Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 Yosemite 10.10.x [Full Temp Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

It is hard for me to compare the CPU temp in Win7 and MacOS X. The reason for this is that the tools that I have use shows a lot of information for the CPU and for me is hard to find the same "variable" that the tools are showing. You can check the two images I have just captured after a 10 min idle in Win 7 and the rebooting to Mac OS X. Let me describe my config so you have an idea of the setup.

I use Corsair H105 as a CPU cooler. It is a very good closed water cooler kit but there is one "issue with it". The size of the radiator. It is very tick. Because of this I am with Fractal Design XL R2 case and even in it, H105 fits "very hard" (I have only 1 mm clearance between the MB and the fans).
The ambient temperature is about 22 - 23 C. Inside the case there are: 2 front fans (14 + 12 cm), one bottom fan (14 cm), one side fan (12 cm), one back fan (14 cm) and the two top fans from the H105 (2 x 12 cm). In addition to this I put one extra fan on top of my Corsair RM 1000 PSU (very bad choice for PSU but I found it after I bought it... in addition to the bad technical specs of the PSU the biggest issue is that the PSU fan does not spin until it gets too hot. Because of this I put one extra fan - 12 cm. on top of the PSU fan to create some air flow).

I am not a fan of the water cooling (the idea to have water close to may precious hardware scares me). But the CPU is 140W TDP. So I "migrated" from the classical CPU cooling to this "new area for me". Personally I do not recommend you to overlock the CPU without water cooling CPU block. If the CPU is not heavy loaded then it is fine to use "regular" cooler but in this case what is the point of overclocking? If the CPU is heavy loaded then with 1.3 V on the CPU vCore this 140W CPU will become something like 180-190W monster. On top of this higher voltage means more pressure for the VRM on the MB. In my case the water cooling block "removes" the air flow near the VRM and I have to use some addition active cooling for the VRM (in your case the regular cooler creates some air flow near the MB CPU VRMs).

In 99% of the cases when people overclock the CPU they fix the vCore to some value - this gives a better CPU stability (because the CPU is constantly supplied with all the power it may need). I do not like the idea that when the CPU is idle to be under constant voltage pressure (maybe I am wrong and there is no problem with that). If one day I clock my CPU to some thing around 4 Ghz I definitely will use "vCore Offset approach" - it is more risky to be configured but once it is done I will have "low voltage for the CPU when not under load".

I am sure that IF (personal I have some doubts about 5820k support - Intel 14 nm CPUs are coming this year) Apple supports the x99 and 5820k CPU into the MacOS X then we may see "low CPU voltage on the CPU when not loaded" (but only if you do not fix the vCore to some value from BIOS). I am not 100% sure that even now the vCore voltage is constantly up. The reading from the HW Monitor are pretty much messed up in terms of voltages.

I am trying to find a way to apply all Win 7 hot fixes at once but currently I can not find a way to do so. Is there such option of I will have to with for the auto update to do its work?

Attachments

• t2.tiff
    285.6 KB · Views: 137
  • t1.png
    t1.png
    709.7 KB · Views: 449
Hi

It is hard for me to compare the CPU temp in Win7 and MacOS X. The reason for this is that the tools that I have use shows a lot of information for the CPU and for me is hard to find the same "variable" that the tools are showing. You can check the two images I have just captured after a 10 min idle in Win 7 and the rebooting to Mac OS X. Let me describe my config so you have an idea of the setup.

I use Corsair H105 as a CPU cooler. It is a very good closed water cooler kit but there is one "issue with it". The size of the radiator. It is very tick. Because of this I am with Fractal Design XL R2 case and even in it, H105 fits "very hard" (I have only 1 mm clearance between the MB and the fans).
The ambient temperature is about 22 - 23 C. Inside the case there are: 2 front fans (14 + 12 cm), one bottom fan (14 cm), one side fan (12 cm), one back fan (14 cm) and the two top fans from the H105 (2 x 12 cm). In addition to this I put one extra fan on top of my Corsair RM 1000 PSU (very bad choice for PSU but I found it after I bought it... in addition to the bad technical specs of the PSU the biggest issue is that the PSU fan does not spin until it gets too hot. Because of this I put one extra fan - 12 cm. on top of the PSU fan to create some air flow).

I am not a fan of the water cooling (the idea to have water close to may precious hardware scares me). But the CPU is 140W TDP. So I "migrated" from the classical CPU cooling to this "new area for me". Personally I do not recommend you to overlock the CPU without water cooling CPU block. If the CPU is not heavy loaded then it is fine to use "regular" cooler but in this case what is the point of overclocking? If the CPU is heavy loaded then with 1.3 V on the CPU vCore this 140W CPU will become something like 180-190W monster. On top of this higher voltage means more pressure for the VRM on the MB. In my case the water cooling block "removes" the air flow near the VRM and I have to use some addition active cooling for the VRM (in your case the regular cooler creates some air flow near the MB CPU VRMs).

In 99% of the cases when people overclock the CPU they fix the vCore to some value - this gives a better CPU stability (because the CPU is constantly supplied with all the power it may need). I do not like the idea that when the CPU is idle to be under constant voltage pressure (maybe I am wrong and there is no problem with that). If one day I clock my CPU to some thing around 4 Ghz I definitely will use "vCore Offset approach" - it is more risky to be configured but once it is done I will have "low voltage for the CPU when not under load".

I am sure that IF (personal I have some doubts about 5820k support - Intel 14 nm CPUs are coming this year) Apple supports the x99 and 5820k CPU into the MacOS X then we may see "low CPU voltage on the CPU when not loaded" (but only if you do not fix the vCore to some value from BIOS). I am not 100% sure that even now the vCore voltage is constantly up. The reading from the HW Monitor are pretty much messed up in terms of voltages.

I am trying to find a way to apply all Win 7 hot fixes at once but currently I can not find a way to do so. Is there such option of I will have to with for the auto update to do its work?

Wow. those are great temps! I understand what you are saying. My temps are no where near that low. I bought a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for air cooling. I have seen charts that show this cooler performs nearly as good as water cooling (at toms hardware) but now in a real world situation I see Water cooling is far better. My temps are higher than that, and a lot higher with overclock. My temps are ok in windows on overclock, but in mac this system runs hot. Only reason I didn't water cool is because of the risk of a leak, and i hear you have to change the water seems like a lot of work. I have never overclocked or used large heatsinks or anything like this before, so I didn't want to jump into water cooling before air cooling

finally here are the photo's from my system with overclock / xmp profile 2 and without overclock. and in windows overclocked xmp profile 2.

Attachments

• cpu temps mac no oc copy.png
    cpu temps mac no oc copy.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 1,215
  • cpu temps mac oc copy.png
    cpu temps mac oc copy.png
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,235
  • cputempswin copy.png
    cputempswin copy.png
    143.7 KB · Views: 358
Hi

38C for the CPU package in idle when the CPU is overclocked to 4.3 looks fine for me. I suspect that if I overclock mine to the same speed the temp will be almost the same even with the water cooler (I run the same app in win 7 and my temps is someting about 32 on stock speed). It is more interesting to see the temps when the CPU is under load. In this case the difference between the Air and the Water cooler will be more significant. It is strange that the MAC OS reports much high temps... Lets hope Apple to include native support for x99 and 5820k.

Nice idle speed temps. I'm running the 5820k at 4.1 with idle temps around 32-34 Celsius. With a new h100i gtx with push/pull setup. I didn't apply all the windows 7 updates. Did that make a difference what the temps are reading ?

Hi

38C for the CPU package in idle when the CPU is overclocked to 4.3 looks fine for me. I suspect that if I overclock mine to the same speed the temp will be almost the same even with the water cooler (I run the same app in win 7 and my temps is someting about 32 on stock speed). It is more interesting to see the temps when the CPU is under load. In this case the difference between the Air and the Water cooler will be more significant. It is strange that the MAC OS reports much high temps... Lets hope Apple to include native support for x99 and 5820k.

Thanks for the reply. I can't wait until native support comes out! I am super happy with this system now, except the temps in OSX. So i'm hoping native support fixes that. Honestly this computer is so smooth now it's like a dream, all this information on Tonymac and talking to people like you is a big help!

Funny thing is, in the bios CPU temp says 32 Celcius, I stay in bios for over 5 min and that temp doesn't budge at all. Soon as i boot into windows it's telling me it's 38 Celcius. I'm more inclined to believe the bios. Maybe the temps in windows / OSX are somewhat exaggerated? how can it shoot up that fast? Either Way i just set my CPU fan to run full speed at all times now. I don't mind the extra noise actually. Gives me peace of mind knowing this thing will run cool. Summer is coming up and hot weather can mean burned out computer parts and I'm known to push my computer to the limit doing multimedia work.

Nice idle speed temps. I'm running the 5820k at 4.1 with idle temps around 32-34 Celsius. With a new h100i gtx with push/pull setup. I didn't apply all the windows 7 updates. Did that make a difference what the temps are reading ?

Thanks for the reply! The updates don't make a difference on temps I think. But they definetly make a difference in overall stability. System seemed a little sluggish before all updates were applied and my geekbench scores were lower, I could tell that Windows wasn't optimized correctly for X99. When I tried to download the updates from Windows update computer would freeze so I knew something wasn't right. Sunman says that his mouse lags in Windows 7 when XHCI is set to manual (before updates). Now that I am updated I not having that problem. There are a few critical X99 updates in there that every windows 7 user should have if running Haswell E. System runs fine now in windows 7 with updates applied. I got a few blue screens early on, even after updates, when using DS3 tool to connect PS3 controller to computer. Switch XHCI Hand off to disabled that seems to fix it though. USB was crashing on mac too so It wasn't only a windows thing. XHCI Hand off disabled seems to be required for proper usb support especially with older devices

Good thing is this sytem is much more responsive in my favorite application "pro tools" under mac osx. Get almost 40 percent more performance just using pro tools under osx as opposed to windows.

Malki, I intend to make a hackie based on X99-UD4 tomorrow, and I'd like to ask you what is your exact (or your recommendations) for ram model and how much does it matter for OC. How is the system working under ProTools so far ( I intend to use mine with Logic ProX and loads of Nebula instances).

Malki, I intend to make a hackie based on X99-UD4 tomorrow, and I'd like to ask you what is your exact (or your recommendations) for ram model and how much does it matter for OC. How is the system working under ProTools so far ( I intend to use mine with Logic ProX and loads of Nebula instances).

Thanks for the reply. the system runs really nice as of right now in pro tools I use it every day. As far as ram, I'd go with a higher end brand like corsair. since your going to be paying a lot for ddr4 as it is, might as well get the best brand. I have the Corsair Vengeance DDR 4 2400 memory 16gb. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233716 There is "better" corsair memory like the "dominator" series but the only difference with that is a larger heatsink for higher overclock speeds.

Faster memory may or may not make a huge difference in system performance. Makes 0 difference in gaming whether your running 1333 ddr3 or 3000 mhz ddr4 (obviously haswell e can only use ddr4 though). Not sure how much it effects DAW performance but I found 2400 is a good number as the motherboard has a native xmp profile setting for it. otherwise your stuck at native speeds of 2133 but you can overclock higher if you wish or use xmp profile 2 at 2667 mhz. For all memory, set the motherboard to run at the speed it's clocked at, that seems to deliver the smoothest performance. I tried running my 2400 ram on xmp profile 2 clocked at 2667 but it seems to run less smooth although it is faster. I noticed the ram getting warm to the touch in that mode, so i clocked back to xmp profile 1 2400mhz and ram doesn't get hot while system runs smoother. 2400 X.M.P. Profile 1 is even smoother than when underclocked set to native 2133 MHz. So the board seems to have 3 native settings, 2133, X.M.P. Profile 1 @ 2400 X.M.P. Profile 2 @ 2667. you could buy 3000 MHz ram but you would have to manually clock the board to run at that speed and I don't know anything about voltages so I can't tell you how that would work. I would just buy 2400 mhz call it a day personally. It's fast enough and runs smooth!

As far as the board I have to point out one flaw I have had with it - and it is a somewhat widespread problem. If you running all Mac OS X drives you should be fine and you won't have this problem at all. But if you have windows drives like me - the minute you connect an NTFS formatted drive, on my specific board, you will not be able to enter the bios. It will act like its going into bios and just display a black screen. there is no way around it if your board does this. I've tried every bios version and almost every bios setting. the only way to get bios to display is to disconnect any NTFS drives and set your settings then re connect them. There is a workaround by setting the SATA controller to RAID mode and bios will work fine with all drives connected - but then you wont be able to boot OS X as far as I know (if you know how to do this let me know). This is not the case on all boards, but its definitely on a lot of the boards released, I'd say over 30 percent. I've checked through many user reviews and support posts on gigabyte's message boards, so this is a somewhat widespread problem. Although a lot of people say the board has 0 problems. its a weird bug that I have talked with gigabyte about and there seems to be no way to solve it right now. To be safe try to buy the 1.1 revision of this board not the 1.0. If i were you i'd try to get this board at a store in person so in case there is a problem with bios and you don't like it, you can take it back. If this doesn't bother you or your not running NTFS drives don't worry about it.

I'd still recommend this board as of now though. Once bios are set up you won't need to tweak it anymore and it overclocks perfectly and runs super cool! I saw a youtube user compare a number of x99 motherboards from other companies to this gigabyte board - turns out the gigabyte board has much better power consumption than other manufacturers like AS Rock and MSI. 100w less on adverage at same settings which is pretty big, and also stays cooler even for long periods of time. These other boards are not optimizing their power consumption like gigabyte, which tells me gigabyte uses better components, from that alone you know Gigabyte is much higher quality. Also it seems like ALL x99 boards from all manufactures have bugs left and right, it's just the price you pay from having the latest technology. There is no perfect x99 board they are ALL buggy, I've read tons of reviews on every brand from asus to gigabyte - so I'd say the x99 ud4 is still a great pick even with the bios bug. I knew there could be problems going into it so It's not that big a deal for me, but its something that you should keep in mind. Some boards don't have this problem so who knows if you will even encounter this. Smoothest computer I've ever ran and ultra fast!

As far as overclocking - I have never overclocked before. I have been building computers for years and even hackintosh's for years now but I never felt a need to overclock. Since the Haswell E processors dont come with a CPU fan and I had to buy an aftermarket cooler I decided to try overclocking. Glad I did. Computer is much faster and much much smoother with overclock. Since I pretty much know nothing about overclocking, I just used a preset in the bios. Just go to "advanced frequency settings" and select "cpu upgrade" then select "i7 5820k 4.3ghz" and save. It's that easy. motherboard does the rest! Runs super fast and stable. At least a 20-30 percent speed boost all around! I have had 0 problems with it overclocking and temps are still pretty low when compared to native speeds. If your planning on overclocking make sure your PSU is good for it. and make sure you have at least something like a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (for air) or a good water cooler.

As far as DAW performance, System runs MUCH better in pro tools on Mac OSX than in windows. Can use much more plugins on the cpu that ever before. I haven't even come close to maxing it out with a lot of plugins. Funny thing is, for video editing, this thing is even faster! One thing to keep in mind is, I tend to stack a lot of plugins on 1 track (i master within the same session i mix in) - when you stack plugins on 1 track each plugin uses the same core instead of splitting the usage among the cores. So 1 core usage might be around 50% in a large mix, but the other cores might be using only 10% because of the plugin stacking. Overclocking helps with that A LOT. Optimizes each core to run much more efficiently in pro tools. I assume logic would be the same. I would recommend spreading out plugins as much as possible among tracks to maximize CPU usage with this processor since we have an extra 2 cores as opposed to most quads (+ Hyperthreading). It's the same for any processor though, it's just how DAW's process audio. If you spread the plugins you will get so much more usage out of the system before is maxes out. It will be really hard to max this system overclocked if you spread the plugins out correctly. Let me know about nebula use I hear that takes a toll on CPU but im sure this i7 should handle it. For the price this is the best performance CPU intel has ever released! By the way this cpu is on sale for 299 at Micro Center (in store only) so if you have one around you go get it there!

Thanks for the reply.

No, It's really me that should be thanking you for such a detailed reply. Really, really appreciated!!!

I would like to ask you what did you used to get the OC recognized by the MAC os, since as far as I understand, you need to multiply the bus cpu frequency ( or is this related only to asus deluxe mobo ? ). I have read A LOT these days and I am getting even more confused on wether I should go with the GA UD4 or Asus Deluxe. I am interested in one that is getting a much hassle free installation and also supports oc in mac - sinces, yes, I want to have a better core management in Logic, similar to what you have described in Pro Tools.
The news is that I am inclined to get a 5960x instead of 5820k, since I found a sh one in my town for 600$.
The tech support from Nebula also recommended me the 5960x, but I do alot of stakcing on the group busses too, so I am not sure if the lower cpu freq (3 Ghz for 5960x compared to 3.6 Ghz for 5820k) is less important than the number of cores ( 8 for 5960x vs 6 on the 5820k).
Wonder if the Ud4 is OC friendly enough for the 5960x compared to an Asus x99 deluxe.

Hi @malki

It is strange that you have problems with multiple drives (MBR NTFS and GUID partition for Mac OS X). I have a lot of drives and never had issues entering the BIOS when all of them are connected.
Let me describe you my config - first of all it important to say that I use only the first 6 SATA ports on the Intel SATA3 controller.
On Sata 0 - SSD with Win 7 - MBR, NTFS format
On Sata 1 - DVD drive
On Sata 2 - 3TB WD Red, NTFS Format
On Sata 3 - 3TB WD Red, NTFS Format
On Sata 4 - 1TB WD Blue, GUID, 2x Mac OS X partitions , + NTFS partition
On Sata 5 - 1.5TB SG drive, NTFS format (very old having some bad sectors and recently started to make strange noise related to "spin up")

The rest of Sata ports are free, SATA is running in AHCI mode (no RAID). Nothing else special in BIOS settings.

From what I know the rest 4 Sata ports (available from MB) are on separate controller and I recommend to avoid it.

Check yorm MB manual to see exactly which are the 0-5 ports. As far as I remember the 0-1 are a little separated from the 2-5 ports. In the Printed manual check the page 28, section 10. Make sure you connect your drives only to ports mentioned in section 10 - do not connect them to sSATA controller (section 11)

It is important to say that I use Win 7 64 bit, and the "Windows drives" are not - UEFI formatted. Only UEFI drive is actually the 1TB WD Blue connected to Sata 4.

I the context of RAM speed. There is a lot of discussions related to DDR4 benefits. In terms of performance a good DDR3 is equal if not even superior to DDR4 in performance terms. The biggest difference is the fact that DDR4 is running in much lower voltage. This results in cooler system. And one more thing - the x99 is quad channel architecture compared to the 97. As you said the RAM performance can not be "seen in games". Current machines are CPU or GPU bound - in our days RAM is not an issue. Yes there will be a difference between DDR4 3000/C14 and 2133/C16 RAM but I can not pay the money difference :)

In the 5960x vs 5820k context. the 5960x is a monster but not for this price. For me the 5820k is perfect CPU in terms of single core frequency, multiple core options, Cache size and the price. This is the best CPU for its price.

About x99 bugs. Yes it is true that when x99 launched first few mounts was a nightmare. But now most of the MB vendors have polished the BIOS releases and the platform can be considered as mature. I still have the "XHCI bug" in my Windows 7, but I found that Auto mode is my best friend for this setting.

About revision 1.1 of the board. The only difference between 1.1 and 1.0 (at least official difference) is what ECC memory type 1.1 supports compared to 1.0. Maybe there is something "Extra" but I don't know nothing else. (My board is 1.0)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back