Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5, i7 4790k, 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, Onboard Graphics Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
there are so many variables that it can be rather frustrating to trouble shoot. good to hear you've solved it.
make notes of the steps you had to make for future reference.

glad I could help!

Hi,

I have this motherboard too and I got some problems.
So here are my parts:
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
Core i7 4790
Kingston HyperX Predator 2x4 GB 1866 XMP
ASUS GeForce GTX760 DC2 OC 2GB
Intel 520 120 GB SSD

I've created the USB install media as in this guide but using clover r3142.
Unfortunately I get stuck with the spinning ball after booting from USB. I don't get the instalation wizard.

Does anybody experienced this?

Thank You.

Hi,

I have this motherboard too and I got some problems.
So here are my parts:
Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5
Core i7 4790
Kingston HyperX Predator 2x4 GB 1866 XMP
ASUS GeForce GTX760 DC2 OC 2GB
Intel 520 120 GB SSD

I've created the USB install media as in this guide but using clover r3142.
Unfortunately I get stuck with the spinning ball after booting from USB. I don't get the instalation wizard.

Does anybody experienced this?

Thank You.

Have you tried another USB stick? I haven't done this work with r3142, but don't see why you would have an issue. Another thing to try would be to boot a real mac with the USB stick to see if it's not the installer that was made.

Side note, I am running 10.10.2 on this configuration and am happy to report that bluetooth started working again. My Apple-branded keyboard and trackpad are working very well.

First of all, allgreyare, thanks for the guide!
I recently decided to reinstall my Yosemite install with Clover and not Chimera/Multibeast.
I'm having a few troubles I couldn't fix by reading this thread or googling.
Using
cloverALC_v1.0.4 I get to the final installation screen in the terminal, and everything seems to work okay. I don't get the working dsdt/dsdt hdmi audio (y/n) prompt, but I guess something has changed in the newer versions.
The problems start at this note for 1150 in the readme file:

Code:
  F. 1150 only: edit config.plist/KernelAndKextPatches/KextsToPatch/
       10.9 or 10.10/AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150"
    1. Clover Configurator/Property List Editor/Replace/
       a. Before: <09ec10>
       b. After: <0009ec10>
    2. TextEdit/Replace
       a. Before: CewQ
       b. After: AAnsEA==

"t1-10.9-10.10-AppleHDA/Realtek ALC1150" is already set to "0009ec10" for me, and the sound is kind of working, however, it's earrape, but the sounds are there.

Thanks in advance

EDIT: So after about 30 minutes of "earrapy" sound, it suddenly started working - weird.
EDIT 2: After a few reboots one of which involved booting Windows 8, the sound got earrapy again, I guess I'll have to go to toleda's​ thread now
EDIT 3: So I haven't really done anything with audio, but I did make sound after sleep and sleep itself work.
Sound after sleep/wake: I used this guide linked in the "official" tread by toleda
Sleep: I'm not sure if it worked originally (pretty sure it just turned off the monitor, like OP mentioned), but it seems to work fine.

Again, Thank you AllGreyArea! Your post was what I pretty much followed step by step & have had a 95% functioning Hackintosh for about a month now.

The only issue that plagues me(and is literally driving me insane), is I believe I have a power management issue. I noticed when doing large imports to iPhoto that HWMonitor would report excessively high temperatures(85-95C). I thought, well, I am using a mATX case, so maybe I should replace the stock 4790K cooler with a closed loop Corsair H80i. I did & has had zero effect.

The weirdness comes in when I used VMWare Fusion in order to configure the H80i through Windows, to hopefully spin up the pump & fans on the CPU cooler. The H80i has a temperature sensor & reports back in the low 30's(see photo), but HWMonitor in OSX reports back the 85-90(photo). I have tried, twice, reseating the cooler & applying more arctic silver paste, to no avail.

I have a feeling it is a power management issue & reporting false temperatures, because Windows seems to report proper temperatures, I can feel little, if any, heat coming off the coolers' fans.

Any assistance or direction anyone could provide would be so greatly appreciated. I've been racking my brain over this for weeks & can't figure out which direction to head to fix this one.

Thanks!

EDIT:

After doing a LOT of digging, there are numerous people on Intel's forums experiencing issues with this specific motherboard & the i7-4790K. Appears to be an issue on Gigabyte's side with the mobo giving the processor too much wattage during Turbo.

Easy fix? In the bios change the setting for power limit during Turbo to 86W(or whatever you find gives you best temperatures) from 88W. It was that easy & now can run Prime95 without hitting over 75C.

Attachments

• IMG_0554.JPG
    IMG_0554.JPG
    113.3 KB · Views: 207
Hi again,

Thank you for the guide.
My problem was related to Fake SMC. I accidentally copied the zip file instead of kext (dumb me).

I've got it working now and I'm very happy with the results.
I've also managed to get TRIM working and use the XMP profile that I need.
How can you tell if the CPU lowers the frequency when it's idle?

Thank You.

Download Intel Power Gadget. It'll give you a lot of info on power, frequency, turbo, temps, etc. I also found the temperatures reported by Intel Power Gadget were more in line with what were likely real temps, whereas HWMonitor was all over the place...

Hey do you have your second monitor working yet? I also have the same problem. I use the onboard graphics on my 4790k on a GA-Z97X-UD3H board, do you have a solution?

Thanks in advance!
Westar

I have the same rig as the OP except I have a video card and an i5 4690 processor and a UHD monitor. (Samsung U28D590D)

I am pleased with the install save for two issues:

1. I wanted to reply to this post particularly because I have been experiencing a similar situation--waking up and finding my screen at the Clover boot menu. I always put my computer to sleep, but it seems to wake up at odd times. Sometimes I can see from the verbose boot that there has been a kernel panic. When I get back to Yosemite, it will say something like "your computer restarted because of a graphics problem: Ignore or Report." What might be causing this issue and how can I resolve it?

2. Audio does not come back after waking from sleep. Is there any resolution to this problem yet? I used toleda's ALC-100 command.

UHD works great through displayport. Graphics card was recognized OOB--I only had to deselect inject Intel graphics in Clover Configurator. iMessage not working but I don't need it.

A general question: What bios settings should I be using, given my slight differences in build? I am not sure about XMP Profile 1 versus disabled. Which setting will make the rig more stable? I would like to eventually dual-boot windows.

Have a Probook on Yosemite using Clover that is tight as a drum. Thought the desktop would be even easier, but it isn't (so far)!

UPDATE 2/12/15: got sleep to work perfectly by checking the boxes for generate P and C states in clover configurator. Can't get headphone line out to produce audio after wake, but this doesn't matter because I use optical audio output anyway. Disabled turbo boost in bios so now the processor runs cooler. Intel Power Gadget is very useful. Only thing now to fix is USB 3.0. The download speeds are running more like USB 2.0. Anyone else face and overcome this problem? Or have any suggestions?

I don't think you really need to disable Turbo Boost. If you see my above post, there are some issues on this Gigabyte board with power management during Turbo. If you go into your bios & change the setting from Auto/88, to something like 87, should fix the issue. At least it did for me... Best of luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back