. So where did you get that I08211Family.kext for XPS 8300 ? Please share

Mavericks 10.9
MacDell XPS 8300

Razmal

I've done my Mavericks on Dell XPS 8300 too. Just now stuck on Wifi . Everything is done, except wifi. So where did you get that I08211Family.kext for XPS 8300 ? Please share

Razmal

Hi Razmal,

The IO8211Family.kext should already be there as it is part of the OS X install, /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext. I am running Mavericks on my XPX 8300 without troubles, but I had upgraded from 10.8.x. not sure if that matters.

To get wifi working, I had to replace the Dell DW1520 wlan micro card and replace it with a Dell DW1510 bought on eBay which works out of the box as an AirPort card.

Now, I see that the following software extensions are used by wifi networking;

Software Versions:
CoreWLAN: 4.0 (400.45.1)
CoreWLANKit: 3.0 (300.35)
Menu Extra: 9.0 (900.34)
System Information: 9.0 (900.8)
IO80211 Family: 6.0 (600.34)
Diagnostics: 3.0 (300.37)
AirPort Utility: 6.3.2 (632.3)

so it is possible that SA5UK3 might have been using a hacked version of IO80211 Family kext?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back