Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 High Sierra 10.13 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see why it wouldn't? I have never used a dual gpu setup. I had a 970 before my 1080ti. I thought about going dual 970 but I decided to just upgrade. You might want to just upgrade to a 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080 or 1080ti
When you upgraded the card you just swapped the card or needed to change some settings?

I'm currently trying to upgrade from the GTX 970 to the 1070 and the Apple load bar just freezes beginning of loading bar and reboots.

Great! Why does it benchmark lower though? Is there a way to do all that without affecting multicore perfromance?

I have realised that it is due to several factors. For starters, the Gigabyte X99 UD4 bios is not the most stable. Every boot is a gamble, about whether I will get C2 states or not, whether my overclock will be stable etc... and then there is the 5820K, which apparently is a bit of a black sheep among Haswell-E processors.

I have recently succeeded in overclocking my rig to a stable 4.5 GHz at 1.36 volts core voltage, 125 MHz as the Base Clock and 2666 MHz for the RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR 4 with XMP disabled, otherwise I don't get POST). Very stable in Windows, passes all benchmarks and stress tests. However, in Mac OS, it is still a gamble to get proper C-states, whether EIST is disabled or not, and so on. I will sometimes get 25000-plus on Geekbench, and sometimes it is tough to breach even 19000. Go figure...

I have realised that it is due to several factors. For starters, the Gigabyte X99 UD4 bios is not the most stable. Every boot is a gamble, about whether I will get C2 states or not, whether my overclock will be stable etc... and then there is the 5820K, which apparently is a bit of a black sheep among Haswell-E processors.

I have recently succeeded in overclocking my rig to a stable 4.5 GHz at 1.36 volts core voltage, 125 MHz as the Base Clock and 2666 MHz for the RAM (Corsair Vengeance DDR 4 with XMP disabled, otherwise I don't get POST). Very stable in Windows, passes all benchmarks and stress tests. However, in Mac OS, it is still a gamble to get proper C-states, whether EIST is disabled or not, and so on. I will sometimes get 25000-plus on Geekbench, and sometimes it is tough to breach even 19000. Go figure...

wow. I do not have those problems with mine fortunately. Computer has consistent performance the way I have mine set up

I am really not being able to get this GTX 1070 to boot with Nvidia Webdrivers. What am I missing here?

Thanks

wow. I do not have those problems with mine fortunately. Computer has consistent performance the way I have mine set up

Which version of the BIOS update are you on? Would you mind sharing your complete BIOS settings, so that I can set up mine like yours? Also your EFI folder?

View attachment 390049

I am really not being able to get this GTX 1070 to boot with Nvidia Webdrivers. What am I missing here?

Thanks

Not sure! But Nvidia web drivers supposedly do not work on 10.14 Mojave. I have not upgraded because of this reason. If you are trying to install 10.13.x then it should work no problem. It definitely won't kernel panic.

I have had it boot to a black screen when trying to install web drivers before when using a mac pro system definition, but lilu.kext / whatevergreen.kext take care of that!

Make sure you follow the install guide step by step and make sure you are installing 10.13 if you follow my guide there should be no problems!

Which version of the BIOS update are you on? Would you mind sharing your complete BIOS settings, so that I can set up mine like yours? Also your EFI folder?

I am on latest beta bios f24c

Available here:

Here is my EFI Folder! (sorry for slow response did not have time to upload until now)

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    20.9 MB · Views: 119
I am on latest beta bios f24c

Available here:

Here is my EFI Folder! (sorry for slow response did not have time to upload until now)

Thanks. I also moved to a modded version of F24c (with Haswell-E microcode) and I have quite a stable overclock at 4.5 GHz after that. Computer performing at its peak now...

Not sure! But Nvidia web drivers supposedly do not work on 10.14 Mojave. I have not upgraded because of this reason. If you are trying to install 10.13.x then it should work no problem. It definitely won't kernel panic.

I have had it boot to a black screen when trying to install web drivers before when using a mac pro system definition, but lilu.kext / whatevergreen.kext take care of that!
10.13.6 - HS
My bad, by p1lgrim advice just deleted whole EFI folder (which was probably really old), and started over with a clean one, did the trick.

Anyways I ended up taking back the 1070 GPU to the store because with Premiere the upgrade just wasn't taking advantage of it (on playback at least), so I'm again with the 970GTX. Gonna use that cash instead to buy more RAM

Since you use same software as me, did you feel the upgrade was worth it?

By the way, with this latest tutorial, the sound onboard and Sleeping works, which wasn't on the 10.13.2, so great work everyone!

Last edited:
Thanks. I also moved to a modded version of F24c (with Haswell-E microcode) and I have quite a stable overclock at 4.5 GHz after that. Computer performing at its peak now...

Great! I am interested to hear how you were able to clock it that high Unfortunately since the bios update where it completely changed the layout of the bios (maybe around f20 or so) I lost all manual control for overclock. I used to be able to change every setting manually, now it won't let me change any settings except the overclock presets. 4.3 ghz is highest for mine since its the highest overclock preset. I think I can crank it a little higher since I have a good cpu cooler, but there's no way since the bios won't let me change anything pertaining to speed. The option is just greyed out or something. Is that happening for you?

10.13.6 - HS
My bad, by p1lgrim advice just deleted whole EFI folder (which was probably really old), and started over with a clean one, did the trick.

Anyways I ended up taking back the 1070 GPU to the store because with Premiere the upgrade just wasn't taking advantage of it (on playback at least), so I'm again with the 970GTX. Gonna use that cash instead to buy more RAM

Since you use same software as me, did you feel the upgrade was worth it?

By the way, with this latest tutorial, the sound onboard and Sleeping works, which wasn't on the 10.13.2, so great work everyone!

Glad it works now. For what I shoot (gh5 4k footage 24/60p) I needed 32gb ram or it would crash randomly when I would add multiple color correction fx. I think i would max the ram and then it would crash. I had 16, so bought another 16 and problem was solved. I also had the 970 before as well. My original setup for this system was 5820k 16gb ram gtx 970. But since the gh5 4k was so demanding on the computer, I was forced to go 32gb ram. Then the 1080ti came out and I went for it. Even with 32gb ram the gtx 970 was playing back my 4k 24p 10 bit and 4k 60p 8 bit footage kinda slow at full quality when all the color correction was added. I would have to go 1/2 or 1/4 to get smooth playback at that point, and I like to see it clear on my big screen. I would have bought a 1070 but bitcoin at the time had those cards super high (end of 2017) and everything was sold out. Fortunately the 1080ti's were't affected at the time so I got one of those.

The only thing I regret is not having an onboard GPU! I recently bought a laptop with a gtx 1060 (Walmart overpowered 17+) and an 8750h, partly for editing video. Suprisingly it gives my hackintosh 5820k / 1080ti a run for it's money performance wise! In premiere in windows it utilizes both the onboard gpu and the nvidia gpu at the same time, so performance is much beter than I expected. Maybe only like 25-30% worse than my 1080ti! Perfectly fine to edit with as a secondary system. I almost want to get an 8700k now for my hackintosh because onboard gpu on this laptop seems to make a big difference in premiere, but I don't want to get a whole nother motherboard and different ram.

Last year I went as far as to upgrade the cpu on this hackintosh to a 6950x for better performance in premiere, and felt the same as you with your graphics card upgrade. It was a letdown. I actually got much better realtime playback with my 5820k than the 10 core 6950x. I returned that cpu. Premiere is weird about optimization its more about the right combination than anything as far as getting the best performance. But it may have been a thermal issue, because shortly after that the pump on my corsair cpu cooler failed. Computer was running horribly. I have since gotten it replaced (for free) under warranty (corsair is cool for that). Now it runs smooth, I only can wonder if i still had the 6950x would that have made a difference? Idk.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back