Contribute
Register

[SUCCESS] Gigabyte Z370m-D3H, i5-8400, GTX 1060 3gb, 16gb Ram, High Sierra.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you connected to your monitor by HDMI cable?

hmm I might switch back to HDMI. I was using HDMI before but currently using DVI. my problem with DRM protected iTunes is that the video opens but I just get a black screen and nothing plays. I will get back to you to see if things work later today.

Are you connected to your monitor by HDMI cable?

hi mate, just tried HDMI connection, no good. purchased iTunes DRM videos still won't play. just getting a black screen basically and the scrubbing bar doesn't move...

hi mate, just tried HDMI connection, no good. purchased iTunes DRM videos still won't play. just getting a black screen basically and the scrubbing bar doesn't move...

Okay, sorry again.

Well that *does* sound like your problem is still the old, well-known one that Lilu/Shiki usually fixes. I can't understand what's unusual about your hardware that's getting in the way of them working.

Did you try installing the kexts in Library/Extensions instead? Might make no difference and you'll need to rebuild the kext-cache if you remove them again etc. For me they worked in EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other which doesn't require a cache rebuild if you remove anything.

can you share your EFI folder?thanks

I appreciate @trs96' s explanation. But as you ask for example so here it goes.

My Original mac mini's config: Core i5 (4th gen) 2.5 ghz , HD Graphics 4000, 16gb ddr3 ram & 500gb hdd

I usually do multitasking with Xcode 9, Xcode simulator, firefox, skype, photoshop, mail and the performance is poor. I dare not to open other applications like itunes, photos or numbers as the machine periodically hangs if I use them.

Now, my Hakintosh's config: Core i3(6th gen) 3.7 ghz, HD Graphics 530, 8gb ddr4 ram, 500gb hdd

Here I ran the same applications & the performance is much better. I don't hesitate to open other applications also.

Thank you your reply, but I think here are more important difference. DDR3 vs. DDR4 and 4th gen vs. 6th gen.
I think these hardware not comparable, and I understand why core i3 is better than older i5. :)

Did you try installing the kexts in Library/Extensions instead? Might make no difference and you'll need to rebuild the kext-cache if you remove them again etc.

I don't understand this - are you suggesting I rebuild the kext-cache? how do I do that?

EDIT: I just checked - I have lilu and shiki installed in BOTH library/extensions AND the kexts/other. should I delete the set from one folder instead? I get the feeling it ain't gonna work anyway...

I don't understand this - are you suggesting I rebuild the kext-cache? how do I do that?

EDIT: I just checked - I have lilu and shiki installed in BOTH library/extensions AND the kexts/other. should I delete the set from one folder instead? I get the feeling it ain't gonna work anyway...

I doubt any of this will change your black-screen video playback problem but you never know ...

Some people like to keep third-party kexts in L/E, while others prefer CLOVER/kexts/Other. Apple added L/E as a location precisely for this purpose. Clover added their own folder to put certain kexts right at the beginning of the boot process.

Personally I favour EFI/CLOVER/kexts/Other for two reasons: 1) There is no need to rebuild any caches if you remove kexts, and 2) This leaves the basic macOS system pretty much untouched and as Apple intended (AppleHDA being perhaps an exception).

Your two sets will probably work fine where they are if the pairs are identical versions, but if you remove them from L/E then rebuild your kext-caches.

There are a few ways to achieve this:

You can boot with the "-f" command-line to ignore installed caches.

In Terminal I use:
Code:
sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel
sudo kextcache -system-caches

... and apparently you can also use:
Code:
sudo kextcache -I /

:)

Last edited:
many thanks to @sirmipsalot for this valuable tip!

I installed the updated, rebooted and wtf... still 10.13.4.

So I installed again but this time selecting the “mac OS install” option in clover which is next to the normal booting icon I select and did that TWICE - it went through a process like it was installing High Sierra. then after two reboots, the “mac OS install” option disappeared, and I was only left with my normal booting icon which I selected and then got into the a screen with the apple icon and beneath it “completing installation: about XX minutes remaining” which in my case was 18 long nervous minutes...

But, hurrah! success. Nvidia driver had to be updated. audio working, but USB3 broken (again)...

updated to 10.13.5 today - see post above in the High Sierra thread. took me a few goes and false reboots but I got there.

Funny thing is that my Bluetooth is working now - it wasn't before. so that's great! and handoff is working now too which is another plus).

But then the update broke my USB3 functionality. So I am back to having to use @RehabMan's fix again. will give that a go sometime this coming week and then report back again.

My hack will be perfect once the USB3 issue is fixed.

EDIT 10/6/2018:

Thought I would just try a simple solution which was to run the latest version of MultiBeast and selected all 3 of the fixes - USBinjectAll, the USB3 fix and wallaaah!!! most of the USB 3 ports are working now - the front USB3 and the back 2 on the top are working. The 4 USB3 ports surrounding the network port still not recognises USB3 devices but will take USB2 devices. So all in all, I have 3 working USB3 ports which is good enough for my usage.

SO...

I am happy to report that I have (near) FULLY WORKING hackintosh - everything works - audio, USB3 (most of the ports anyway), handoff, continuity, bluetooth, wifi, unlock with watch, etc etc.

the *only* thing that remains a problem is playing DRM iTunes videos - that doesn't work. this shiki and lilu patches have not worked. iTunes music that I have bought works.

otherwise - everything else works, I am a very happy man right now... awesomeness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back