Contribute
Register

(SUCCESS) Gigabyte Z390 UD -Open Core 0.6.3

Hello budy, how are you?
I have a z390 UD just like yours.
I currently use Mojave and want to install Big Sur.
Turns out I'm having problems installing big sur with opencore.
After starting the installation and the machine restarting, I enter the SSD installation to continue, it spends some time installing and stops with the following message:
An error occurred applying the software update.
It's a clean SSD, I'm not upgrading.

Could you send me the EFI of the big sur installation pendrive?

appreciate
This will be a work in progress, so check back for updates. There isn't a lot of build info for the Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard so when I got it up and running earlier this year I cobbled together a clover configuration that has worked fine using some help from another thread, but I did not believe it would work with Catalina. I took it on as a project for both my computer(Z390 Gaming M) and my son's(Z390 UD) to build an open core EFI from scratch so I would understand the setup better.

This is an EFI built from scratch using the open core configuration guide for 0.6.3. Intended use is for a Gigabyte Z390 UD with dGPU(RX580 or similar. I am using Sapphire Pulse Rx580) and uses the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS description.

I was able to use this EFI with both Mojave, and then update using software update to Catalina 10.15.7.

This EFI uses NVRAM. BIOS should be updated to F10J with the config lock disabled.

Recommended BIOS settings are below.

• Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Boot > CSM Support > Disabled
  • Settings > IO Ports > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port > Disabled
  • Boot > CFG Lock > Disabled
  • Boot> Operating System>Windows 8/10
  • IGPU - >Disabled

Open core recommends some other settings which I used but I don't believe are critical as the ones above. I will post these later.

A few things. If you are moving from Clover, I would recommend clearing NVRAM after you reach the open canopy picker screen. Then once you boot into MacOS set your startup disk to your Mojave or Catalina installation.

If you set the picker to "Built-in" and uncheck show picker, it will boot up faster, but if you want to be able to switch between windows and macOS, then keep the picker.

Using Open core configurator, open the config.plist and either copy in your UUID and serial number or generate new ones. These values have been cleared in the attached EFI. If you switch from Clover you will need to sign into iCloud again.

The USB ports are mapped using a aml file I found in another post.

This USB aml file I also used with clover and has been working fine.

View attachment 495019

Hello budy, how are you?
I have a z390 UD just like yours.
I currently use Mojave and want to install Big Sur.
Turns out I'm having problems installing big sur with opencore.
After starting the installation and the machine restarting, I enter the SSD installation to continue, it spends some time installing and stops with the following message:
An error occurred applying the software update.
It's a clean SSD, I'm not upgrading.

Could you send me the EFI of the big sur installation pendrive?

appreciate

I am still on Catalina for the Z390 UD build. OpenCore 0.6.4 had some important fixes needed for the newer versions of Big Sur. I have a newer opencore EFI I can post this weekend that may help.

Attached is the 0.6.7 OpenCore EFI. Note the current version is 0.7.2 but I have not bothered updating my Z390 UD build to it. Updating to 0.6.7 from 0.6.3 may resolve some issues upgrading to Big Sur if that is something you are trying to do.

Before you use this EFI, if you were using the 0.6.3 in the first post, you must follow these instructions or you will screw your system up. Most details can be found in these instructions.

With your existing EFI that is presently being used to boot your system, do the following. Open up the config.plist with a plist editor. Change Bootprotect to None as shown below. Save the file.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.05.07 PM.png

You then must reboot your system and clear your NVRAM in the Opencore picker. I would recommend doing this twice.

Once you have done this, then you should be safe to update your EFI to the one attached to this post. Make sure to copy in your serial #s from your 0.6.3 EFI comparing the Platform section to your existing config.plist.

Screen Shot 2021-09-10 at 4.21.02 PM.png

Attachments

• EFI_Z390_Gigabyte_UD_0.6.7.zip
    8.7 MB · Views: 260
Last edited:
I'm not actually upgrading, I'm doing a clean install on a zeroed SSD.
I was stuck in Mojave because my old M-audio Profire 610 only had a (modified) driver up to it.

In my attempt, I went straight to 0.72.
I'll try with what you gave me now and return the result here.

Just one more question, does this EFI work for the installation USB stick too or is it just for when everything is already ok?

Thank you for your help

(I'm sorry for the google translated English)

I'm not actually upgrading, I'm doing a clean install on a zeroed SSD.
I was stuck in Mojave because my old M-audio Profire 610 only had a (modified) driver up to it.

In my attempt, I went straight to 0.72.
I'll try with what you gave me now and return the result here.

Just one more question, does this EFI work for the installation USB stick too or is it just for when everything is already ok?

Thank you for your help

(I'm sorry for the google translated English)

Yes, this EFI will work for installation with a USB stick. Let me know what happens.

Attachments

• IMG_20210911_094024.jpg
    IMG_20210911_094024.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 102
I'm not sure what's wrong. I haven't seen that before. Try posting on the Big Sur Installation forum. It doesn't look like you are getting very far into the installation at all.

Hello guys, I managed to solve everything.
I decided to install it by deleting the install file and copying it back to the pendrive. With that the installation completed without problems.

Everything worked on the z390 UD, but the USBs were having a problem.
I did the mapping with the help of hackintool and Opencore Configurator and everything is working.

Detail is that my video card is a RX580 8gb.

I'm sending my EFI to anyone who needs it.
thanks

Attachments

• EFI big sur - z390 ud.zip
    57.5 MB · Views: 185
Hi guys, I have Gigabyte Z390 UD Motherboard with Catalina/Clover and I'm planning to update to Big Sur. Can you please suggest me where to start? Very old Hackintosher but completely new of OC!

Fresh installation and then Migration would be fine?
What do I need for a bootable OC pendrive?

Thank you so much.

Back