Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] i7-5820k / GTX 970 / GA-X99-UD4 High Sierra 10.13 [Clover Guide] (100% Working)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4
CPU
i7-5820K
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Lisa
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
191297-9047c270e4f2777e00cdfdc1da6fa5f6.jpg

231067-884f40bac4a075bf4583417caa966b39.jpg

Here is a full install guide using Unibeast / Clover to install Mac OS High Sierra 10.13 on your custom built Haswell E X99 Computer! I made this guide from information gathered on the TonyMac forums. It's based on my guide from 10.12, except 10.13 is as of now most solid version of MacOs for x99!

What's working:
Everything! 100% on up to 10.13.6

Guide last updated 11/20/2018
- Fixed / deleted any outdated information (November update, makes install even easier!)
- Finishing Touches (earlier update)
- Added Mac Pro system definition (Optional Guide)

The build:
GIGABYTE GA-X99-UD4 (Motherboard)
Intel Core i7 5820k Haswell E Processor (Cpu)
32GB Corsair Vengence DDR4 2400 RAM (Memory)
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 11GB (Graphics Card)
Sandisk Extreme ii 120GB SSD (Mac boot drive)
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB SSD (Windows boot drive for dual boot)
(4) Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB (Storage Drives)
LG Blu-Ray / CD / DVD Writer (Optical drive)
Corsair Hydro H115i (Cpu Water Cooler)
Corsair HX1000 Series (Power Supply)
Corsair Obsidian Series 750D Airflow (Computer Case)

Monitors:
Seiki SM40UNP 40" (4k Monitor)
LG 24UD58-B 24" (4k Monitor)
Vizio 1080p HDTV 42" (Tv connected from the other room for streaming movies, and gaming)

Requirements for this install:
An empty flash drive for Unibeast + an already working copy of OS X to make the drive.

A usb audio device. I have a Sabrent USB sound adapter, it's plug and play! Link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IRVQ0F8/?tag=tonymacx86com-20

Pre installation requirements:
Update Bios to f24 from Gigabyte's Website (for x99 ud4 motherboard) @ http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5123#bios

Go into bios, use "load optimized defaults"

Save.

Thats it.

Bios settings not required, but recommended for this install:
  • Go into bios under frequency settings set "cpu boost 5820k to 4.3 ghz"
  • Set memory settings xmp memory profile to "profile 1" or "profile 2"
Note: This will overclock your cpu and memory, you may or may not want to do that. I reccommend it. Computer definetly runs better with overclocking. It's automatic and the motherboard takes care of all the voltage settings. Use 4.3ghz for your cpu and profile 1 or profile 2 to overclock your ram. The xmp speed settings are automatically determined by the motherboard and should change dynamically depending on what speed ram you have installed. I use profile 1 because I am using 2400mhz memory and motherboard gives exactly that for this setting. Profile 2 is a stronger overclock.

Step 1 - Unibeast
Use the tonymacx86 method to install "High Sierra" to a USB Flash Drive using Unibeast. You will need to make an account on tonymacx86 to be able to download Unibeast.

Here is the link to the guide to make the unibeast flash drive:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

Install Unibeast / High Sierra To flash Drive using the guide from the link I posted.

Step 2 - Clover Configurator
After installing Unibeast / High Sierra flash drive you will need to get Clover Configurator.

Get Clover Configurator from http://mackie100projects.altervista.org/download-clover-configurator/

Copy Clover Configurator to Your Applications

Step 3 - EFI Partition
Open the EFI partition from the unibeast drive (it should be mounted now that you installed unibeast).

Step 4 - OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi
Download OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi from this link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d74tdymovdxmlly/OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi?dl=0

(Source: https://nickwoodhams.com/x99-hackintosh-osxaptiofixdrv-allocaterelocblock-error-update/ )

Copy OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi to your /EFI/ClOVER/drivers64UEFI folder on your Unibeast drive, and remove OsXAptioFix2Drv.efi (This is the key to getting the unibeast drive to boot!)

- Thanks to Sunman for the info! https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/so-close-to-success-x99-ud4-5820k-x290-5770-sierra-boot.203495/ <---- reference link

Step 5 - Configuring Unibeast USB Drive in Clover Configurator
Open config.plist from the EFI > Clover folder on your Unibeast drive with Clover Configurator.

In the "Boot" Section of Clover Configurator Tick:

dart=0
npci=0x2000

in the custom flags box type
-v

Then go down to "Install Drivers" under the "Tools" Section of Clover Configurator (Bottom Left).

Make sure these drivers are installed (grey means installed), if not, click to install them:

Drivers UEFI 64 Bit: EmuVariableUefi, HFSPlus UEFI, OsxFatBinaryDrv UEFI

Go to File > Save and save your config.plist. Close Clover Configurator.

Delete VBoxHfs-64.efi from your /EFI/ClOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (replaced by HFSPlus UEFI)

Now your ready to install MacOS High Sierra!

- Note: EmuVariableUefi & OsxFatBinaryDrv UEFI may not be required anymore. If you experience any problems booting the installer you can delete these kexts, just make sure AptioMemoryFix-64.efi, PartitionDxe-64.efi and ApfsDriverLoader-64.efi are present in your efi folder. If those kexts are present, this also eliminates the need for OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000.efi, so you can also delete that kext if need be.

Step 6 - Installing MacOS High Sierra

Reboot your computer and choose to boot from usb drive. It should boot into the MacOs installer screen!

* If it does not boot, click the icon that looks like a gear on the clover boot menu. Try adding "nv_disable=1" (without quotation marks) to the boot flags section.

Follow the guide from Tonymacx86 to complete the installation: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...ierra-on-any-supported-intel-based-pc.235474/

After 10.13 is installed continue to follow this guide.

Step 7 - Booting Into MacOS High Sierra
Now that it's installed, boot once again from your Unibeast drive, but this time select your new MacOs Installation from the clover screen. You should not need any extra boot flags.

* If it does not boot, click the icon that looks like a gear on the clover boot menu. Try adding "nv_disable=1" (without quotation marks) to the boot flags section.

* On the first boot it will most likely say "Installing MacOs" and automatically reboot before installing. Just boot from your Unibeast drive once again, and select your new MacOs install like before. This time it should install as it should.

Continue to set up the computer and finish the boot until you see the desktop. Remove your Unibeast drive.

Step 8 - Setting Up Multibeast in MacOs High Sierra
Download & run Multibeast - High Sierra from here (10.4 at time of this guide): https://www.tonymacx86.com/resources/categories/tonymacx86-downloads.3/

Select These Options:
Quick Start > UEFI Boot Mode
Drivers > Audio > Universal > VoodooHDA v2.9.0d10
Drivers > Disk > Intel Generic AHCI Sata
Drivers > Misc > NullCPUPowerManagement
Drivers > Misc > VoodooTSCSync > VooDooTSCSync 6 Core (for i7 5820k)
Drivers > Network > Intel > AppleIntelE1000e v3.3.6 (or newer)
Drivers > USB > 7/8/9 Series USB Support
Drivers > USB > Remove XHCI USB Port Limit
Customize > NVIDIA Web Drivers Boot Flag

Install Multibeast.

Step 9 - Clover Configurator Setup For MacOS Efi Folder
In the "Boot" Section of Clover Configurator Tick:

dart=0
npci=0x2000

Then go down to "Install Drivers" under the "Tools" Section of Clover Configurator (Bottom Left).

Make sure these drivers are installed (grey means installed), if not, click to install them:

Drivers UEFI 64 Bit: HFSPlus UEFI

Delete VBoxHfs-64.efi from your /EFI/ClOVER/drivers64UEFI folder (replaced by HFSPlus UEFI)

Step 10 - Enabling Onboard Audio
This used to be a guide for installing VoodooHDA.Kext. You can now install it via Multibeast, so make sure you do! (already part of step 8)

This will kext will enable sound, although it is not fully reliable unless using Spidf out.

Note: Plugging in computer speakers to the green audio jack will eventually stop working. In this case you will need your USB Audio Device. If using Spdif out you will have no problems. I have tried all ways possible to enable onboard sound with this build and this is the best method. All other ways are even more unreliable and can cause problems with the install. I came to this conclusion after about a year of trial and error.

Step 11 - Enabling USB 3.0 Support
Download X99_Injector USB 3.kext (attached at bottom of this post)

Copy X99_Injector USB 3.kext to EFI > Clover > Kexts > Other

Now you will have enabled USB with full support for 3.0! (Multibeast has done the rest)

Step 12 - Installing Nvidia Web Drivers
Download and install NVidia Web Drivers for your version of 10.13 from: https://www.tonymacx86.com/nvidia-drivers/ (check build number, make sure drivers match the exact build of your MacOs install)

Reboot

Step 13 - Enabling Trim
Go to Applications > Utilities > Terminal enter 'sudo trimforce enable' (without the ''s) this will enable Trim if using an SSD Drive (Highly recommended, SSD only)

System will reboot automatically.

Congratulations you now have a fully working x99 Hackintosh running 10.13.x!

Step 14 - Optional Install - Change System Definition To Mac Pro 6,1
Here is a guide on how to enable the Mac Pro definition for your x99 system. I noticed since changing to Mac Pro, there is less freezing (basically none) while I edit videos. My primary use of this system is for video editing. Other than that I notice no difference. If you want to install it, here are the steps.

Re-run Multibeast and select these options:

Cutomize > System Definitions > Mac Pro > Mac Pro 6,1

Download latest Lilu.Kext Release:
https://github.com/acidanthera/Lilu/releases

Download Latest WhateverGreen.Kext Release:
https://github.com/acidanthera/WhateverGreen/releases

Place Lilu.Kext & WhateverGreen.Kext in /EFI/Clover/Kexts/Other

* These kexts will prevent booting to black screen when using Mac Pro 6,1 System Definition.

Reboot and you should be good to go!

Optional Install - Dual Boot with Windows
In order to dual boot with windows 10 you will need to open up your config.plist file again.

Open Clover Configurator, go to "Mount Efi" section under the "Tools" menu in bottom left. Mount your install, which should be the first selection in the menu. Then open the EFI partition and open config.plist from the Clover folder with Clover Configurator.

• If windows was installed using UEFI Mode:

In the "Boot" Section of Clover Configurator the menu on the top right should say "PBR"

Go down to "Install Drivers" under the "Tools" Section of Clover Configurator (Bottom Left).

Make sure these drivers are installed (grey means installed):

Extra Drivers (Bottom Right Menu): NTFS UEFI

• If it doesn't boot from clover, you have installed windows without UEFI:

In the "Boot" Section of Clover Configurator change the "Legacy" menu on the top right to "LegacyBiosDefault" (it should say PBR by default)

Make sure these drivers are installed (grey means installed):

Extra Drivers (Bottom Right Menu): NTFS

You should now be able to dual boot with Windows from the Clover Menu!

Disable Gatekeeper In MacOs Sierra

The Gatekeeper settings can be found in System Preferences > Security & Privacy > General. The Gatekeeper options are located beneath “All apps downloaded from:” with the choice of “Anywhere” missing.

Thankfully, the “Anywhere” setting can be restored to Gatekeeper in Sierra with a Terminal command. First, quit System Preferences if it’s open and then open a new Terminal window. Enter the following command, followed by your admin password when prompted:

sudo spctl --master-disable

Now, relaunch System Preferences and head back to the Gatekeeper settings. You’ll now see that “Anywhere” has been restored. Click the padlock in the lower-left corner to enter your password and make changes, then select “Anywhere” from the list of Gatekeeper options. The security feature will no longer bug you about apps from unidentified developers.

How To Optimize OS X!
Go to system Preferences > Mission Control, untick all check boxes. turn dashboard off (may require log out / log back in)

Go to system preferences > Security & Privacy, Under General > untick all check boxes (may require clicking lock at bottom left of box), fill in bubble on allow apps downloaded from anywhere (now system boots to desktop and auto logs in without needing password) Under Privacy tab > Untick enable location services

Go To system preferences > spotlight, untick all check boxes in search results tab, then go to privacy tab, drag all drives into that tab. This will turn spotlight off, so you can't search, but will make computer faster. If you want to keep search function, don't do this, but if you want faster computer. Turn it all off!

Go to system preferences > notifications, untick everything, then go to notification panel on the top right of screen, and click the grey box at the bottom. Drag any apps with the red icon next to them to the green icon section. That will turn off all notifications for apps (speeds up computer a bit)

Go To System Preferences > Energy Saver, turn display off after: Never (drag bar all the way to right) untick all check boxes, especially untick put hard drives to sleep

Go to System Preferences > Bluetooth, turn bluetooth off (unless you need it then turn bluetooth on)

Go to System Preferences > App Store, untick automatically check for updates

Go to System Preferences > Siri, untick Enable Siri

Thats about the extent of it,
Good luck!!!!

Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.15.47 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.14 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.25 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.35 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.43 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.16.59 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.07 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.26 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.33 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.17.45 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-08-20 at 4.26.36 PM.png

Attachments

• X99_Injector USB 3.kext.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 1,405
Last edited:
I have the exact motherboard and cpu as you have.. but stucked at " service exited with abnormal code".

@alexlj, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard or Make/Model, CPU and Graphics Card.
The Rules said:
Profiles need to contain at least your primary system to assist others with helping you.

Nice guide, thanks!

Would a setup with 2x GTX970 work with High Sierra (or Sierra) ?

Nice guide, thanks!

Would a setup with 2x GTX970 work with High Sierra (or Sierra) ?

I don't see why it wouldn't? I have never used a dual gpu setup. I had a 970 before my 1080ti. I thought about going dual 970 but I decided to just upgrade. You might want to just upgrade to a 1060, 1070, 1070ti, 1080 or 1080ti

Hmm I don't think your power management, turbo boost, sleep/wake, xcpm work with this setup

Power management is working. This why you install NullCPUPowerManagement & VooDooTSCSync 6 Core from multibeast. When you overclock like I do, that overrides turbo boost since your already clocked past the highest that goes, otherwise its probably working as normal. Sleep / Wake work just tested. The issues with power management and x99 were fixed a long time ago I believe. Hasnt been an issue since around osx yosmite / el capitan.

For the record. X99 sucked when it first came out. I bought it only a few months in, and motherboard bios support was horrible. I could not even access the bios if I had any drives formatted for windows connected. (Which destroys the purpose of using it for what its meant for : Windows). I got around this issue by using a pci e sata adapter and connecting my windows drives to that vs plugging directly into the mobo. Aside from that, yes osx had all kinds of issues. It was very difficult to get a fully working system. Also at the time, tonymacx86 site was migrating bootloaders: from chimera to clover, as well. So a lot was going on.

But now, in 2017 its all smooth. Mobo updates really made this board a stable platform. This new install of MacOs high sierra has been one of the smoothest ive ever used. My favorite platforms were 10.6.8 snow leopard, 10.9.5 mavericks and now 10.13 high sierra. Smooth performance and runs great with x99. Highly reccommended.

Power management is working. This why you install NullCPUPowerManagement & VooDooTSCSync 6 Core from multibeast. When you overclock like I do, that overrides turbo boost since your already clocked past the highest that goes, otherwise its probably working as normal. Sleep / Wake work just tested. The issues with power management and x99 were fixed a long time ago I believe. Hasnt been an issue since around osx yosmite / el capitan.

Have you checked the power consumption with Intel Power Gadget?

Have you checked the power consumption with Intel Power Gadget?

Just checked it now! Works perfectly. Idles at around 1.2ghz-2ghz, doing light browsing it will go up to 3.x gigahertz sometimes max out at 4.3. Then as you see on the chart i made it max the cpu at 4.3 (the straight line) then after I went back to idle. look at power consumption goes up and down accordingly. Power management works perfectly in MacOS High Sierra!

powermanagement.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back