Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] HP Z600 High Sierra Installation Guide

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey, I am trying to do the same installation but on a z640 and I get stuck after I click install os from macOS highsierra; it starts in verbose mode and only prints out 5 lines and then gets stuck. these are the lines:

Freeing low memory (up to 0x200000)
Result = 0
OsxAptioFixDrv: Starting overrides for \.IABootFiles\boot.efi
Using reloc block: no, hibernate wake: no
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
_

It would be interesting to see if you got this working on a Z640. I was thinking about trying it on a z640 soon.

Greetings.. is there a hope in the heavens that will allow me to implement Thunderbolt2 with my Z600? Thanks.

Absolutely no idea. I guess you could buy PCI card and find out.

I'll try that right now and see if it helps.

can you explain to me what the drivers section does because It was my understanding that the kernel extensions was the equivalent of drivers in mac as opposed to windows. what is the difference between the ".efi" and ".kext" format and do the kexts start working at boot time or am I supposed to install them to the systems/library/extensions only at post-install after I have finished the whole boot because at this I haven't even been able to boot to the mac install screen so I don't know whether chaning kexts is effective at all.

EDIT: let me just add, it's not that the boot drive has a problem. on my asus laptops that I'm currently using it will boot all the way to the mac install section where I can use terminal, disk utility or install mac os. the problem is that it will not boot only on this particular desktop (HP z640).

Are you saying your USB installer doesn’t boot on the Z640? If so, try the boot method used in the Z600 guide in page 1 of this topic.

I wanted to add a few things that I have found to be true with a Z800 and may also be true with a Z600

The following can be enabled without issue:
- Virtualization (VTx) = Disable
- Virtualization (VT-d2) = Disable

The following can be turned on if you have more drives than SATA ports. NOTE: This will slow down boot time.
- SAS Controller = Hidden

This can be turned on. If you have a sound card or USB sound, it can and should be disabled
- Internal Speaker = Disable

Also, if you have a genuine iMac USB keyboard, you can plug it into any ports but the middle 2 on the back and it will work. Make sure and plug your mouse into the keyboard.

Also, sometimes unpluging and replugging USB devices sometimes is needed until you get everything ironed out.

You don't HAVE to have a PS2 keyboard and mouse just like you can do this with a USB drive instead of a SSD Drive.

Somebody was asking about NVME drives, they should just work, pci-e x4 m.2 NVME adapter, will let you get good performance.

But to boot off NVME, you need to prepare a USB flash drive, and let the HP boot off clover/USB ... I haven't done it, and haven't seen a guide, but that's what I think works fine.

thanks TS for this great guide. When I delete 'AppleHPET.kext' (for usb function) my system reboots/hangs after couple minutes booted in High Sierra. When I keep that file, it does not hang/reboot.. Somebody knows a way to keep AppleHPET and making USB functional?

Ok I'm a total newbie here, on this forum AND on hackintosh-ing, so please be understanding. The guide was perfect with respect to it being the EXACT system I wanted to convert to High Sierra. My main Mac Pro (2,1) I've been using for the past 5 years just bit the biscuit, while I was in the middle of trying to get the Z600 up and running.

On to my question - I've been trying over the past 3 days to get this Drive to boot using your method and instructions. I'm using a 2T SATA drive in a external USB enclosure (to complete all the steps and make it boot-able with the High Sierra installation. After following the steps and unmounting/ejecting the drive I inserted it in the Z600 SATA0 slot (I have another 2T drive in the SATA1 slot/bay which I'll be targeting for the installation. After turning on the system all I get is "Attempting Boot From Hard Drive" and nothing. If I follow all the steps described and use a USB thumb drive, the system boots fine... although fails when it loses the USB just before the installation/setup starts (as expected I believe).

I've double checked that the drive was formatted correctly (GUID) as the first attempt failed due to not doing so correctly. Oh... BIOS is version 3.60, and all settings as per instructions. Tried juggling the boot order as the drives are the same model so tough to figure out which is which. Finally I removed the target drive and left only the boot drive in there... same message "Attempting Boot From Hard Drive", left it for 15 minutes... nada just the cursor flashing.

If anyone out there with a Z600 has any advice no matter how stupid (like I said I'm a newb and therefore could have missed something really simple and obvious for everyone else.)

Thanks!!

Ok actually I modified this post twice. I couldn't find the version r4411 of clover you used, and was using r4586 which is what I got from your link in the post. When I use this I get an error:
This package is incompatible with this version of macOS and may fail to install.
with options to Install Anyway or Cancel Installation.

I then checked around to see if I could get a copy of r4411 (legacy version from this site) which I found but it does not give and ability to change the settings in "Customize" (the button isn't there)... even so still gives the same error r4586 gives. Maybe this is the problem with getting the drive bootable.

Last edited:
Ok I'm a total newbie here, on this forum AND on hackintosh-ing, so please be understanding. The guide was perfect with respect to it being the EXACT system I wanted to convert to High Sierra. My main Mac Pro (2,1) I've been using for the past 5 years just bit the biscuit, while I was in the middle of trying to get the Z600 up and running.

On to my question - I've been trying over the past 3 days to get this Drive to boot using your method and instructions. I'm using a 2T SATA drive in a external USB enclosure (to complete all the steps and make it boot-able with the High Sierra installation. After following the steps and unmounting/ejecting the drive I inserted it in the Z600 SATA0 slot (I have another 2T drive in the SATA1 slot/bay which I'll be targeting for the installation. After turning on the system all I get is "Attempting Boot From Hard Drive" and nothing. If I follow all the steps described and use a USB thumb drive, the system boots fine... although fails when it loses the USB just before the installation/setup starts (as expected I believe).

I've double checked that the drive was formatted correctly (GUID) as the first attempt failed due to not doing so correctly. Oh... BIOS is version 3.60, and all settings as per instructions. Tried juggling the boot order as the drives are the same model so tough to figure out which is which. Finally I removed the target drive and left only the boot drive in there... same message "Attempting Boot From Hard Drive", left it for 15 minutes... nada just the cursor flashing.

If anyone out there with a Z600 has any advice no matter how stupid (like I said I'm a newb and therefore could have missed something really simple and obvious for everyone else.)

Thanks!!

Ok actually I modified this post twice. I couldn't find the version r4411 of clover you used, and was using r4586 which is what I got from your link in the post. When I use this I get an error:
This package is incompatible with this version of macOS and may fail to install.
with options to Install Anyway or Cancel Installation.

I then checked around to see if I could get a copy of r4411 (legacy version from this site) which I found but it does not give and ability to change the settings in "Customize" (the button isn't there)... even so still gives the same error r4586 gives. Maybe this is the problem with getting the drive bootable.

Hi did you figure out what is wrong because I’m having the same problem with my z600, it’s stuck at the Attempting Boot from Hard Drive. If you figured it out please let me know.

@Zakram, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.
The Rules said:
Profiles are mandatory so that others can assist you.

@Zakram, please update your profile (personal details) with your Motherboard, CPU and iGPU or Graphics Card(s).
If you have a prebuilt computer enter make and model instead of motherboard.

Hi @BreBo, I have now updated my profile and yes it’s a prebuilt system being the HP Z600.

thanks TS for this great guide. When I delete 'AppleHPET.kext' (for usb function) my system reboots/hangs after couple minutes booted in High Sierra. When I keep that file, it does not hang/reboot.. Somebody knows a way to keep AppleHPET and making USB functional?

Ensure you don't have any USB peripherals plugged in whilst performing the action. See if that helps. Although it shouldn't reboot like that - I've done it tons of times and never had a reboot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back