Contribute
Register

Success - HP EliteBook 8470p Mojave

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a link to the cable, the item I purchased on eBay was the entire upper panel assembly with LCD, camera, and cable attached. It may be easier to buy a broken laptop or one for parts and salvage the screen. FWIW, the 1600x900 matte panel has terrible contrast ratio. Here is one of the panels on eBay, but not the cable: 1600x900 HP 8470p HD+ LCD.

I paid $100 for my i7-3740qm in Dec 2016. I see they are around $80 now.

Hi @phunguss ,

You did the great job and thanks for sharing all the stuffs to us.

May I ask if the internal bluetooth card works well in terms of Airdrop... features? If not, which wifi card integrated with Bluetooth that you recommend for Mojave?

And have you faced the heating problem with i7 3740QM? Mine is getting up to 50-60 C in Idle mode :(. Even I've disabled the Turbo Boost in Windows OS to get it low down a bit with the temperature but it seems too high. So, do you have any solution for it?

And in Mojave, is there any way to disable the Turbo Boost and Undervolt the Ivy Bridge i7 3740QM?

I wish you a very nice day ahead !!!

Hello,

My Wifi card is a DW1510 which is wifi only. The 8470p has its own bluetooth component, and that seems to work fine for me (I don't remember if I needed a kext or patch for the internal BT).

I have had no heat problems that I know of... I put in the i7-3740QM for the extra horsepower, intending the laptop to be used as a desktop replacement. So most of the time I run on cabled power rather than battery, so power consumption and heat are not a problem for me. I did place a couple extra rubber feet on the bottom to make sure I am getting ample airflow. So when I run heavy tasks like Handbrake to transcode video, I will reach near thermal peak of 100C at 3.5GHz, power still around 40W. Yes, hot air comes out the side and the fan is noisy, but that can be expected.

Make sure you have good thermal compound between your heatsink and CPU and let it ride. Did you patch your DSDT/SSDT?

Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 7.50.03 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-11 at 8.00.28 AM.png

Thanks a lot for your prompt response on my questions !!!

I'm planning to make it one by one on my 8470w. It would be very helpful if you can share with us your efi folder on your 8470p. Then I think it would work well with mine.

And have you experienced with you hackintosh and windows with dual boots on 8470p?

I have attached my EFI/Clover folder. There is probably a few things wrong with it, but the Hackintosh does everything I need, so I don't need to fix anything I don't perceive as broken. I tend not to use BT, so I have not tested any extended BT features.

I have never had an SSD on hand and large enough to play with dual boot. Since this is one of the easiest laptops to remove the back (one latch) and swap the drive (3 screws), I just bought an extra tray off ebay and I physically swap the drive if I need windows. 99% of the time, I am running hackintosh.

Attachments

• CLOVER.zip
    2.4 MB · Views: 341
Hi phunguss.

I just managed to install Mojave on my ELitebook 8470p using RehabMan's guide.

I was encouraged by this post, as it took me a few days to get things working I did appreciate the knowledge that it could work. That said, this post is definitely lacking in much technical detail needed to get things working properly, and the approach you describe didn't work on my Elitebook 8470p at all. Thanks for the encouragement tho

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back