Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Z97MX-Gaming 5, i7 4790k, 16 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3, Onboard Graphics Using Clover

Status
Not open for further replies.
After two years of postponing updates, I upgraded this build from 10.10 to 10.12 last night. Truthfully there wasn't a lot that excited me about 10.12, but I wanted to be able to install the up-to-date NVidia web drivers to prepare for replacing my GTX 760 with a GTX 980 soon, and I figured that leaping from 10.10 all the way up to 10.13 or 14 in a few years would be far more likely to be fraught with problems I wouldn't be able to easily find help with, so I wanted to get it over with.

I did a bunch of prepwork ahead of time, backing up the EFI and anywhere else that kexts could be hiding, checking for newer versions of the kexts I had in EFI to hopefully avoid old-version compatibility issues, and making sure my backup drive was bootable in case of a disaster.

In the end, everything went pretty smoothly! Preparing ahead of time definitely paid off.

I had to reinstall Clover with OsxAptio2FixDrv instead of OsxAptioFixDrv to get the installer to boot (it had been spitting out an OsxAptioFixDrv-related memory allocation error), and after the install finished I had to run the Clover audio fix script. That was pretty much it, everything else just worked. I think I may have used Multibeast for audio the first time around, before I had any idea what I was doing, so that might explain why it needed to be fixed again after the upgrade. Either way, it turned out to be pretty straightforward.

Actually, the biggest problem I had wasn't related to my hackintosh setup at all: my Western Digital USB backup drive wasn't being recognized under macOS 10.12, which was pretty worrying for a while, but getting WD's drivers and telling it to install all of them fixed it. Got it fixed before I left for work this morning, so even that wasn't too much of a hassle I suppose!

Last edited:
Can anyone assist in installing Mavericks using CLOVER on this board with on-board graphics please. I can install El Capitan and Sierra but not Mavericks.

GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5
i7 4790k
32 GB RAM
1 TB Samsung SSD
8 TB RAID 0 Seagate 4 TB x 2
On-board Graphics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back