Contribute
Register

[Success] Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite - Catalina 10.15.7 - OpenCore 0.7.9

Status
Not open for further replies.
sounds like a usb issue

try all usb ports on your machine, make sure to use a usb2.0 drive

then do this after installation:
Looks like a great link. That may get me a step closer to being able to do this on another hackintosh. Thanks.

Where does your install fail? If it fails very early, saying something like it cannot read the kernel, then for me that was the OpenHFsPlus.efi driver. That is the driver I assumed was the one I wanted, since it was included with the OpenCore 0.7.6 zip file.

Yes. I have HfsPlus.efi loaded and confirmed in the plist now. That's what got it past the initial errors

But I realized that what was happening was that the boot loader could not read the filesystem on the USB drive. So, I went and found the HFsPlus.efi driver that is not in the OpenCore zip file and then everything booted right up. So try that next.

The install failed about halfway through the initial file copy portion. I thought it was video initialization. But, I'm using a 5700XT, which usually doesn't require any special steps. I have tried adgpmod=pikera and also without the ppikera argument.

Then if that isn't the problem, as in it's not failing to boot right off the bat, then carefully double check your BIOS settings. I mean CAREFULLY. That also happened to me. For some weird reason, the "Other OS" setting had reverted to "Windows OS".

I was under the impression that "Windows OS" was the recommended setting this motherboard. But, I will try "Other OS". Do you recall where you found that recommendation?

I'll post my EFI folder, but I just generated a random iMac20,2 SMBIOS, it's up to you to insure it's unique or generate your own per the opencore instructions, which I HIGHLY RECOMMEND. I use the boot-args flag required for the Radeon RX6800XT, "agdpmod=pikera", which apparently you need as well providing you are using the RX5700XT Nitro listed in your profile. So if this EFI does not boot your computer, look carefully at the BIOS settings.

Thanks a lot! I have my own SMBIOS data generated and 'validated'. I'm using iMac 20,1 SMBIOS since I am now using a 10700K. I boxed up the 11700K and will use it on my 'ProZee' Z590 build once this one is done.

On the matter of creating your own USBMap kext, while the methods were really straightforward using the Opencore recommended tools, they just gave random results on Monterey because the USBInjectAll kext and port limit setting does not work. Also, it took me a while (several hours) to understand the logic behind the USBMap_All kext the original poster provided. But it did start to make sense. I simply took a diagram of the motherboard from the manual, which lists the USB controllers on the board and the header connections and slowly it started to make sense. I was under the impression that you mapped each individual port, but that is not the case. If you map a USB controller to a HSxx resource, all of a sudden all the USB 2.0 ports on that controller work. So, as you read through his "USBMap_All" kext, by opening the kext by right clicking it and selecting "show package contents", then go to that folder and load the Info.plist into ProperTree, you'll see that you can select and reorder and rename ONLY, each resource and choose the ports you want. That took me a long time to get to that point. I just followed my nose and it worked.

What I do not know, and anyone still feel free to point me to a guide, is how to actually discover how the ports are laid out and id their resource from the DSDT handed to the OS by the BIOS (I think that's how it works). I can do it using a standalone USBView under windows, but I certainly don't want to install Windows everytime I install a new motherboard (I only use Windows when forced). Then once discovered, how do you get from that to the USBMap_All kext provided by the original poster? That is what I am still missing.
In the past, I have only used the hackintool 'one-by-one' approach of mapping USB ports. Creating an aml and compiling it locally. My MasterZee build was mapped using the 'usual' method of that time, to identify each and every port individually. I don't see that much has changed in THAT specific regard. But, the rub for me is that the details and challenges to mapping the ports seems to have changed a bit over the last couple of years, which is why I choose to make sure the OS will actually install first before investing the time needed to manually go through each and every port detail.

Here is the generic EFI folder. And remember, create your own SMBIOS as this one may not work. And if you get a black screen, fiddle with the boot-args under the NVRAM section of your config.plist.

SMBIOS creation under platform info on this page of the instructions:
Again, thanks for posting the EFI folder. I will comb through it to find what is missing (or extra) in the one I have created for BigSur/Monterey. It will probably be some tiny detail that I missed in the various docs. A working Monterey EFI will be a huge help in finding the problem(s).

Yeah... It's no good. I went through, comparing every setting, every driver, every file date. And, I even tried loading my SMBIOS into your plist and booting with it. same results.

There is something else happening here that I can't see. So, I'm just leaving it for another time. But thank you for your assistance with the attempt to install Monterey.

Yeah... It's no good. I went through, comparing every setting, every driver, every file date. And, I even tried loading my SMBIOS into your plist and booting with it. same results.

There is something else happening here that I can't see. So, I'm just leaving it for another time. But thank you for your assistance with the attempt to install Monterey.
Sorry it didn't work out. I would keep plugging, though. Monterey works really well once you figure out the USBMap. :)

Sorry it didn't work out. I would keep plugging, though. Monterey works really well once you figure out the USBMap. :)
No worries and thanks again for the data.

There must be some kind of hardware issue causing these lockups and black screens. This isn't my first rodeo by any means. But, this particular system has proven to be extremely resistant to the concept of moving past Catalina.

The USB issue shouldn't be an overriding problem. I mean, you have to complete the OS installation in the first place or there is no way (or reason) to map the USB ports. Right? There is always a working USB2 port somewhere on the back panel.

So, 'chicken vs egg' logic implies there should be a way to actually install the OS before concerning one's self about mapping USB ports.

Others' success with Big Sur and Monterey on this same board indicates that I need to strip hardware to find the source of the offending piece of code.

The Broadcom card could be deprecated (although I 'think' I see it successfully configured in the verbose messages flying past sometimes) I have a WD Red 12Gb and a Samsung 870QVO that could even cause issues I suppose. If the Sapphire RX 5700XT is the problem, then I will need to find a way around that. The possibilities are many. So, I will wait until I have more time to sort it. It WILL be done. It's just a matter of 'when'.

Have a Great Day/Evening!

Maybe helpful information to others:

On my NAS, I have every installer released since High Sierra's final version... I took the Big Sur 11.2.1 installer (as suggested in the OpenCore Monterey docs) but, I initially got similar (read: bad) results - although the thing 'ALMOST' made it to finishing the final file copying before throwing a 'unknown error occurred...'.

Because the installer is 'old', Inspiration struck! Actually, it was RTFM Struck! So, I went into BIOS and turned the system date back to September 2021 and turned off my router to make sure no internet connection was possible during installation. It worked! --> Now running 11.2.1 But, I don't dare try to take it any farther because, of uncertainty regarding the changes in 11.3 that broke hackintosh USB. *doing more reading*

Thanks so much for posting your build and your guide Mr. Popman! I did this a couple of months ago and finally found some time to report:

I went with the following hardware:
  • Gigabyte Z490 Aorus Elite MB
  • Intel i5-10500 (65W)
  • Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700 XT
  • BCM943602CDPAX+20703A2, 4.2 (native WiFi & Bluetooth 4.2)
  • NVMe SSD WD Black SN750 2TB
I decided on OpenCore 0.7.0 and macOS 11.2.3 (20D91) and used your kexts with a slight adjustment for the USBMap.kext. I chose a 65W processor for a quieter and cooler build. Comet Lake processors i7-10700K and lower need to use the iMac20,1 signature in SMBIOS (see OpenCore PlatformInfo) and I needed to change the model identifier in your USBMap.kext to iMac 20,1 (see OpenCore USBMapping).

This was a really interesting journey that took me about a week of getting the hardware, learning about OpenCore and getting to an optimized system. I really like this build, especially the native Wifi and Bluetooth solution using Apple Wireless cards (see Wireless Airport Adapters).

Thanks to Dortania, hackintosh, insanelymac and the community here!

@tofuconfetti @HackinMax I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I have not been receiving notifications and I have busy with work and life so was not browsing this site. IIRC the way I mapped the USB ports was to follow the Dortania guide using the Intel approach at the 'parting ways' area that used the USBMap tool. I had only my keyboard and mouse plugged in during this and used a both a USB3 and USB2 thumb drive as the device I plugged into each port in succession to achieve the mapping. This was most of a day's work which is part of the reason I documented the ports so throughly, as I didn't want to do it again if I want to change something.

I have not at this time looked into installing Big Sur nor Monterey as neither is required for my work just yet and am still on Opencore 0.7.0 and Catalina 10.15.7 with the latest security builds.

@tofuconfetti @HackinMax I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but I have not been receiving notifications and I have busy with work and life so was not browsing this site. IIRC the way I mapped the USB ports was to follow the Dortania guide using the Intel approach at the 'parting ways' area that used the USBMap tool. I had only my keyboard and mouse plugged in during this and used a both a USB3 and USB2 thumb drive as the device I plugged into each port in succession to achieve the mapping. This was most of a day's work which is part of the reason I documented the ports so throughly, as I didn't want to do it again if I want to change something.

I have not at this time looked into installing Big Sur nor Monterey as neither is required for my work just yet and am still on Opencore 0.7.0 and Catalina 10.15.7 with the latest security builds.
No problem on the late reply. I eventually figured it out using your initial map, which was REALLY helpful. I later did some research on using Linux (fairly fluent) and Windows, which was also very helpful, to map out the USB tree. Then after studying your map, I also realized that you mapped some of the hubs as well, which made perfect sense after looking at the layout of the motherboard. I had not thought of that. So after an hour or so of plugging in USB 2.0 and 3.0 flash drives, I have a perfect map for me. And seriously, thanks for posting yours. It really helped enormously.

And, for what it's worth, Monterey runs great on this board so far using Opencore 0.7.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back