Contribute
Register

[Success] High Sierra - 10.13.6 GA-Z97MX Gaming 5, i5-4590, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti [Audio and Video fixes] [May 2020 install with older parts]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
GA-Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5 2500K
Graphics
EVGA GeForce GTX 550ti
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I had two issues the needed solving after complete install. The Audio did not work because the kext for my board no longer works [as of May 2020]. My board uses a Realtek ALC 1150, but instead the latest Universal VoodooHDA v2.9.0d10 will work. I found a tutorial to install it later with KextBeast. So just choose that in Multibeast and it should work.
Next is the graphics card, I have an older unit, a GTX 750 Ti. My understanding is that 10.13 is the last OS that will support Nvidia, and they haven't been natively supported for a while. I had to use the Nvidia Driver manager in 10.11 to load "experimental" drivers. But with 10.13, either Apple or Nvidia make it hard to load the manager. None of the links I found would work, some took me to an Apple page that was trying to "help" me find out what version of OSX I had. If I downloaded from Nvidia direct, I couldn't install the driver manager, it gave me an error and said the 10.13.6 download didn't work with 10.13.6. Finally I found a way to install it via terminal, here is the LINK. When running MB, choose emulated NVRAM.
Recap of my
successful install.
  • Followed standard High Sierra install Guide for "any supported Intel PC".
  • In Unibeast, when making install usb, I choose UEFI boot mode, [the only choice you have to make thus far.]
  • continued following instructions.
  • After initial install, when you get to Multibeast, choose UEFI boot mode under Quick start, Universal/VoodooHDA latest in audio drivers, latest version of Atheros E2200ethernet. Then under bootloaders choose UEFI plus Nvram. Then in customize I checked "Nvidia web drivers boot flag"... don't use "inject NVIDIA", it doesn't work with Kepler or Maxwell based cards.
  • Run MB and you should have everything working, but with poorly refreshing video.
  • Then follow the instructions to install the Nvidia web drivers via Terminal, here is the LINK again.
I'm really happy, I'm up and running with ~5 year old parts.

I had two issues the needed solving after complete install. The Audio did not work because the kext for my board no longer works [as of May 2020]. My board uses a Realtek ALC 1150, but instead the latest Universal VoodooHDA v2.9.0d10 will work. I found a tutorial to install it later with KextBeast. So just choose that in Multibeast and it should work.
Next is the graphics card, I have an older unit, a GTX 750 Ti. My understanding is that 10.13 is the last OS that will support Nvidia, and they haven't been natively supported for a while. I had to use the Nvidia Driver manager in 10.11 to load "experimental" drivers. But with 10.13, either Apple or Nvidia make it hard to load the manager. None of the links I found would work, some took me to an Apple page that was trying to "help" me find out what version of OSX I had. If I downloaded from Nvidia direct, I couldn't install the driver manager, it gave me an error and said the 10.13.6 download didn't work with 10.13.6. Finally I found a way to install it via terminal, here is the LINK. When running MB, choose emulated NVRAM.
Recap of my
successful install.
  • In Unibeast, when making install usb, I choose UEFI boot mode, [the only choice you have to make thus far.]
  • After initial install, when you get to Multibeast, choose UEFI boot mode under Quick start, Universal/VoodooHDA latest in audio drivers, latest version of Atheros E2200ethernet. Then under bootloaders choose UEFI plus Nvram. Then in customize I checked "Nvidia web drivers boot flag"... don't use "inject NVIDIA", it doesn't work with Kepler or Maxwell based cards.
  • Run MB and you should have everything working, but with poorly refreshing video.
  • Then follow the instructions to install the Nvidia web drivers via Terminal, here is the LINK again.
Did you just run the first scrip or did you have to run spffi
Recap of my
successful install.
Did you just run the first script or run specific driver verion?

Did you just run the first scrip or did you have to run spffi

Did you just run the first script or run specific driver verion?

Hi there.

This member hasn't been around for 6-months.

What version of High Sierra are you running? Check the build and then go to our Downloads section and select the matching NVidia driver. There is no need to use the script method any more as happily Nvidia provided drivers for all major versions (except "66") of High Sierra.

:thumbup:

Hi there.

What version of High Sierra are you running? Check the build and then go to our Downloads section and select the matching NVidia driver. There is no need to use the script method any more as happily Nvidia provided drivers for all major versions (except "66") of High Sierra.

I'm on 10.13.6. I was bit confued with witch one to download from the list.

I'm on 10.13.6. I was bit confued with witch one to download from the list.

Bring up "About This Mac" and then mouse-click on the macOS Version no. This will get the build number. Compare this with our downloads. :thumbup:

Hi there.

Sorry its actully macOS 10.13.6 (17G66), how do I update to a new verion on Hight Sierra, this was the one from Mac store?

Sorry its actully macOS 10.13.6 (17G66), how do I update to a new verion on Hight Sierra, this was the one from Mac store?

Okay, go to our macOS Updates forum and pick a later security update for 10.13.6 - so after 9th July 2018. The default on that date was 17G65 (in your case 17G66 which NVidia never built a driver for), so a later one will advance the build number.

Obviously I'd recommend a recent one to match and give you all the Security Updates.

And obviously again - back-up, back-up, back-up before doing anything major. :thumbup:

Okay, go to our macOS Updates forum and pick a later security update for 10.13.6 - so after 9th July 2018. The default on that date was 17G65 (in your case 17G66 which NVidia never built a driver for), so a later one will advance the build number.

Obviously I'd recommend a recent one to match and give you all the Security Updates.

And obviously again - back-up, back-up, back-up before doing anything major. :thumbup:
I just ran Security Update 2020-005 on off the update link you sent and nothing changed and I also ran the one off the app story and nothing change. Have I done something wrong on the restart? The new clover I'm running for this new boot if differant to the one for my old Yosmite drive. Sorr for all the qusetions!

Have I done something wrong on the restart?
When the system restarts make sure that it boots from the drive with 'Install' in the title in the Clover boot menu.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back