Contribute
Register

Success - HP Spectre X360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mixing up KextsToPatch and KernelToPatch is easy though. I think as long as you remove the added code from KernelToPatch, you should be OK. I might recommend looking at RehabMan's starter config.plist file for your device and compare it to what you currently have to ensure something didn't get added by accident.

Also, have you looked at the threads from prior versions of macOS?

For Coffee Lake version (version of Spectre after yours): https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-high-sierra-on-hp-spectre-x360-8th-gen-coffee-lake.251330/

For Kaby Lake version: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...2c-touchscreen-and-pen-working-in-osx.246052/

The Coffee Lake version of the guide, while not for your specific version, is mostly the same as the current process minus the fact that the APFS filesystem is difficult to avoid; it also breaks down the DSDT process pretty effectively. One plus side of this machine is that it's been a Hackintosh guinea pig for a long while now so there's a lot of stuff on the site about it.

You know, back before I was able to boot from SSD, I did grab a copy of the Config.plist from Rehabman's repository. However, during the troubleshooting process I ended up trying to merge / change settings in my futile attempt at getting my system to boot properly.

Thanks for pointing at those two guides. I have seen them and worked through them before. I'll revisit them today and see if I can't get both my trackpad and touchscreen working.

I have my system currently on Mojave with HFS+J (did the clone thing to get around it post install) as I thought that was something holding me back from booting SSD, too. Man, I'm learning so many things about this.

Heads up that I was noticing corruption on my APFS-formatted drive—it wasn't completing Disk Utility runs and I would see occasional freezes during daily use—so I did a Carbon Copy and moved back to HFS+. Saw an increase of about an hour and a half in battery life. If you let it move to APFS, there's you case for switching back.

Unrelated: One thing I sometimes see is the webcam drop out during daily use—like if I let it go to sleep, the webcam will go away, without any rhyme or reason. A reboot fixes but it's inconvenient when I have to do so at the time I'm planning to use the webcam. Is this something other people are seeing? I'll try to do some research on my own and report back.

@ShortFormErnie,

Glad you got it sorted,

Mojave runs very well on my HP Spectre X360, but since I have a very complicated partition map on the 1TB NVMe i decided to stick with HFS+ as the MacOS file system so I use the method of cloning the existing MacOS from the NVMe to a SSD connected to the USB-C port, boot from the clone and install the Mojave update then clone from the USB-C SSD back to the NVMe.

Works great ....

Cheers
Jay
Hi Jay - I wondered if you could describe where your CLOVER install is located.

Hi I have been hacking on a HP X360 Elitebook 1030 G2 model.
I have installed Mojave on a USB HD successfully with Clover installed on the EFI of that drive. I have carbon copied the USB HD install onto a HFS+ partition on my internal NVME2. In installed clover to this partition on the NVME drive.

The machine intially came with Windows 10 so the EFI partition on the NVME2 has a
System\EFI\Windows
System\EFI\Fedora
System\EFI\CLOVER
System\Boot

but when I reboot and choose which UEFI partition to boot from only the Fedora and Windows partitions are listed or the USB HD. Am hoping you or someone else might have some insights on where I am going wrong.

regards

Andrew

Hi Jay - I wondered if you could describe where your CLOVER install is located.

@Calan,

I have Clover installed on the EFI partition of the NVME SSD on my HP Spectre X360 .. so pretty standard.

The only thing special is that I have to use preloader to load Clover otherwise the Spectre's BIOS treats Clover as one of the HP post utilities .. this only seems to be an issue on HP high end laptops (Spectre & Elite X360's) with a touchscreen. If you don't have a touchscreen then you will not need to use the preloader fix.

I also triple boot my HP Spectre X360 laptop with MacOS, Windows 10 (pre installed) & Mint Linux all installed installed on the 1TB NVM .... my partition map looks like this :-

Jay-disk-partition.png

If the Clover bootloader option is not showing up in the BIOS you may need to manually add it as a UEFI entry.

Make sure you have BOOTX64.efi in the /EFI/Boot folder of the EFI partition.

Clover used to have a dedicated menu option to do this but i think it's been removed in more recent versions but you can do it via the EFI shell using the "bcfg boot" command ..

Cheers
Jay

Last edited:
Hi Jay, further to above, I have now have nearly everything working on the HP 1030 G2.
Mojave was installed to the SSD via Carbon Copy cloning. Sound (Internal speakers and headphones), USB-C to DVI graphics, HDMI to DVI graphics. I access wifi using a USB TP Link 823N adaptor.
Brightness via the backlight doesn't work - but I have not attempted to patch DSDT or SSDT tables.

Until this afternoon the USB-C and HDMI ports did not work - KP when cable inserted. I was using the 59160009 Platform ID and 59168086 GPU ID's. I read https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/readme-common-problems-and-workarounds-on-10-14-mojave.255823/ . and changed Platform ID to 19160000 and GPU ID to 19168086, and changed the lilucpu=9 boot flag to lilucpu=8.

Will attach working config.plist for reference.

best regards

Andrew

Attachments

• config.plist
    12.3 KB · Views: 91
Just an update. In the post above I spoofed the CPU id to be Skylake using the lilucpu=8 switch in the boot line of the config.plist. This seemed to work for a while and then something changed and I was back to booting from my external HD version of Mojave. After a few weeks of testing and reading I relooked at rehabman's plist: https://github.com/RehabMan/OS-X-Cl...ster/config_HD615_620_630_640_650_spoof.plist

This plist worked out of the box to boot the 1030 G2 X360 elitebook. The biggest differences between my config and rehabmans was that the platform ID 00001B19 and Device ID 16190000 whereas I had platform ID 00001619 and Device ID 16190000. He also was using the Macbook Pro 13.1 smbios whereas I was using the Macbook 14.1 smbios.

I tweaked my config.plist for to get audio to work and deleted the SSDT-PNLF.aml from my ACPI patched folder and now the following works well.
The kexts in the Other folder are:
ACPIBatteryManager.kext
AppleALC.kext
CodecCommander.kext
FakeSMC.kext
IntelMausiEthernet.kext
Lilu.kext
USBinjectAll.kext
VoodooI2C.kext
VoodooI2CELAN.kext
VoodooI2CHID.kext
VoodooPS2Controller.kext
WhateverGreen.kext

Reliable booting from the internal SSD, using that SSD's EFI partition.
Detection of external Display via the HDMI port when plugged in after the machine has booted to the login prompt (but not before). Unplugging and replugging the external monitor works also - Yay!
The brightness controls finally work!
Internal speakers work but the headphone jack does not - probably needs some other patch...
USB C port works with data - have not tested with the powering of an external display.
Battery level indicator works.
Sleep works.
Wifi works via a USB wifi dongle
Bluetooth works via a USB dongle
Ethernet works via a USB dock.
Unfortunately, using this spoof the Voodoo IC2 drivers do not work to activate the touch screen.

So, I have a separate config.plist that does not use a spoofed CPU ID and using the platform ID 00001B59 and Device ID 1B590000 that identify the Kaby lake class CPU. If I boot the machine using a USB disk's EFI containing the clover installation the machine boots OK.
Using this config.plist I gain the ability to use the touchscreen with finger or pen. The brightness controls work, sound works and the USBC data port works.
However I lose the ability to hotplug using the HDMI port.

Crazily, if I use this config-pen.plist located on the internal drives installation of Clover - the machine boots but the display is dimmed and brightness controls don't work :(. So to use this setup of the machine I boot off a USB stick containing the Clover installation.

Hope this info is helpful to someone :)

Calan

Update - The sound chip on this laptop is the CX8200. Using layout 3 the internal speakers work but not the headphone output. Using layout 21 - the headphone output works!! Kudos to SA1656tw for the layout information.

Attachments

• config_pen.plist
    11.8 KB · Views: 107
  • config.plist
    11.9 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
is anyone able to boot with opencore from internal SSD EFI. I am able to boot with opencore from external USB but it did not work with laptop internal EFI. I tried the Preloaded.efi solution also but no cigar.
Sound and battery indicator did not work with opencore. I stopped trying to make them work as I could not boot with opencore from internal SSD. Sound is probably easy one (just need to find the alc id to use). battery indicator require more work with either hot patch or with using patched DSDT in ACPI (not sure if patched DSDT will work or not)

I used this config with opencore.

Attachments

• config.plist
    19.1 KB · Views: 83
is anyone able to boot with opencore from internal SSD EFI. I am able to boot with opencore from external USB but it did not work with laptop internal EFI. I tried the Preloaded.efi solution also but no cigar.
Sound and battery indicator did not work with opencore. I stopped trying to make them work as I could not boot with opencore from internal SSD. Sound is probably easy one (just need to find the alc id to use). battery indicator require more work with either hot patch or with using patched DSDT in ACPI (not sure if patched DSDT will work or not)

When I get a free chance I’ll try this out. I should note however that I upgraded my SSD to a 2GB NVMe so my mileage may differ from yours. That said, I have not had any problems since switching due to the SSD.

Last edited by a moderator:

I can boot with OpenCore without much hassle, BUT ONLY FROM JUSB. If I copy all files to the internal SSD EFI partition, I can't boot with OpenCore, only from Clover, since the PreLoader.efi doesn't seem to "work" with OpenCore, it only works for Clover. (With OpenCore, I get the Keyboard icon at the top right part of the screen).
Did you manage to move forward this step? Do you have any news/have you tried to boot with OpenCore from internal SSD @jaymonkey ?

I can boot with OpenCore without much hassle, BUT ONLY FROM JUSB. If I copy all files to the internal SSD EFI partition, I can't boot with OpenCore, only from Clover, since the PreLoader.efi doesn't seem to "work" with OpenCore, it only works for Clover. (With OpenCore, I get the Keyboard icon at the top right part of the screen).
Did you manage to move forward this step? Do you have any news/have you tried to boot with OpenCore from internal SSD @jaymonkey ?

I am having the same issue with OpenCore and Clover. I can boot using USB but not with internal SSD. Even with MacOS by itself on the entire SSD (no other OS), booting fails.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back