Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Thanks to Gravewyrm and SA5UK3 for their excellent guides .

http://www.tonymacx86.com/lion-desk...-project-idell-xps-8300-lion-10-7-3-a-35.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mountain-...ss-idell-xps-8300-mountain-lion-10-8-2-a.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-success-idell-xps-8300-mavericks-10-9-a.html

Here is my experience installing a fresh copy of

* OS X Mavericks 10.9 on a Dell XPS 8300 *

My setup before installation.
2 Hard Drive one on SATA0, the other on SATA2.
(8300 has 4 SATA ports, first two SATA0 and SATA 1 are the faster ones 6gb/s)
For this install, I put a brand new SSD on SATA port 1.

What I prepared:

2 USB Keys, one 16gb for OS, one 4 gb for tools
(but you actually could just use one, copy all the tools onto the OS key if you have space left.)

software
OSX Mavericks Installer (download from Apple Appstore)
Mutibeast-Mavericks-Edition-6.zip (from download section of this website)
KextBeast.zip (from download section of this website).
Chimera 2.2.1 (from download section of this website).
BCM5722D.kext

(download from http://www.osx86.net/files/file/916-bcm5722d-kext/)

first, use UniBeast to create the bootable USB stick.

Enter BIOS at boot up, spam the F12 button to get to the boot selection screen.
Instead of choosing a boot drive, enter SetUp. Make sure your Hard Drive mode is
set to AHCI. F10 to save and exit

at the boot screen, Press the F12 button again, this time, booting from
USB stick with the Mavericks Installer on it

Boot into the installer.Select language, At the actual installer screen,
go to the menu bar, and select disk utility.

Set the target drive which is the SSD that I want to install OS X to, as a single partition, set the
table to GUID, and format it in OS X Extended (Journeled).Once the utility has completed
its task, close it, and continue with the install to the formatted SSD drive.

Install takes about 15 minute

Once the installer is done, it will re-boot. Let it count down on its own, and once
it re-boots, press F12 again to get to the boot options.

Select the USB stick. At the boot loader, select your freshly installed Mavericks install.

Plug the second USB stick in, and copy all the software to a folder on the OSX desktop,

(here might be an optional step to manually remove AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext due to KernalPanicks. It happened to me at reboot after multibeast, I had to use -v at boot screen to find out what happened.)
Optional: open the finder, go to S/L/E (System/Library/Extension,remove the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient.kext, or in terminal, run "mv AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient.kext to AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient.kext.bak")

Run MultiBeast,having these options checked:
Quickstart>DSDT Free
Audio>without DSDT>AC887 current

build and reboot

Once MultiBeast has done its thing, you can eject the Bootable USB stick, and do a re-boot
Let it boot as normal, and you should be back to your desktop.

Now need to fix the ethernet, put KextBeast and BCM5722D.kext on the desktop,
Run KextBeast and it will install the networking kext. Repair permissions, and reboot.
(Note: I did not have to use the IONetworkingfamily.kext as mentioned in the other guide, the BCM5722D.kext is the only one I use KextBeast to install, I assume it is because the latest MultiBeast and Mavericks already take care of most of drivers.)

Drag Chimera to the desktop. Run it,
and re-boot.

I had to go to BIOS to change the boot sequence to set SSD as the first boot device so I can use
Chimera as bootloader (to boot into OSX and windows 7)

After reboot, both ethernet and sound work fine, sleep/awake also works without any isse,and the SSD made OSX lightning fast. It is quite amazing.

Last edited:
BTW: two Bluetooth devices, one mouse, one headset work fine without me doing any work.

I would love to get mavericks running on my XPS 8300… i'm having 1 issue though. (first i reset the bios to defaults then the drives to AHCI)

1: stick boots ok, menu appears, i press enter…
2: installer starts booting… no errors there
3: the next screen that appears is the choose your language one… instead of appearing the system goes into an awake sleep mode (sounds weird i know)… screen goes blank, pc does nothing, goes to sleep after 15 minutes… when i power it back on its at the same state it was in before.

I assumed that it might be the fact that i'm using aPCI-express graphics card rather than the on board one so i removed it, connected the on board one instead. same problem still exists. another graphics card, same problem. (all nvidia) and i know the card is ok since i replaced the one in my other HT box (which is on gigabyte hardware) and put the 1 from that box into the XPS box and still the same issue. I know all the hardware is ok, if it wasnt then linux or win7 wouldn't install at all....

I did follow the steps above so… anyone have any thoughts?

My 8300 comes with ATI Radeon HD 5000,

If I have to venture a guess, maybe it is the power management? Have you tried removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient.kext?

I would love to get mavericks running on my XPS 8300… i'm having 1 issue though. (first i reset the bios to defaults then the drives to AHCI)

3: the next screen that appears is the choose your language one… instead of appearing the system goes into an awake sleep mode (sounds weird i know)… screen goes blank, pc does nothing, goes to sleep after 15 minutes… when i power it back on its at the same state it was in before.

I assumed that it might be the fact that i'm using aPCI-express graphics card rather than the on board one so i removed it, connected the on board one instead. same problem still exists. another graphics card, same problem. (all nvidia) and i know the card is ok since i replaced the one in my other HT box (which is on gigabyte hardware) and put the 1 from that box into the XPS box and still the same issue. I know all the hardware is ok, if it wasnt then linux or win7 wouldn't install at all....

I swapped out my default ati card for a silent nvidia gt630 and you need to is add GraphicsEnabler=Yes for every boot. When you run multibeast, Tich that option there as well and you should be good to go.

Another pitfall that got me was trying to set up an internet connection first boot just sent the welcome screen round in circles.

My problem now is that kernel panic. I have it, but don't know how to do what you suggested without being in Mac os. Tried it with -x and still can't there :( UPDATE - Bit of google and i'm here and running,.

Finally, after getting frustrated with the Broadcom kext, it turns out there's a new updated one for Mavericks which should stop the lag when the card is being used constantly. It was stuttering when I was streaming files from my media server. Literally about to reboot now, so fingers crossed :

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/files/file/79-bcm5722d/

In some further work into my Hackintosh, after removing AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement... I think it's lost control of the fans. My Mainboard Proximity sensor in HWMonitor is idling around 72 degrees, cores around 43 degrees. Under stress test, the mainboard temp went over 90 so I stopped it. This must have something to do with removing that CPU kext. Is there any way of possibly getting that working again!!?! I'm paranoid my motherboard is going to melt!!!

I always get the AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient panic on boot.
My only option is to use -x or -f
I also tried the Null kext without access, also used patched AppleIntelCPUPowerManagermentClient. Nothing works. It's frustrating.

I don't mind using -f or -x for kernel panic, but is it bad to skip system caches or be in safe boot?
Sorry for the noob questions but I'm first timer.

Hey, I just deleted that kext as explained above. My earlier panic about the Motherboard Proximity sensor must be a misreading... when i stress test it hits 99degrees (must be the limit) but the computer did not shut down. Pretty sure they're smart enough to shut themselves down when they get too hot, and my CPU cores are way within their limits.

I re-did MultiBeast with the nullCPU kext as well, not sure if it made a difference, but it did not break my boot. If you wanna be a true friend, redo Multibeast and add HWMonitor, and tell me what your Mainboard Proximity temp is? Thanks :D

see image. nice.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 02.50.04.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-01-25 at 02.50.04.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 810
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back