Contribute
Register

[success] i7-860/P55 OC @ 3.8GHz (UPDATED)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-P55-USB3 rev2.0
CPU
i7-860 @ 3.36
Graphics
Gigabyte GTX 670
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
OK here are my OC details (3.465 Ghz) (3.8 Ghz):

NOTE: My rams stock are DDR3-1600 / 1.65v so i didn't overclocked it a lot, see what's is the best for your rams. Also I DON'T RECOMMEND anyone to just copy/paste this settings into his bios, Use my settings just as a reference and you SHOULD follow the famous 3-steps guide and see if you will reach these OC, better or lower depending on your components.
Finally, DO IT ON YOUR OWN RISK AND ONLY IF YOU KNOW WHAT YOU DO, I read a lot before doing that.

Settings:

BCLK: 165 200
CPU Ratio: 21 19 (3.8 Ghz)
QPI Ratio: x36 x32
Memory Multiplier: 8 (DDR3-1600)
PCI freq.: 100
Spread Spectrum: Disabled
Load Line Calibration (L.L.C.): Disabled
vCore: Normal
DVID: +0.025v +0.19375v
vtt voltage: Normal 1.310v
Dram voltage: 1.66v
Turbo Boost: Disabled
ALL other cpu/power saving settings: Enabled

Benchmarks before/after OC:

in my sig

Temps:
Idle: ~29c
Load: ~59c ~68c
Avg.: ~42c ~43c
Ambient:~ 22c
CPU cooling: Air cooling - Zalman CNPS 10X Performa

Some general advices for better temps:
? Be sure that you managed the cables as best as you can. Good cable management equals good air flow.
? Study your case cooling vents, put a plan for the air flow (intake/exhaust) using enough fans, there is even quite silent fans for silent-mad people.
? Try to optimize your OC and remove any unnecessary volts that doesn't affect your OC stability and raise your temps.
? Use Dynamic vcore voltage (DVID) instead of fixed, if your mobo support this.
? If (Load Line calibration) disabling doesn't affect your OC stability, It may reduces heat produced by the CPU.
? Apply the thermal grease correctly (there is several methods. Google...)
? Use a good aftermarket CPU cooler (Air, water...etc), search, read reviews and take your decision.

Attachments

• IMG_0808.JPG
    IMG_0808.JPG
    392.4 KB · Views: 718
  • Screen shot 2011-04-05 at 6.53.24 AM.png
    Screen shot 2011-04-05 at 6.53.24 AM.png
    259.8 KB · Views: 561
Re: [success] i7-860 OC @ 3.47

I'm testing your settings in my rig now, so far so good. I'm currently rendering something and it's stable at @70º max. I've changed a few things for now but will test further for stability:

Settings:
BCLK: 165
CPU Ratio: 21 (3.465 Ghz)
QPI Ratio: x36
Memory Multiplier: 8 (DDR3-1650) (will test at 10 later)
Spread Spectrum: Disabled (¿?)
Load Line Calibration (L.L.C.): Enabled (you should enable it as well)
DVID: +0.0125v (if I use 0.025 my temp gets very high and it's stable like this)
vtt voltage: Auto
ALL other cpu/power settings: Enabled

Temps:
Idle: ~39c (~29c heatsink)
Load: ~70c (~62c heatsink)
Ambient:~ 24c
CPU cooling: Air cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus

eMatoS said:
I'm testing your settings in my rig now, so far so good. I'm currently rendering something and it's stable at @70º max. I've changed a few things for now but will test further for stability:

Settings:
BCLK: 165
CPU Ratio: 21 (3.465 Ghz)
QPI Ratio: x36
Memory Multiplier: 8 (DDR3-1650) (will test at 10 later)
Spread Spectrum: Disabled (¿?)
Load Line Calibration (L.L.C.): Enabled (you should enable it as well)
DVID: +0.0125v (if I use 0.025 my temp gets very high and it's stable like this)
vtt voltage: Auto
ALL other cpu/power settings: Enabled

Temps:
Idle: ~39c (~29c heatsink)
Load: ~70c (~62c heatsink)
Ambient:~ 24c
CPU cooling: Air cooling - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Looks like I got a good deal when I bought the Zalman 10X performa instead of the Hyper 212 plus ;)

Anyway you shoud stuck with the setting that gives you the best stability and temps, but do you stress test your CPU or just test it with regular uses even if heavy uses?

Spread Spectrum - I struggled here and there to find this :crazy: here is how:
- When you enter the bios, in the home screen press (Ctrl + F1), you may notice that the screen flashes once.
- Go to the advanced frequencies section and you will find the Spread Spectrum option appears.
- Disable it if it's enabled.

L.L.C. - some people said (disable it) and some said (enable it), I read about it and tried the both options, it disable the vdrop technology that care about limiting the CPU voltage to not damage it, overclockers like to enable it so they can boost the power of their CPUs by increasing the voltage to get better CPU stability. BUT this is true when you are seeking for an extreme overclock (+4 GHz). In my case, it's a mild overclock and we rarely need extra voltage to get or CPU stable. So as long as I found my CPU stable with L.L.C. disabled, it's better I think. I also noticed drop in temps after disabling it. Try and see if this makes you lose any benefits.

Finally, you should care about the actual temps not the heatsink temps I think. Be sure to stress test your OC under windows usuing IntelBurnTest or prime95, and keep your eyes on temps using RealTemp. Google is your friend :thumbup:

I've tested with prime and RealTemp but was passing heatsink temps as well, just for the record. With prime after @20min it was 75-80º, so I'm in the safe zone for now, but I'm suspecting that my cooler may not be correctly seated (got to find the time to reseat it) Anyway, I'm not done with this, I barely started tunning things, I was following the 3 steps guide but I haven't found the time to continue testing. Will try disabling LLC as you mentioned to see if my temps drop as yours, hope so.

I Updated the first post with some new info/pic, and I will keep it updated as much as possible.

Keep testing until you get better temps. Also note that you may need to increase the DVID a little (maybe as min) after you disable L.L.C., see how the temps will going on.

karacho said:
Wooow, 4GHz. I tried that also, but I don't know why I prefer to be in the safe side, I just wasn't comfortable with such high vcore voltage. But don't you think leaving vtt voltage on auto is not good idea?

The funniest part is I'm trying now to reduce the BCLK to160 and get 3.36 GHz and the ram at stock speed on all voltages at stock values. Full load temps now around 54c and I still get around 11250 in Geekbench. Not bad, what do you think?

Nice found :thumbup:

Okay... i think I have some new results in my bag: 3.8 GHz :headbang:

updating the first post

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back