Motherboard
Gigabyte Z77X-D3H
CPU
Intel Core i7-3770K
Graphics
MSI GTX 970
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
As a video-editor, who doesn't want to spend thousands of euro's on a real powerfull Mac Pro, I started building my hackintosh a couple of years ago... Decided to upgrade to from Yosemite to Sierra and made my new USB stick with Unibeast. This finally introduced me to Clover, and what a difference it is! Booted right away to the Installation, without boot flags... which wasn't the point with Chameleon back then.

Hardware:
Power supply: Sharkoon WPM500 Bronze
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z77X-D3H Rev 1.0
Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1333mz (4 x 4GB)
Intel Core i7-3770K Processor
MSI GTX 970
Shitload of harddrives (5,1 TB - Seagate, WD, Samsung)
NI Komplete Audio 6

Installation:
Load optimized defaults in the BIOS.. boot to USB.
Formatted the drive to Mac OS (Journaled) using the GPT partition style, named it "Sierra" and started the installation.. Was done within 15 minutes, gotta love that.
Boot with the Unibeast USB again and select the disk you installed Sierra on.

I had MultiBeast on a separate USB and installed it with the following settings:
- Quick start: UEFI Boot Mode
- Disk: 3rd Party SATA
- Disk: FakeSMC (+ plugins and HW monitor)
- USB: 3rd Party USB 3.0
- USB: 7/8/9 Series USB support (don't even know if it's necessasry)
- USB: Increase Max Port Limit
- System definition: Mac Pro 5,1

Install & reboot.. should work without USB now.. (forgot if it really did though)

Had Kext Utility and the right kext to get my internet connection running on a separate usb and installed it.
The kext that works for is this one: http://www.osx86.net/files/file/1777-atherosl1cethernetkext/
After a reboot the ethernet connection works like a charm.

Now I had to get the right drivers for my GTX 970.. because everything was sloppy as hell.
The NVIDIA web driver helped me out: http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/107807/en-us

After installing the web driver and rebooting I was ready to go.
My Komplete Audio 6 external soundcard worked out of the box, so that's one less worry :)

Video-editors notice:
Also installed the NVIDIA Cuda software... software like Adobe After Effects, and Premiere really need them. A lot of errors and crashes without the CUDA driver and using CUDA as render method.
Here's the CUDA driver: http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

Working with a lot of 6k footage right now and it's stable and fast, even from a external hard drive!

------------------------

I do still notice that it is a CustoMac though... Sometimes both my screen just fades to black for a second and then it comes back, but this rarely happens.. still better than spending way too much on a real Mac Pro in my opinion.

I think this is my most stable build since 2013, so I hope I somebody can use this information :)

Last edited:
What version Clover are you running, and do you have iMessage working? Reason I ask is because I'm having trouble upgrading my version of Clover to the latest so that I can follow the Sierra upgrade guide via app store. I can't even download the software via app store (I suspect it has to do with Clover not injecting my system definition properly.) We have similar hardware.

What version Clover are you running, and do you have iMessage working? Reason I ask is because I'm having trouble upgrading my version of Clover to the latest so that I can follow the Sierra upgrade guide via app store. I can't even download the software via app store (I suspect it has to do with Clover not injecting my system definition properly.) We have similar hardware.

Clover Configurator tells me that it's version 3766. It's a little bit older as I see that version 3974 is available to download, but I don't see any reason to update if everything works just fine.. When I was on Yosemite I had this problem too. Changed the system definition to a newer model (forgot which one) and that made downloading from Sierra available from the App Store, without errors.

I don't really use iMessage, so did not yet try to fix it haha. Maybe later..

Did you get (optical) audio working. I'm still on El Capitan, Because I couldn't find the correct KEXT files to get audio working on Sierra

Did you get (optical) audio working. I'm still on El Capitan, Because I couldn't find the correct KEXT files to get audio working on Sierra

I'm using an external soundcard (NI Komplete Audio 6) so I did not tried this out..

@melvinm14 Thanks for posting this. I was content with having el capitan on my hack until it dies. Used your guide and got my machine upgraded.

@fabianvzwol I found this repo that goes through the installation process along with adding the right kexts. There's also a guide for the audio codecs

What LAN driver did you use?

I tried all 3 athero drivers available in Multiboot and none of them worked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back