Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Z590 VISION D + 11700K + RX 6600 XT

To confirm, there is no way to get thunderbolt working on this board? I want to use a couple of thunderbolt displays. If there is no way to get the thunderbolt ports on the board working, is there an add in card anyone recommends? I'm not having too much luck with an old Asus Thunderbolt 2 card I was previously using in a Mac Pro 4.1. It literally worked once and then after a reboot it's like it's not even recognized in the PCI slot. Will test in windows later.
What works
  • Sleep and Wake (SASMegaRAID.kext disables sleep by default. If you have no SAS controller, remove the kext for sleep and wake to function correctly)
  • USB - Custom USB port mapping
  • Sound is native
  • iMessage
  • The onboard Intel AX210 WiFi+BT card is removed and changed with BCM94360NG. So I have native WiFi and Bluetooth with Handoff and AirDrop
  • Thunderbolt is working thanks to the provided DMAR in the community, but no hot plug. I have tested an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter and it connects on cold boot or restart only. However the hot plug does not work in Windows. I think it is MB firmware issue.

What works
  • Sleep and Wake (SASMegaRAID.kext disables sleep by default. If you have no SAS controller, remove the kext for sleep and wake to function correctly)
  • USB - Custom USB port mapping
  • Sound is native
  • iMessage
  • The onboard Intel AX210 WiFi+BT card is removed and changed with BCM94360NG. So I have native WiFi and Bluetooth with Handoff and AirDrop
  • Thunderbolt is working thanks to the provided DMAR in the community, but no hot plug. I have tested an Apple Thunderbolt to Ethernet Adapter and it connects on cold boot or restart only. However the hot plug does not work in Windows. I think it is MB firmware issue.

Unfortunately mine isn't working. I've used the same bios settings and I have an IGPU. Is it because there is no IGPU support? if so that makes sense.

What works

Unfortunately mine isn't working. I've used the same bios settings and I have an IGPU. Is it because there is no IGPU support? if so that makes sense.
correct, no support for RocketLake GPU

but your hardware profile says "Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB + XFX RX570 4GB"

correct, no support for RocketLake GPU

but your hardware profile says "Sapphire Pulse RX580 8GB + XFX RX570 4GB"
Okay, well if not Rocket Lake IGPU Support = No thunderbolt displays my question has been answered. It's my only use for the thunderbolt port.

And yes, I am running dual GPUs with a 10 display setup but unfortunately 2 of the displays are thunderbolt and the rest are Apple Cinema Displays. Long story short I'm replacing the two thunderbolt displays with Apple Cinema displays, therefore no need for the thunderbolt port in MacOS. I'll never buy a Thunderbolt (only) display again.

Any PCIe card you can recommend? Maple Ridge, Titan Ridge or the Asus card by chance?

Okay, well if not Rocket Lake IGPU Support = No thunderbolt displays my question has been answered. It's my only use for the thunderbolt port.

And yes, I am running dual GPUs with a 10 display setup but unfortunately 2 of the displays are thunderbolt and the rest are Apple Cinema Displays. Long story short I'm replacing the two thunderbolt displays with Apple Cinema displays, therefore no need for the thunderbolt port in MacOS. I'll never buy a Thunderbolt (only) display again.

Any PCIe card you can recommend? Maple Ridge, Titan Ridge or the Asus card by chance?
not used one myself but there are a couple in the buyer's guide:

I have an EFI for this board with the 11900K.

I use CPUFriend because one of the OpenCore devs at the time posted that the power tables ruin performance, and he provided tables that didn't. That being said, I don't know if this is still an issue.

More info on that: https://github.com/dortania/bugtracker/issues/190

DMAC/DMAR were things worked on in CaseySJ's z390 Designare thread to get AppleVTD working without it messing up networking. Having this enabled helps some Thunderbolt devices work.

GPRW/USBW help with devices waking up, especially USB. A side effect is that you'll have to use the power button to wake. You might not need them, but some people have coolers or bluetooth that wake their device.

HPET stuff was gained from running SSDTTime and is not strictly necessary.
Mind sharing your efi? I just swapped in a 6900xt and I'm running into all sorts of issues.

Edit: Nevermind, turned out to be the quad channel 128GB RAM I installed. Swapped back in the 64GB and the computer finally stopped crashing during Monterey Install.

Last edited:
Hi, this is my first post to this board. I'm really grateful for the contributions everyone has made.
And especially, I appreciate Tsanko's work, and the willingness to share!

I am trying to use your OC 0.7.7 config. I'm attaching my config.plist .
I have almost the same hardware, though different graphics and NVMe models.
I've made some appropriate changes to your config, and for this upload have obscured my s/n, etc.
I have this hardware:
  • Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
  • Firmware F7
  • Intel i9-11900k
  • G.Skill 128GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon W7000 graphics card 4GB
  • WD SN850 2TB NVMe for boot (OS) disk in the PCIe Gen 4 slot
  • |==== WD SN750 2TB NVMe
  • Fusion drive 10TB ==|
  • |==== WD Black 8TB WD8001FZBX-00ASYA0 spinning hard drive
  • (Fusion drive is used for user files, not OS)
  • another WD SN850 2TB which is the target for installing Monterey onto
  • FL11000 USB PCIe

This hardware has been running Big Sur 11.6.5 with no problems.
I am trying to install Monterey.

First, I made only the necessary changes to Tsanko's config (s/n, MLB, UUID).
Not successful. Will boot OC, then into "Install macOS Monterey". I can use
DiskUtility to erase the target volume. No problem.
Start the Installer. It runs for about 8 minutes or so (starts at 17 minutes remaining, then down to 12 minutes,
and sits there for a few minutes), then it suddenly reboots. It does write to the target volume,
but the installed image is not complete and cannot be used.

I've now used OpenCore Configurator's Config Checker, and made the changes it
recommended. (Changes made manually with text editor, since I've experienced OCC adding
incorrect lines/config).

I have tried many variations, and other things to get it working, but it always seems to have the same
behavior as described above, no matter what I do.

Please note that the Fusion drive is NOT involved in this installation, but the hardware is in the
system and is used for Big Sur. I am trying to install Monterey to a 2nd WD SN850 . I am not trying
to over-write the Big Sur boot/OS disk.

I need help. I have attached my config.plist . Can someone check it out?

Many many thanks!

Attachments

• config.plist
    37.4 KB · Views: 37
@tsanko.dimitrov : I have change my audio device to a old Samsung sounder connected via optical cable.
If play audio via optical output I don't get the volume control in macOS.

Does volume control works in your configuration?
I have compared our configs and copied the Device Properties entry "Audio" (the pic path is the same for my system). Further I also have installed AppleALC.kext.
@tsanko.dimitrov: After some information search I have found many discussions about these theme.
Its not native possible to control digital volume under macOS. (optical)
That's okay - I control the volume via the remote from my soundbar. For my setup its the better solution than 3,5 inch aux, because by using optical cable my sounder turns on automatically by get input.

If I play more than 30 minutes sound on my soundar via optical cable it goes into a sound bug. (YouTube, Apple Music) After switching the sound device in Mac OS to headphones and directly back to optical output the sound works great for the next 30 minutes.

Please can anyone check if you have the same issue by using optical cable?

@tsanko.dimitrov: After some information search I have found many discussions about these theme.
Its not native possible to control digital volume under macOS. (optical)
That's okay - I control the volume via the remote from my soundbar. For my setup its the better solution than 3,5 inch aux, because by using optical cable my sounder turns on automatically by get input.

If I play more than 30 minutes sound on my soundar via optical cable it goes into a sound bug. (YouTube, Apple Music) After switching the sound device in Mac OS to headphones and directly back to optical output the sound works great for the next 30 minutes.

Please can anyone check if you have the same issue by using optical cable?
shouldn't be needed:
Rename HDAS to HDEF (Audio)

remove the comments from:
Code:
<key>PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x1F,0x3)</key>
            <dict>
                <key>AAPL,slot-name</key>
                <string>Built In</string>
                <key>device_type</key>
                <string>Audio Device</string>
<!--
                                <key>layout-id</key>
                                <integer>1</integer>
-->
                <key>hda-gfx</key>
                <string>onboard-1</string>
                <key>model</key>
                <string>Tiger Lake-H HD Audio Controller</string>

remove from boot-arg:
alcid=1

try all id's from:
reset nvram on each trial

Hi, this is my first post to this board. I'm really grateful for the contributions everyone has made.
And especially, I appreciate Tsanko's work, and the willingness to share!

I am trying to use your OC 0.7.7 config. I'm attaching my config.plist .
I have almost the same hardware, though different graphics and NVMe models.
I've made some appropriate changes to your config, and for this upload have obscured my s/n, etc.
I have this hardware:
  • Gigabyte Z590 Vision D
  • Firmware F7
  • Intel i9-11900k
  • G.Skill 128GB RAM
  • AMD Radeon W7000 graphics card 4GB
  • WD SN850 2TB NVMe for boot (OS) disk in the PCIe Gen 4 slot
  • |==== WD SN750 2TB NVMe
  • Fusion drive 10TB ==|
  • |==== WD Black 8TB WD8001FZBX-00ASYA0 spinning hard drive
  • (Fusion drive is used for user files, not OS)
  • another WD SN850 2TB which is the target for installing Monterey onto
  • FL11000 USB PCIe

This hardware has been running Big Sur 11.6.5 with no problems.
I am trying to install Monterey.

First, I made only the necessary changes to Tsanko's config (s/n, MLB, UUID).
Not successful. Will boot OC, then into "Install macOS Monterey". I can use
DiskUtility to erase the target volume. No problem.
Start the Installer. It runs for about 8 minutes or so (starts at 17 minutes remaining, then down to 12 minutes,
and sits there for a few minutes), then it suddenly reboots. It does write to the target volume,
but the installed image is not complete and cannot be used.

I've now used OpenCore Configurator's Config Checker, and made the changes it
recommended. (Changes made manually with text editor, since I've experienced OCC adding
incorrect lines/config).

I have tried many variations, and other things to get it working, but it always seems to have the same
behavior as described above, no matter what I do.

Please note that the Fusion drive is NOT involved in this installation, but the hardware is in the
system and is used for Big Sur. I am trying to install Monterey to a 2nd WD SN850 . I am not trying
to over-write the Big Sur boot/OS disk.

I need help. I have attached my config.plist . Can someone check it out?

Many many thanks!
Can you post a link to the RAM you are using? I’ve had issues with finding compatible 128GB.

Back