Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 Sierra 10.12 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank you Malki :), i have some really interesting question where you been able to make the pstate and cstate to work ? i made an ssdt file, but i'm not sure its working,
i followed this article "https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...broadwell-ep-haswell-ep-cpus-on-10-12.204468/"

thanks man :)

I don't use power management, I have my cpu overclocked so it's not using p states, c states / turbo boost or anything. It just runs at 4.3ghz all the time, which is what I prefer. I am not sure how to enable power management you might need to ask around on the forums.

my system is working, im just looking for the power management that everyone talking about but i'm not sure i had a success with it ...

Glad it's working!

Thanks again for this complete and easy to follow guide. I had to re-install Sierra on Asus X99-A11 and i7 5820K and got everything working in a very short time. The only difference is that I installed audio with VoodooHDA 2.8.9 installer package.
Great installation guide on a great site.

Hey Malki,

Thank you so much for this guide! It was clear and easy to follow. Thanks for your hard work. I did a previous Sierra install and had many issues with the USB ports and all the fixes led to kernel panics or a frozen mouse and keyboard. I decided to just start over using your guide.

All my USB ports are working fine right now. I just have three main issues that I'm not sure how to address right now.

1. Sleep/Wake issue-- When I wake my computer up the screen seems to be getting no info whatsoever, it stays black and actually goes to sleep because it doesn't detect a signal. I have to do a complete reset, and even then sometimes the screen won't get a signal. I can't even get it to post on the screen though I know my motherboard is posting. I actually have to completely power down the screen and turn off the power supply to my computer, and then turn them both on again. Only then will the splash screen reappear, like normal and then I can boot from clover. I have no issues resetting or starting up like normal, only waking the computer up.

2. Audio-- No audio. Do I need to get the USB device that you mentioned you have or is there a way to fix it with Apple HDA patcher? I tried to understand this video, but I didn't understand the process or if it would address my problem. Here is the link:

I'll just get the USB thing if that's easiest.

3. Screen Resolution-- I have a LG ultra wide 25UM57 monitor with a 21:9 (2560x1080) aspect ratio. I tried using SwitchResX to customize my resolution, but no luck. Presently the resolution is not the kind I need to make my screen usable. Is there something I have to do to make SwitchResX work with my hackintosh, or is it that I'm using the free trial version. Custom resolutions aren't excluded from the trial version, and I followed the guide to unlock the resolution specific to my monitor to the letter, so I think the issue has to do with my hackintosh.

Thanks!!!

P.s. I should also mention I did not update my Bios to f22. I plan on doing that. Not sure if it may relate to any of the issues I mentioned.

Thanks again for this complete and easy to follow guide. I had to re-install Sierra on Asus X99-A11 and i7 5820K and got everything working in a very short time. The only difference is that I installed audio with VoodooHDA 2.8.9 installer package.
Great installation guide on a great site.

Great! I am glad it's working! Thank you!

Hey Malki,

Thank you so much for this guide! It was clear and easy to follow. Thanks for your hard work. I did a previous Sierra install and had many issues with the USB ports and all the fixes led to kernel panics or a frozen mouse and keyboard. I decided to just start over using your guide.

All my USB ports are working fine right now. I just have three main issues that I'm not sure how to address right now.

1. Sleep/Wake issue-- When I wake my computer up the screen seems to be getting no info whatsoever, it stays black and actually goes to sleep because it doesn't detect a signal. I have to do a complete reset, and even then sometimes the screen won't get a signal. I can't even get it to post on the screen though I know my motherboard is posting. I actually have to completely power down the screen and turn off the power supply to my computer, and then turn them both on again. Only then will the splash screen reappear, like normal and then I can boot from clover. I have no issues resetting or starting up like normal, only waking the computer up.

2. Audio-- No audio. Do I need to get the USB device that you mentioned you have or is there a way to fix it with Apple HDA patcher? I tried to understand this video, but I didn't understand the process or if it would address my problem. Here is the link:

I'll just get the USB thing if that's easiest.

3. Screen Resolution-- I have a LG ultra wide 25UM57 monitor with a 21:9 (2560x1080) aspect ratio. I tried using SwitchResX to customize my resolution, but no luck. Presently the resolution is not the kind I need to make my screen usable. Is there something I have to do to make SwitchResX work with my hackintosh, or is it that I'm using the free trial version. Custom resolutions aren't excluded from the trial version, and I followed the guide to unlock the resolution specific to my monitor to the letter, so I think the issue has to do with my hackintosh.

Thanks!!!

P.s. I should also mention I did not update my Bios to f22. I plan on doing that. Not sure if it may relate to any of the issues I mentioned.

1. Sleep / Wake - I do not use this function although I am pretty sure it works.

2. Audio - This is an unfortunate situation: in my case on my specific board there is no other way for normal audio, except usb audio. I have tried to fix apple HDA and while it works for a short amount of time, it eventually goes out (just like with voodooHDA) but in the case of native apple audio when it goes out it can create kernel panics and errors. This goes for any method of enabling native audio. So I prefer VoodooHDA.

3. Screen Resolution - that sucks! I know you probably don't want to hear this but you may want to sell the ultra wide and just go with a normal 16:9 4k monitor. I am using 2 4k displays under 10.12.4. SwitchResX can work but can also cause problems. Personally I'd prefer to not use it. Try upgrading to 10.12.4 first though as it may work it looks like they upgraded the display section from 10.12.3. I am currently using 10.12.4 and it seems to be handling my displays a little better (used to have to use SwitchResX sometimes)

Good luck!

1. Sleep / Wake - I do not use this function although I am pretty sure it works.

2. Audio - This is an unfortunate situation: in my case on my specific board there is no other way for normal audio, except usb audio. I have tried to fix apple HDA and while it works for a short amount of time, it eventually goes out (just like with voodooHDA) but in the case of native apple audio when it goes out it can create kernel panics and errors. This goes for any method of enabling native audio. So I prefer VoodooHDA.

3. Screen Resolution - that sucks! I know you probably don't want to hear this but you may want to sell the ultra wide and just go with a normal 16:9 4k monitor. I am using 2 4k displays under 10.12.4. SwitchResX can work but can also cause problems. Personally I'd prefer to not use it. Try upgrading to 10.12.4 first though as it may work it looks like they upgraded the display section from 10.12.3. I am currently using 10.12.4 and it seems to be handling my displays a little better (used to have to use SwitchResX sometimes)

Good luck![/QUOTE]

Hey Malki,

Thanks for the reply, I won't use sleep, and I'll probably just get the USB device you have. I don't actually have VoodooHDA in my kext folders. When you say you prefer VoodooHDA, do you mean, you prefer trying to make native audio work with Voodoo, or that Voodoo works better (than AppleHDA) for a while, but just stick to the USB device to make it safe.

Also, no way! I can't get rid of this big beautiful monitor. Plus I don't have room for multiple screens so it kind of helps with that as well. When you tried SwitchResX, what are the problems you kept having? I'm going to get the full version and keep researching/working on it.

I'll do more research but I'm running 10.12.2. I shouldn't have any real issues upgrading to 10.12.4 right? Most issues arise when you're switching versions of OS X, like going from Capitan to Sierra.

Also two quick things I noticed.

1. I have to boot with a USB stick plugged in. If I don't,once the OS loads, all the USB ports are unresponsive and I use a USB mouse and keyboard, so I can't do anything. The cursor is on the top left of the screen and will not move.

I actually use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but my Bluetooth adapter is a USB device as well. I have Ps/2 ports on my Mobo, and I own an old keyboard and mouse, that are the old style PS/2 6 pin connectors, but they don't work either after the OS loads. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it. I don't mind leaving a USB plugged in every time the OS has to load.

2. I tried to boot into the recovery partition today to disable my SIP protocol in order to run a "pixel clock" patch that helps get the custom resolution in SwitchResX to work. This guy has the same monitor and fixed his issue, here is a link to the thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-2560x1440-by-hdmi-ga-h97-d3h-hd4400.175973/

Anyway, booting into the recovery partition kept failing. I tried -x as well, and no luck. In verbose it always stops at PCI-e configuration, and then I get a timeout error if enough time goes by.

Anything I can do to fix those issues? I don't quite understand what the recovery partition is, but it would help if it worked.

Hi Malki ! Thank you for the wonderful guide ! Everything works perfect. I've managed to run audio via HDMI port. Hopefully it will last.
Currently I'm running my cpu at 4.4 GHz at 1.3V with Noctua ND U14S at max load around 65*C ! It's running colder than my previous i7 4770K.

Cheers once again !

4nO12B8.png

Last edited:
Hey Malki,

Thanks for the reply, I won't use sleep, and I'll probably just get the USB device you have. I don't actually have VoodooHDA in my kext folders. When you say you prefer VoodooHDA, do you mean, you prefer trying to make native audio work with Voodoo, or that Voodoo works better (than AppleHDA) for a while, but just stick to the USB device to make it safe.

Also, no way! I can't get rid of this big beautiful monitor. Plus I don't have room for multiple screens so it kind of helps with that as well. When you tried SwitchResX, what are the problems you kept having? I'm going to get the full version and keep researching/working on it.

I'll do more research but I'm running 10.12.2. I shouldn't have any real issues upgrading to 10.12.4 right? Most issues arise when you're switching versions of OS X, like going from Capitan to Sierra.

For audio VoodooHDA is the most reliable. I have tried all the methods I could find on the net for how to enable audio. And have been successful with most of them, but audio stops working after a little while. Within a few weeks usually it will randomly just stop working all together and I am not sure why. When it stops working with native audio it leads to kernel panics, but using VoodooHDA i don't have kernel panics and can still use spdif out. I use a usb audio device for my computer speakers.

I am running 3 displays from my gtx 970, 2 of them are 4k resolution, sometimes this would cause one of my 4k displays to run at 30hz. In windows my solution is to disconnect 1 display using a 3rd party program (its a tv connected from the other room and even though powered off still appeares connected), and it works fine when i use the program to disconnect, and I just enable the Tv when I need it.

I was using SwitchRes in Mac Os to do the same thing. This worked for a while, but recently i upgraded to 10.12.3 and my 40" 4k started running at 30hz again, switchres seemed to stop fixing the problem. Luckily, now that I upgraded to 10.12.4 it seems that I no longer need switchres. Somehow the display seems managed better in Mac so I am no longer having that problem, and am no longer needing to use SwitchRes.

I would advise upgrading to 10.12.4 but before upgrading make sure you upgrade clover to the newest version or it won't work. It needs newest version of clover to load kexts. Also make sure you boot with nv_disable=1 and uncheck "use web drivers" when you upgrade if you are using nvidia drivers or you will boot to a black screen. Once you boot then remove nv_disable=1 from clover install new web drivers and tick "use web drivers" again in clover config.

Also two quick things I noticed.

1. I have to boot with a USB stick plugged in. If I don't,once the OS loads, all the USB ports are unresponsive and I use a USB mouse and keyboard, so I can't do anything. The cursor is on the top left of the screen and will not move.

I actually use a wireless keyboard and mouse, but my Bluetooth adapter is a USB device as well. I have Ps/2 ports on my Mobo, and I own an old keyboard and mouse, that are the old style PS/2 6 pin connectors, but they don't work either after the OS loads. Not sure what's going on or how to fix it. I don't mind leaving a USB plugged in every time the OS has to load.

2. I tried to boot into the recovery partition today to disable my SIP protocol in order to run a "pixel clock" patch that helps get the custom resolution in SwitchResX to work. This guy has the same monitor and fixed his issue, here is a link to the thread:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...h-2560x1440-by-hdmi-ga-h97-d3h-hd4400.175973/

Anyway, booting into the recovery partition kept failing. I tried -x as well, and no luck. In verbose it always stops at PCI-e configuration, and then I get a timeout error if enough time goes by.

Anything I can do to fix those issues? I don't quite understand what the recovery partition is, but it would help if it worked.

If you have to boot with USB stick you may not have clover installed? The usb problem seems like you may need different usb drivers. You have a different board. This guide is specifically for the Ga-x99 ud4 motherboard.

To get ps/2 ports working you will probably need a kext, it used to be in multibeast, now im sure you can find it doing a google search.

I can't boot into recovery either. If you figure out how to do that, let me know.

Hi Malki ! Thank you for the wonderful guide ! Everything works perfect. I've managed to run audio via HDMI port. Hopefully it will last.
Currently I'm running my cpu at 4.4 GHz at 1.3V with Noctua ND U14S at max load around 65*C ! It's running colder than my previous i7 4770K.

Cheers once again !

Great! what cpu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back