Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 High Sierra 10.13 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yes i think high sierra runs smoother than El Capitan but should be similar performance. I never could get the computer to run quite right on El Capitan, but since sierra / high sierra it's been great. I am on 10.13.6 its perfect

Running on x99-ud4, 5820k @ 4,2 GHz, rx vega56, 4x4GB corsair dominator @ 2800 MHz highsierra version 10.13.5 and got an additional thunderbolt / displayport pcie card (original GigaByte) - thats the only thing that does not work. And I got no idea what kind of way may work..

thanks for this amazing job, done here

Running on x99-ud4, 5820k @ 4,2 GHz, rx vega56, 4x4GB corsair dominator @ 2800 MHz highsierra version 10.13.5 and got an additional thunderbolt / displayport pcie card (original GigaByte) - thats the only thing that does not work. And I got no idea what kind of way may work..

thanks for this amazing job, done here

glad its working! Not sure about thunderbolt just do some searching. Good luck!

Hi everyone. Just an update on the audio situation for this build. I am currently running Voodoo 2.9.2, and I am loading it from the Clover EFI partition kext/Other folder. It has survived a couple of shutdowns and a couple of resets, but time will tell.

UPDATE: It looks like booting into Windows and then back into macOS somehow breaks the Green port? If I plug into the front headphone jack, that one works without issues. Also, when experimenting with AppleALC, I was getting all ports to work except for Internal Speakers (the green one on the back).

UPDATE 2: It looks like a full shutdown and then boot got things working again? Things might not be loading properly if I restart from Windows and change my boot device at reboot. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a separate drive.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. Just an update on the audio situation for this build. I am currently running Voodoo 2.9.2, and I am loading it from the Clover EFI partition kext/Other folder. It has survived a couple of shutdowns and a couple of resets, but time will tell.

UPDATE: It looks like booting into Windows and then back into macOS somehow breaks the Green port? If I plug into the front headphone jack, that one works without issues. Also, when experimenting with AppleALC, I was getting all ports to work except for Internal Speakers (the green one on the back).

UPDATE 2: It looks like a full shutdown and then boot got things working again? Things might not be loading properly if I restart from Windows and change my boot device at reboot. I am running Windows 7 Pro on a separate drive.

Right. Already covered this in the guide. Audio is unreliable on this board unless using a usb audio adapter or spidf out.

Step 10 - Enabling Onboard Audio
This used to be a guide for installing VoodooHDA.Kext. You can now install it via Multibeast, so make sure you do! (already part of step 8)

This will kext will enable sound, although it is not fully reliable unless using Spidf out.

Note: Plugging in computer speakers to the green audio jack will eventually stop working. In this case you will need your USB Audio Device. If using Spdif out you will have no problems. I have tried all ways possible to enable onboard sound with this build and this is the best method. All other ways are even more unreliable and can cause problems with the install. I came to this conclusion after about a year of trial and error.

Right. Already covered this in the guide. Audio is unreliable on this board unless using a usb audio adapter or spidf out.

Step 10 - Enabling Onboard Audio
This used to be a guide for installing VoodooHDA.Kext. You can now install it via Multibeast, so make sure you do! (already part of step 8)

This will kext will enable sound, although it is not fully reliable unless using Spidf out.

Note: Plugging in computer speakers to the green audio jack will eventually stop working. In this case you will need your USB Audio Device. If using Spdif out you will have no problems. I have tried all ways possible to enable onboard sound with this build and this is the best method. All other ways are even more unreliable and can cause problems with the install. I came to this conclusion after about a year of trial and error.
Hi malki,

Thanks for the follow up, and I appreciate all of your work on putting together your guides. Yes, I am aware that this was covered in the guide, as I read it and followed it to get my second Hackintosh up and running with High Sierra. However, since there have been 2 revisions released since 2.9.0d10 of the VoodooHDA.kext, and given that there was no note of the current version being tested (2.9.2), I thought I would revisit getting the onboard audio working. So far, I have gotten the rear green audio working consistently when booting from a powered down system with VoodooHDA 2.9.2 (i.e. a full shutdown, rather than doing a soft restart from Windows). I will not deem it "reliable" until after another couple of weeks or so of testing. I have also gotten audio working on the front "green" audio jack (headphone jack) whenever I try it (after a couple more weeks of testing, I would say that the headphone jack is a viable workaround for someone that is unable to use a USB audio adapter or Toslink (i.e. S/PDIF out on this board)). In addition, it is my understanding that loading the audio kext from Clover rather than just installing it from MultiBeast prevents the audio from breaking after updates since the kext is safely on the Clover EFI partition, and is out of the reach of system update installers. (My other older Hackintosh uses Chimera, and so updates would always break the audio I installed via MultiBeast and I would have to reinstall it from MultiBeast after a system update.)

Just thought I would bring up some discussion since the guide does not account for the latest versions of all audio kext options that have been released since your year's worth of trial and error, and also does not mention the headphone jack workaround using 2.9.2 (and I am happy to follow up after another couple of weeks worth of daily testing to thoroughly confirm that it is 100% reliable). If you would prefer that I approach sharing new ideas in a different way while exploring kext updates/alternatives in the future, or that I just make my own forum, please let me know, and I am open to doing that instead.

Respectfully,
lokster123

Last edited:
Hi malki,

Thanks for the follow up, and I appreciate all of your work on putting together your guides. Yes, I am aware that this was covered in the guide, as I read it and followed it to get my second Hackintosh up and running with High Sierra. However, since there have been 2 revisions released since 2.9.0d10 of the VoodooHDA.kext, and given that there was no note of the current version being tested (2.9.2), I thought I would revisit getting the onboard audio working. So far, I have gotten the rear green audio working consistently when booting from a powered down system with VoodooHDA 2.9.2 (i.e. a full shutdown, rather than doing a soft restart from Windows). I will not deem it "reliable" until after another couple of weeks or so of testing. I have also gotten audio working on the front "green" audio jack (headphone jack) whenever I try it (after a couple more weeks of testing, I would say that the headphone jack is a viable workaround for someone that is unable to use a USB audio adapter or Toslink (i.e. S/PDIF out on this board)). In addition, it is my understanding that loading the audio kext from Clover rather than just installing it from MultiBeast prevents the audio from breaking after updates since the kext is safely on the Clover EFI partition, and is out of the reach of system update installers. (My other older Hackintosh uses Chimera, and so updates would always break the audio I installed via MultiBeast and I would have to reinstall it from MultiBeast after a system update.)

Just thought I would bring up some discussion since the guide does not account for the latest versions of all audio kext options that have been released since your year's worth of trial and error, and also does not mention the headphone jack workaround using 2.9.2 (and I am happy to follow up after another couple of weeks worth of daily testing to thoroughly confirm that it is 100% reliable). If you would prefer that I approach sharing new ideas in a different way while exploring kext updates/alternatives in the future, or that I just make my own forum, please let me know, and I am open to doing that instead.

Respectfully,
lokster123

It's most likely to be unreliable when switching between operating systems. Try running windows for a time, then running mac, then running windows then mac again. It usually stops loading after that. Give it a week of normal use - a month, it should go out before a month is up. Whether its in your Clover EFI partition or installed via multibeast wont affect the reliablility of the audio from the green speaker jack. If this new version truly does fix the unreliablility of onboard audio then I will try it out and upgrade. But please let me know before I do because I already have my system running great I don't want to mess with it. It also may depend on what software you have installed within MacOs. I run video editing software that may be interfering with the audio drivers. BTW your motherboard is rev 1.1 mine is rev 1.0. this may also make a difference. So I can't fully say if we can duplicate each others experience.

As for me saying i tested it over a year this is true. I probably reinstalled about 20-50 times in that year trying to get the best performance doing trial and error on every little aspect of MacOs. Everyone says something different about what works, but that doesn't mean it will work for me or you. The many things I tried to get reliable audio were using Tonymacx86 member "Toledo"'s method, following different guides on youtube, downloading peoples efi folder, following install guides on other sites, following guides that show how to edit certain files within clover, patching audio within clover, trying different kexts etc. I was pretty thorough. I reformatted a lot between 10.12/10.13 trying to get the most out of the computer for video editing. Some people's guides say they can get working audio on our board, but it goes out on my system eventually. It's not a hardware issue as audio works perfect on Windows and has been since I have had the mobo. Supposedly toledo's solution works for x99, but I honestly can't figure out how to get it to work. If this newest version of VoodooHDA.kext that you have, is the once and for all fix that would be great. When I make my guides is take all the information I can gather about installing on this specific motherboard and compile it into 1 guide, so if you can contribute and test that it works. I will add it into the guide and give you credit for discovering that

Last edited:
It's most likely to be unreliable when switching between operating systems. Try running windows for a time, then running mac, then running windows then mac again. It usually stops loading after that. Give it a week of normal use - a month, it should go out before a month is up. Whether its in your Clover EFI partition or installed via multibeast wont affect the reliablility of the audio from the green speaker jack. If this new version truly does fix the unreliablility of onboard audio then I will try it out and upgrade. But please let me know before I do because I already have my system running great I don't want to mess with it. It also may depend on what software you have installed within MacOs. I run video editing software that may be interfering with the audio drivers. BTW your motherboard is rev 1.1 mine is rev 1.0. this may also make a difference. So I can't fully say if we can duplicate each others experience.

As for me saying i tested it over a year this is true. I probably reinstalled about 20-50 times in that year trying to get the best performance doing trial and error on every little aspect of MacOs. Everyone says something different about what works, but that doesn't mean it will work for me or you. The many things I tried to get reliable audio were using Tonymacx86 member "Toledo"'s method, following different guides on youtube, downloading peoples efi folder, following install guides on other sites, following guides that show how to edit certain files within clover, patching audio within clover, trying different kexts etc. I was pretty thorough. I reformatted a lot between 10.12/10.13 trying to get the most out of the computer for video editing. Some people's guides say they can get working audio on our board, but it goes out on my system eventually. It's not a hardware issue as audio works perfect on Windows and has been since I have had the mobo. Supposedly toledo's solution works for x99, but I honestly can't figure out how to get it to work. If this newest version of VoodooHDA.kext that you have, is the once and for all fix that would be great. When I make my guides is take all the information I can gather about installing on this specific motherboard and compile it into 1 guide, so if you can contribute and test that it works. I will add it into the guide and give you credit for discovering that
Sorry for the late response. I was not able to post for the past few days.

I was not doubting you saying you had tested it for a year. Judging by the amount of detail your guide covers, I figured that you had tested it thoroughly when you were testing it. Anyway, in my experience with Voodoo 2.9.2 so far, the front green audio (headphone jack) is working 100% of the time, and the rear green only works for me consistently after a full shut down when switching over from Windows. Otherwise, restarts from macOS back into macOS have been working no problem. Also, I have a fairly fresh install on this Hackintosh aside from non-Apple web browsers, a macro key mapping program to accommodate volume controls on my PS/2 keyboard, and f.lux. That's about it.

Let's go for about another month's worth of testing on my end before you start tinkering with your personal rig or edit the guide, as I do not want you to spend time on this unless you want to or have good reason to, especially considering the amount of time you have already spent on the audio. At the time of this posting, my audio is still working. I will try to post updates about once a week to let everyone know how things are going. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Sorry for the late response. I was not able to post for the past few days.

I was not doubting you saying you had tested it for a year. Judging by the amount of detail your guide covers, I figured that you had tested it thoroughly when you were testing it. Anyway, in my experience with Voodoo 2.9.2 so far, the front green audio (headphone jack) is working 100% of the time, and the rear green only works for me consistently after a full shut down when switching over from Windows. Otherwise, restarts from macOS back into macOS have been working no problem. Also, I have a fairly fresh install on this Hackintosh aside from non-Apple web browsers, a macro key mapping program to accommodate volume controls on my PS/2 keyboard, and f.lux. That's about it.

Let's go for about another month's worth of testing on my end before you start tinkering with your personal rig or edit the guide, as I do not want you to spend time on this unless you want to or have good reason to, especially considering the amount of time you have already spent on the audio. At the time of this posting, my audio is still working. I will try to post updates about once a week to let everyone know how things are going. Thanks again.

Ok great. Please test it. I know we both have different revisions for the motherboard, looks like i have 1.0 and you have the updated 1.1 revision. This might make a difference, or not. I don't want to use the front audio port for my speakers. The way I have my computer connected it looks much cleaner having the speakers plugged in the rear jack. So that would be the only relevant audio jack for me. I just checked it yesterday and audio was working fine from the green jack. Then today I boot it up from it being fully shut down for hours, no audio, nothing. So yes the problem is still there. No apparent pattern it seems to follow. It just seems to work when it wants to. Of course my spdif out never fails me

Ok great. Please test it. I know we both have different revisions for the motherboard, looks like i have 1.0 and you have the updated 1.1 revision. This might make a difference, or not. I don't want to use the front audio port for my speakers. The way I have my computer connected it looks much cleaner having the speakers plugged in the rear jack. So that would be the only relevant audio jack for me. I just checked it yesterday and audio was working fine from the green jack. Then today I boot it up from it being fully shut down for hours, no audio, nothing. So yes the problem is still there. No apparent pattern it seems to follow. It just seems to work when it wants to. Of course my spdif out never fails me
Another week of working audio with Voodoo 2.9.2 by doing only full shutdowns to get into macOS from Windows. I will follow up again next week.

Yes, using the front audio is a bit of an eyesore for me as well, which is why I was trying to get rear audio working in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back