Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte Z490M Gaming X - i9 10850K - RX580 - OpenCore 0.9.1 4k - Ventura 13.3.1 - Video Editing

Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z490M Gaming X
CPU
i9-10850K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. iMac
  2. MacBook Pro
  3. Mac Pro
Classic Mac
  1. eMac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Afuera's Gigabyte Z490m Giman X Hackintosh (Video Editing FCPX and Adobe Suite Machine)
*UPDATED TO OPENCORE 0.8.5 Monterrey 12.6

Gigabyte Z490m Gaming X - i9-10850K - AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB

IMG_2474.jpg

Components:
Screen Shot 2021-02-07 at 15.09.14.png

Comments:
Believe me, I was scared of switching from Clover to a completely "unknown world" of OpenCore. With this build I Updated/replaced my Ga-X56a-Ud5 Intel Xeon W3680 (6 cores) Hack from 2010. I wanted a not too expensive upgrade and to be able to have a fast stable machine to edit FCPX 4k video, Photos and Design. Something more powerful than my imac i9-9900K 2019 and a m1 Apple Mini.

Reading and trying to understand OpenCore took me a couple of weeks and I thought it was going to be a long process with many tries. But this end up being a less than a day project of understanding and doing it... It was completely worth it and easy. WHAT A CHANGE! Everything works as expected and this machine is faster than my 2019 Imac!

BIOS:
Disable:
  • Fast Boot
  • Secure Boot
  • VT-d (can be enabled if you set DisableIoMapper to YES)
  • CSM
  • CFG Lock (MSR 0xE2 write protection)(This must be off, if you can't find the option then enable both AppleCpuPmCfgLock and AppleXcpmCfgLock under Kernel -> Quirks. Your hack will not boot with CFG-Lock enabled)
Enable:
  • VT-x
  • Above 4G decoding
  • Hyper-Threading
  • Execute Disable Bit
  • EHCI/XHCI Hand-off
  • OS type: Windows10
  • DVMT Pre-Allocated(iGPU Memory): 64MB
  • SATA Mode: AHCI
  • Primary Graphics Adapter: PCIE
  • Share Memory: 64MB
  • IGPU Multi-Monitor: Enabled (this keeps the iGPU enabled even when a graphics card is detected)

Installation Notes:
I chose this parts because I read on the forums that they are really compatible to run MacOS. This Motherboard/CPU/GPU/WIFI combo work with almost any tweaking. The process was really easy.

Installation:

Dortania's Guide
made this process posible. Follow this, is long (for some is new) but it is super detailed, clear and easy to follow. https://dortania.github.io/OpenCore-Install-Guide/

USB MAP had to be mapped again after
USB MAPS.jpg

Once you have Downloaded BIGSUR, created a bootable USB, Edited the EFI, added the EFI (you can use mine attached IF YOU HAVE THE SAME MOTHERBOARD/GPU/CPU will have no issues) in the installing USB.

Insert the USB you have created following the Dortania's Guide, at the boot picker chose "instal...mac os.." wait until the installer, watch the verbose mode run through... and wait for the installer menu, Format you SSD m.2 with disk utility (m.2 should be GUID partition Scheme and APFS). Install and wait for the first RESTAR, after the first Restart pick "Your disc name" on the boot menu and not the "Installer... macOS..." the installation will continue, then it will restart again, some more verbose and patience and the Boom you are in. Don't freak out with the 2-3 restarts the process does.

macos-big-sur-installer copy.jpg

Post Installation:
After the installation, the Post installation is incredibly easy, basically: Mount you USB EFI, copy your USB´s EFI (with all your opencore work) and place it on the desktop. Eject the USB´s EFI and then mount your system EFI, copy the EFI folder to you System's EFI. That's it.

UPDATE 09/23/2021
* Big Sur 11.6 update. I updated OpenCore to 0.7.3 and Updated to Bigsur 11.6 Through System Update.

UPDATE 05/19/2021
* Big Sur 11.3.1 update breaks USB on Gigabyte Z490m Giman X. I updated and mapped my USB ports again. Added USBPorts.kext in config.plist.

UPDATE 02/03/2022
* Big Sur 11.6.2 updated through System Preference as a normal Mac would after UPDATE OpenCore 0.7.7 with udated KEXTs

UPDATE 10/15/2022
* Update to Monterrey with OpenCore to 0.8.5 and Through System Update like a normal mac.

UPDATE 04/25/2023
* Update to Ventura with OpenCore to 0.9.1 and Through System Update like a normal mac.

EFI IS UPDATED TO OpenCore 0.9.1

Summary:

Screen Shot 2022-10-15 at 10.25.29.png

Running OpenCore 0.9.1 on VENTURA 13.3.1

This build is fast and reliable enough to be my main Editing/Working machine. No complaints whatsoever, not too fancy, not too expensive and with that fluidity of a powerful built that allows you concentrate on your creativity.

What Works:
  • Ethernet via IntelMausi.kext
  • Intel onboard audio
  • GPU: Hardware Acceleration
  • Airdrop
  • Imessagge/Facetime/Icloud
  • Sleep / Wake / Shutdown
  • Wifi / BT
  • USB3.2 / USBC / FRONT USB3 at full speed
  • Dual Monitor
  • SSD m.2
What Does Not Work:

Can't find anything really

Benchinfo.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Why not use Bluetooth built into the Fenvi card?

Afuera's Gigabyte Z490m Gaming X Hackintosh (Video Editing FCPX and Adobe Suite Machine)
Gigabyte DZ490m Gaming X - i9-10850K - AORUS Radeon RX 580 8GB​
...​
Hi, OP,

I have Catalina installed successfully. But the Ethernet can't be recoganized. I have the IntelMausi.kext in the kext folder as well.

What did I do wrong ?

Attachments

• config.plist
    15 KB · Views: 245
  • EFI.rar
    1.6 MB · Views: 269
Hi, OP,

I have Catalina installed successfully. But the Ethernet can't be recoganized. I have the IntelMausi.kext in the kext folder as well.

What did I do wrong ?
Hello, maybe you can update to the new "IntelMausi.kext" the EFI and config.plist you attached have the "IntelMausiEthernet.kext" your config.plist is very different to mine. I don´t use the FakePCIID.kext either.

Last edited:
Yes, you are right. I went through the guide and make one myself. It's all working now.

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, you are right. I went through the guide and make one myself. It's all working now.

Thanks for your reply.
What did you do to get it working? I am new at this and have internet connection but cannot connect, plus my VRAM is only reading 7Mb... can you help?

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    12 MB · Views: 227
  • config.plist
    26.4 KB · Views: 216
First, go to https://opencore.slowgeek.com/ to check your config.plist. I checked. Most of them are fine. There are some fields you might want to look into it.

"have internet connection but cannot connect" -- do you mean you don't get IP address?

First, go to https://opencore.slowgeek.com/ to check your config.plist. I checked. Most of them are fine. There are some fields you might want to look into it.

"have internet connection but cannot connect" -- do you mean you don't get IP address?
I checked that and everything was green"good to go". Yes ,I do not get an IP address. I have to enter it manually then it says connected but I cannot get online, says no internet connection.. On my old 2009 iMac it gives me a router options where my PC install does not

This sounds like a post installation software issue. Can you share the screen of your network panel?

This sounds like a post installation software issue. Can you share the screen of your network panel?
is this what you want to see?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.09.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.09.33 AM.png
    96.7 KB · Views: 414
  • Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.08.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-02-15 at 9.08.47 AM.png
    106.7 KB · Views: 410
Back