Motherboard
MSI Z690 Force
CPU
i9-13900K
Graphics
RX 590
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
This will be a work in progress, so check back for updates. There isn't a lot of build info for the Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard so when I got it up and running earlier this year I cobbled together a clover configuration that has worked fine using some help from another thread, but I did not believe it would work with Catalina. I took it on as a project for both my computer(Z390 Gaming M) and my son's(Z390 UD) to build an open core EFI from scratch so I would understand the setup better.

This is an EFI built from scratch using the open core configuration guide for 0.6.3. Intended use is for a Gigabyte Z390 UD with dGPU(RX580 or similar. I am using Sapphire Pulse Rx580) and uses the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS description.

I was able to use this EFI with both Mojave, and then update using software update to Catalina 10.15.7.

This EFI uses NVRAM. BIOS should be updated to F10J with the config lock disabled.

Recommended BIOS settings are below.

• Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Boot > CSM Support > Disabled
  • Settings > IO Ports > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port > Disabled
  • Boot > CFG Lock > Disabled
  • Boot> Operating System>Windows 8/10
  • IGPU - >Disabled

Open core recommends some other settings which I used but I don't believe are critical as the ones above. I will post these later.

A few things. If you are moving from Clover, I would recommend clearing NVRAM after you reach the open canopy picker screen. Then once you boot into MacOS set your startup disk to your Mojave or Catalina installation.

If you set the picker to "Built-in" and uncheck show picker, it will boot up faster, but if you want to be able to switch between windows and macOS, then keep the picker.

Using Open core configurator, open the config.plist and either copy in your UUID and serial number or generate new ones. These values have been cleared in the attached EFI. If you switch from Clover you will need to sign into iCloud again.

The USB ports were mapped using USB toolbox.

Update 2/25/2023: New EFI posted. I believe it's open 0.8.7. Regenerate platform info as shown in the screenshot before using. Issues with USB mapping should all be fixed with this EFI.

open_core.png

Attachments

• EFI.zip
    10.5 MB · Views: 222
Last edited:
Thank you! Exactly what I'm looking for, as I'm trying to upgrade to BigSur and heard OpenCore is the way to go.

Thanks a lot mate! Managed to boot and install Big Sur on the 1st try, just regenerated the S/Ns. \m/

Thanks a lot mate! Managed to boot and install Big Sur on the 1st try, just regenerated the S/Ns. \m/
Glad to hear it works with Big Sur. I haven't upgraded from Catalina to Big Sur yet. Thanks for posting your feedback.

I don't have success with big sur. In my system it only boots on safe mode. But as I have a perfect EFI with open core 0.6.5 as starting point, I did reinstall catalina and now it works much better than with clover. Boot time is lower and I feel system a little smoother than before.
I've followed dortania's guide and it results in a fix for iMessages too. So I will keep Catalina for the moment.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 18.01.37.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 18.01.37.png
    126.8 KB · Views: 256
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 22.05.58.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 22.05.58.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 292
Good Evening!

It's been a long time but I'm ready to update the old El Capitan Hackintosh and thought I would give Opencore with Catalina a try vs the Clover/Multibeast methods...

I have built the machine with the following hardware:

Intel Core i7-9700K Coffee Lake 8-Core 3.6 GHz (4.9 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I79700K Desktop

GIGABYTE Z390 UD LGA 1151 (300 Series) Intel Z390 SATA 6Gb/s ATX Intel Motherboard

MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT DirectX 12 RX 5500 XT MECH 4G OC 4GB 128-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 HDCP Ready Video Card

G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C16S-32GVK

I'm attempting to follow the Dortania Guide using opencore 0.6.5...
All EFI kext/etc files have been downloaded as suggested by the guide (current as of 21 Jan 2021). I have selected the DEBUG versions if available.

BIOS has been updated to 10J and configured with all recommended settings.

I've gone through everything to try to get the install going but can't get to any kind of installation screen. I'm about 6 iterations in and at a certain point the screen goes black or loses signal. I'm not knowledgeable in reading the verbose output so was hoping the braintrust could help me get to the next step. Thank you in advance for taking the time to look at this post! I've attached several dump file for examination. I changed the deviceproperties PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x2,0x0) AAPL,ig-platform-id setting to the three options in the guide and it didn't make any difference. Hence the multiple dump files. Thanks again for looking and hope I'm not hijacking your thread!

Cheers!

Dominik

Attachments

• opencore-2021-01-21-003920.txt
    256 KB · Views: 254
  • opencore-2021-01-21-004358.txt
    256 KB · Views: 167
  • opencore-2021-01-21-004420.txt
    256 KB · Views: 137
  • opencore-2021-01-21-005000.txt
    256 KB · Views: 135
  • opencore-2021-01-21-005027.txt
    256 KB · Views: 160
  • config.plist
    22.9 KB · Views: 253
  • Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 11.34.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-01-20 at 11.34.55 PM.png
    111.6 KB · Views: 214
THANK YOU for this. Just booting into Catalina, I feel like my hackintosh is working again.

Before I was using Clover, and having SO much trouble with it.

Switching over to your OpenCore was the solution.

Next step is Big Sur!

I just can't thank you enough for your work on this <3 <3 <3 a million thank yous.

good afternoon , can I ask for the open core for Mojave please
I need to downgrade to it

good afternoon , can I ask for the open core for Mojave please
I need to downgrade to it

The EFI in post #1 works for Mojave, Catalina and should work for Big Sur based on the comments in this thread, although I haven't tried Big Sur yet.

This will be a work in progress, so check back for updates. There isn't a lot of build info for the Gigabyte Z390 UD motherboard so when I got it up and running earlier this year I cobbled together a clover configuration that has worked fine using some help from another thread, but I did not believe it would work with Catalina. I took it on as a project for both my computer(Z390 Gaming M) and my son's(Z390 UD) to build an open core EFI from scratch so I would understand the setup better.

This is an EFI built from scratch using the open core configuration guide for 0.6.3. Intended use is for a Gigabyte Z390 UD with dGPU(RX580 or similar. I am using Sapphire Pulse Rx580) and uses the iMacPro1,1 SMBIOS description.

I was able to use this EFI with both Mojave, and then update using software update to Catalina 10.15.7.

This EFI uses NVRAM. BIOS should be updated to F10J with the config lock disabled.

Recommended BIOS settings are below.

• Advanced CPU Settings → VT-d → Disabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Initial Display Output > PCIe 1 Slot
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > Above 4G Decoding > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Settings > IO Ports > USB Configuration > XHCI Hand-off > Enabled
  • Advanced Mode > Boot > CSM Support > Disabled
  • Settings > IO Ports > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port > Disabled
  • Boot > CFG Lock > Disabled
  • Boot> Operating System>Windows 8/10
  • IGPU - >Disabled

Open core recommends some other settings which I used but I don't believe are critical as the ones above. I will post these later.

A few things. If you are moving from Clover, I would recommend clearing NVRAM after you reach the open canopy picker screen. Then once you boot into MacOS set your startup disk to your Mojave or Catalina installation.

If you set the picker to "Built-in" and uncheck show picker, it will boot up faster, but if you want to be able to switch between windows and macOS, then keep the picker.

Using Open core configurator, open the config.plist and either copy in your UUID and serial number or generate new ones. These values have been cleared in the attached EFI. If you switch from Clover you will need to sign into iCloud again.

The USB ports are mapped using a aml file I found in another post.

This USB aml file I also used with clover and has been working fine.

View attachment 495019
Thank you very much men!!!! I can't use it for my actual Mojave SSD working with Clover. I try to migrate to OC but didn't make it boot.
But did work to me downloading Big Sur from Mojave and copy your Efi in a secondary disk. Then made the Big Sur installation process from Mojave in that secondary disk and it works OOB.
Before the installation, i edited the Config with OC Configurator and use iMacPro 18,3 in SMBIOS cause that works for me with dual video card (iGPU + dGPU) with IGPU eneabled in BIOS since Mojave.
Now i have a triple boot with 3 diferent disks. One SSD with Clover and Mojave, wich allows me to boot Windows in another SSD. And the third one HDD with OC for Big Sur. The HDD is kind of slowly, but if Big Sur works fine i will migrate or repeat the process in to a new SSD.
My build is:
Gigabyte Z390 UD
Intel i5 9400 2.9
Nvidia Geforce GT710
16 Gb Ram

Sorry my english, not my native.
Thanks a lot again!!!

Back